Author Topic: FYI  (Read 10472 times)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
FYI
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:06:49 AM »
http://realestate.msn.com/Improve/Article_pm.aspx?cp-documentid=8773455&GT1=35000

the PAINTSMITH

Re: FYI
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:17 AM »
I can honestly say that I've never met anyone in all my years as a painter who got headaches from the smell of latex drying on a wall...Not one.

The sister-in-law of a guy I worked with claimed to be deathly allergic to latex and wet paint specifically...I cracked up the day she went into a Safeway for groceries, spent an hour or so navigating around ladders, tarps and scaffolding (it seems the store was being remodelled), and while checking out she asked the cashier what was going on...The SECOND that the cashier told her the ceiling was being painted the woman passed out with an allergic reaction...

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
I will say that some of the primers like 123 that have ammonia smell, or Gardz with who knows what can get to me some.  But paint itself - NP.

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »
You know, I have always found it strange that I actually like the smell of 1-2-3.  Always have.  Can't explain why.

What gets to me is using BIN indoors, or those aerosol cans of oil based texture...

But I agree with PS.  Not to say that allergies to latex fumes don't exist - hey, I ain't an allergist, that's for sure - but I would bet that a true allergic reaction to latex fumes must be extraordinarily rare.

I tend to believe the vast majority of "allergic reactions" in these situations are subconsciously self-induced by particularly suggestible people and/or hypochondriacs.  Not to sound too harsh to those very few folks who have legitimate physical allergies to latex paint fumes - but it is clear that they are among the extreme minority of those who make the claim.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
Sorry Guys, but some of the latex paints make me sneeze my head off & give me a terrible headache. I know which ones they are so I stay away form them if possible.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
I recently had a customer who commited that paint gives her a headache, and she should leave because she was feeling a headache coming on. I had only been on the job for about 2 hours. I had not even popped the lid on a can yet and was still filling nail holes and mudding rough spots.  ::)