Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 362136 times)

the PAINTSMITH

The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:41:46 AM »
I think it's past due to start an introductory thread...So here's one. You're all welcome to share your name, rank and serial number, and brag about your achievements in the painting field...or barn...or kitchen, bath, laundry, mudroom, family room, livingroom, stairwell, shop, bedroom1, 2 and 3, dining room, garage, etc., etc., ad infinitum... :)

I'll start;

Hi, I'm Eric and I'm an incurable detailaholic. I've been in the painting trade since 1989 and have no problem telling folks that I'm good at it, likely a by-product of enjoying it so much. I've been through the 3-year journeyman program, worked in such challenging climates as Cheyenne Wyoming, Phoenix Arizona and now, for the last few years, in midwest Minnesnowta, back where I grew up. Besides painting I spent a LOT of time training in the commercial caulking field...

...Like I said, I'm good, but that doesn't mean that I know either everything or what it's called...

Offline Part-timer

Re:The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:12:12 AM »
Well, now that I'm snowed in here in southern PA, I'll introduce myself....

My name is Tim and as you can tell from my user name, I've just committed to painting on a part-time basis. I've actually been teaching special needs kids for eight years, but I've always painted as a summer job all thru high school, college, and now as a teacher. I just got tired of working for other guys who were only ever worried with how fast you can paint. My biggest dilemma now is how hard to advertise? I don't have enough time to do too many jobs, but in order to operate off of a "word of mouth" basis, I have to at least get a few jobs under my belt in order for those people to spread the word. Anyway, I've already learned a lot from the pro's on this sight. I check in often to pick up as many tips as I can.

Roll On,
TIM

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:47:27 PM »
good evening, brush masters.

I'm disappointed that it took me this long to find your forum.

I'm a custom residential repainter. My specialty areas are cabinet painting and window staining.

I'm a user of the Corona Brush and a recent convert to Muralo Ultra Ceramic paints.

Looking forward to participating in the interesting discussions and hopefully learning. One is never too old or experienced to learn from others.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Tally Painter

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:44 PM »
:D
Hey, everyone.  How I got into the paint business is a strange story.  On old friend wanted to come over to "talk to me about a "business opportunity".  This guy was a born salesman, and I waw dying to hear what BS he was going to try and lay on me this time. Frrankly I thought it was Amway or something.   Turns out that his family had been in the paint/stain business for several years.  My friend was a true craftsmsn.  I had not known about this part of his life.  

He knew that I had a lot of credibility/contacts, and he wanted to work closer to home.   In turn for "teaching me the trade" I was to get leads near Sioux Falls/Brandon area.  

Because of the mans age and health he had more patience to teach me how to do things right, rather take over.  ( I'm sorry to say I catch myself doing that with new people).  

Anyway, true to my word we got some work in our home area, and were finishing a commercail job out of town,  things were going great.

Before the commercail job was complete, he died.  I lost my freind and paint mentor, never have been able to replace him but I have tried.

There has been a lot of activitiy over the past several years. I'll bore you all with the rest of the details some other time.  

Offline rickied

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »
Hi everyone. My name is Rickie Dianne or Rickied. I have managed the office for years in the insurance biz and for the last year for a paint contractor. After we were sold to another paint contractor the two females in the group decided to start our own paint contracting biz. Working for and owning it are two different animals so I went to the web to do my homework. Thank God I found this site. You are honest. You are serious but light hearted. You give good answers but aren't rude about it. I ordered two of the three books that were recommended. I easily obtained  the book by Tobe and the Cost Estimator. Trying to find the book by Dennis Gleason is out. Unless one of you guys would part with it for a while so I can read it. I did find it in England for over $150.00. I can't go there. I go do my first bid today. This is going to be so much fun :D. I'll be back soon for answers to tons of questions and I know you have the answers. I'll go to the question page when I have a moment and see if I can find the answer to a question about the Gleason book and is their a professional painters association we need to belong to.Have a great day.
Rickied 8)

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »
Hi, my name is rivdog, im a painting contractor in MA.  The last few years Ive been on one project..  New const, luxury single family condos.  Basically an overpriced single home that u dont have to take care of.  The assn does it for u.  Ive been lucky enough to hook up w/ a builder that has done 90, $350,000 to $850,000 homes in the last 5 yrs.  sept 11 has scared a lot of new yorkers and whatnot into buying 2nd homes where i live.  The Berkshires,in Western Mass.  The 2nd home market is expanding rapidly.  And price doesnt seem to be an option.  But my developer is savvy, so im not making a killing.   Just a nice check.  I consider myself a production painter.  We spray all that we can.  We have a SW 395 that we spray dwall with and a Graco 4900 w remote 2 gal pot for trim and doors.  I also consider myself a student of fine finishing, and am always looking for tricks of the trade to make my finishes nicer.  Ive found this site to be very informative and its mods to be very knowledgeable.  Keep up the good work.  It is guys like u that give painters a god rep.
Git er done!

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 08:02:39 AM »
Hello Masters,
My name is Ray and I’ve been in business for about 10 years now. First I started painting as a part time/summer job while I was at school. However, for the past four years I have been painting as a full timer. I used to do lots of repaint, and lately I do lots of new construction luxury houses (4M and up). I don’t claim to be the best painter out there; however, I’m open to new ideas and not shy to say I don’t know. After all I studied computer science and telecommunication for 6 years only to find out that I like painting better. I did work in the corporate world for two years, and that experience made me realize that I like painting more than all other options that I had at the time. Things have worked out well for me in the past two years and I managed to keep busy all year round. I just hope the construction of new houses doesn’t slow down any time soon.

Cheers,
Ray the painter
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline Fred

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:27:08 AM »
Hi,
 Just found you all and it's a breath of fresh air compared to another board that shall remain nameless >:(
Anyway I've been painting for awhile now and have been running my own buisness for 3 years. each year is better and better.We do new constrution almost exclusively. It's a pleasure to read your posts and hope I can bring something to this board, thanks for having me .
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:47:35 AM »
Great to have you Fred! Feel welcome to add your individuality and knowledge to ours...

Offline Marlin Rando

• "Randall the Handle" is my man
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
Hey guys and gals,
My names randy and I've bin in the paint biz for 3 years.  I started my own company 2 years ago.  We work alongside a few interior desingers and a few real estate agents.  I'm still growing my company and are just starting to find the right guys to run the sites when I'm not around.  I'm 27 years old and this is my first carreer path.  I couldn't be more pleased with the work and the rewards that owning your own company provides.  My main concern right now is to keep the crew working full time.  I need to find more way to land jobs, now that I have the crew to work them.  This forum is great for me, I love to talk paint.  Thanks, Oh and I'm also a proffesional percussionist, check out our bands we site nuffsed.com.  If any of you are ever in seattle WA check out a show.  
Rando
Marlin Rando

Offline tom38118

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:29 PM »
Greetings' y'all, rom Memphis, TN. My name is Tom and I'm just making my entry(re-entry?) into the painting business. I did it part time in the early 80's while stationed in Las Vegas in the Air Force. I just finished the interior part  of my first job since getting back into it. It's a whole house job for a guy whose elderly sister recently passed away leaving the house to him. For the last several years she lived with about a dozen cats(no litter boxes) and this place was a mess. They sprayed the walls to as high as whatever furniture they happened to be on and cat mess was smeared in several places down low. A lot of washing and primer and it came out great. I was meticulous.(y;all woulda been proud.) Now to the outside. It's gonna take a lot of scraping and caulking but all the boards seem to be in great shape.  Already have my next job lined up. Exterior and ceilings of a half million dollar home belonging to the head pharmacist for a hospital. Am hoping this one can really lead to some great word of mouth. (fingers crossed) This is a great forum and I am learning a lot. Hopefully, I'll be a ble to contribute some as well. Thanks for being here.

dawn_l_99

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 06:41:08 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I was so glad to find this site.  It is full of interesting and helpful info and its nice to find someplace where you can talk to other professionals in this field.  I have started my own business and if it ever stops raining here, I could get back to work.  

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 03:43:19 PM »
My name is Chad, from Louisiana.  Started painting with my mother who has her own business when I was 13. Im 24 now so its safe to say i've been painting for 11 years.  

We worked together until about 4 years ago when i decided to branch off on my own. We still team up often on bigger jobs. We do stictly residential re-paint jobs except on a few occasions: Faux finished a nail salon, went behind a new constuction job that the owner tried to do himself.

Being so young in the business, you can imagine how often i get turned down for jobs.  But, I love my job, and am sticking to my guns.  

My business philosophy: I'm well worth my price, trustworthy, honest, meticulous, do one job at a time until the customer is completely satisfied, throw in a little lagniape (that means something extra here in Louisiana), give back if I have over charged.

Advertising: Only by word of mouth, wouldnt have it any other way.

In Conclusion: I've used this site for advice in the past and its nice to be able to come here for opinions and advice.  Looking forward to learning more and giving advice where I can.

Offline hayseed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 07:10:32 PM »
Hi, I am Dallas, from Rosenberg, Texas (outside of Houston).  I own an interior remodeling company called Dalco Construction Services.  We mainly work in the Southwest suburbs of Houston, primarily Sugar Land.

I keep three full time employees, and rotate another two or three in when I need them.  I have a strict policy that all of my workers are legal to work in the U.S.  In Texas, only about 5% of the construction companies work this way.

We do full service interior remodeling.  Subcontractors are used only for things like granite countertops.  Our strongest fields are tile, custom cabinetry/finish carpentry, and paint.  We do a lot of bathrooms, and make high quality custom showers.

Prior to starting my company, I was in the oil and gas business where I managed sales and marketing for a small manufacturer of electronic equipment.

I got into the remodeling business by remodeling my own home, and then taking that little bit of knowledge into other people's homes.  95% of my knowledge was acquired through reading or trial and error.

This is a great forum.  I just wish that it got more traffic.

Thanks,

Dallas

Offline Asbestos

• what's in your hair?
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »
I have been painting part time about 2 years now. still get 20% of the paint on me, but I am real fussy about the job looking good. I don't care what I look like at the end of the day, they are not paying me to stay pretty. I paint as a sidline to general repair/construction work (I don't like the word 'handyman' as that is often a euphmism for 'too stupid to stay employed in one trade'  I am doing several small jobs now.
"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts."
  --  Edmund Burke