Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 363433 times)

Offline socorroscott

Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
Hi all.  My name is Scott, and I am just finishing my first year of being a licensed painting contractor with about 12 years as a full time pro painter.  I knew at 19 that i was going to be painting for a career.  I also climb a lot of rocks.  I teach and guide climbing, as well as write climbing books.  This works quite well for me.  I climb more in the winter, and paint more in the summer.  though I do both year round.  I paint a lot of victorian exteriors.  I love the detail. 
Things i have found out in my first year of running my business:
- its much easier working long hours when is all for yourself
- Jack of all trades, Master of none- accounting and taxes are overwhelming. looking for an accountant.
- word of mouth is awesome, but not enough for just starting out.  gonna start advertising
- if you do good work in a small town, folks seem to really try to keep you around.

Things i am still trying to figure out after my first year
- How do i figure out what my competitors are charging?  i will not be the cheapest, but i still need to be competitive.
- How do i get on the bidding lists for traveling paint jobs? hotels, apartments, custom jobs away from my town when work is slow
- should i join the PDCA?
well i am excited about this forum, you guys dish out a lot of good info.  Thanks for all the help

Offline Barry

• PF Greenhorn
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Barry and I'm from Iowa, where I first started painting while in my 20's, and then moved to South Dakota, where I am still doing it part-time alongside my job as a software/website developer.

Stats:  Graco & Titan; SW & ICI/Glidden (primaries) + BM; Spray, Brush & Roll; Res. ext. primarily + res. int. + decks/fences + occasional smaller comm/retail/apt complex jobs.

I first got started in the painting business 11 years ago working for my best friend, who had started his business "under the wing" of his father, who was a succcessful painting contractor for 40+  years (R.I.P. Bob).  If I had the opportunity to do a real apprenticeship, I just might have, but those things don't ever seem to be advertised, available or well known in places that I have lived, so I've done my absolute best to learn as much as possible from those two guys, and I still feel like a noob every so often (make that every day!).  I really love painting, the satisfaction from a job well done, "that new smell", the way a piece of furniture looks magnificent 2 hours after you put down the HVLP (who cares if it was paint-grade!), etc.  Painting/staining/varnishing is relaxing to me, which is part of the reason I do it still.  I derive huge enjoyment out of the look of a finished job.

I think this forum is excellent and I have enjoyed immensely the information I have gleaned from the threads.  There are some incredibly knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum -- for their participation here I am immensely thankful as I have learned and continue to learn so much.  I feel privileged to be able to even read posts here, let alone post anything myself.  This is like Painters' College -- for real.  I have taken a break from painting for the last two years (very young kids) and am back at it again -- but struggling with understanding and implementing the new EPA/RRP stuff, which didn't exist to my knowledge when I started "the sabbatical".

Parting Thoughts:  Painting (well) is so much more of an art+science combo than most homeowners realize.  We have to be part chemist, monkey (on the ladders), artist, hard-nosed business-person, diplomat, bombproof b/s detector, and part "glutton for punishment".  Only those who really enjoy the painting process and the "give and take" of business seem to overcome the many obstacles, look their jobs straight in the eye, conquer, and have positive outcomes in this business.  "Throw your heart over the bar and the body will follow."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:42:28 PM by Barry »
"Throw your heart over the bar and the body will follow."

Offline RedPalmed

« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »
Hey all! I'm a contractor in Central Indiana. I mostly do indoor jobs since the outdoor painting season is so short here in the Midwest. I've been in business for about five years, and my business has been picking up a lot lately! This summer I have 10 guys on my crew. In previous years I've only had 2-3.

Does anyone know of any project estimating software that is customized for painters?

Offline hermungus

« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »
hey most venerable paint masters.  my thanks for your unselfish sharing of wisdom.
     at 53, I may be a bit old and rickety to begin a painting business, but technically, I was in a similar trade as a journeyman for many years.  I was an old school sign writer until I finally accepted (sometime mid eighties) that the computer technology could not be denied and hung up my brushes.
     the good news is that my back up trade and passion became my vocation and I became the best detail carpenter I could... many tricks learned from a similar forum over on 'fine homebuilding's breaktime'.
     I used to  love trimming a house and telling the homeowner..."if the painter doesn't say "wow" then I'll come back and give you fifty bucks".    I always got the unsolicited 'wow' and never had to pay out.
I became best friends with a painter jim, who came up to me on a job once shaking his head to tell me he didn't use a whole tube of caulk in the entire house-- i said "is that uncommon?"  well anyway, I learned some of the strokes and protocols from jim and many other painters i worked with over the next few years, and always enjoyed showing off for my painters... (you know how every jackass thinks he can paint?...I wasn't that arrogant  especially when they'd humble me with a tricky little cut in like the perfectly coped little piece of base top less than an inch wide between wall and door jamb.)
     well, the economy tanked, but I can't blame that for my downturn... I had a breakdown and lost interest in everything... almost life.
     here, several years later I have again embraced a passion and am attempting to make it a viable additon to my existing career and hope the two trades will compliment each other perfectly... sad part is though, i don't get to hear the painter say 'wow'.

Offline madochio

• been in this wayyyyy toooo lonnnnggggg
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
my name is Mike A and i have been in nearly all areas of painting for 20 years  (painting, selling and rep) right now i am working sales in a local paint store (i will not state where due to spam issues and i have no intention of selling while on this forum,)  in MN.
i started working as a PT painter in college for about 5 years, after which i started working at SW.  7 years later and running 5 stores it was time to settle down and moved back home to the twin cities. Which is were i am now (10 years) I am using this forum to be better informed on the 'every changing world in which we live in". Also it is nice to hear about new products and old as well.  talking with people across the states everyone has a way of doing things all which can or cannot work but it is interesting to read about them. As well as passing info on to DIY and con't as well.
i have sold/used  BM,SW,Devoe, Sikkens, Hirshfields, Pratt and Lambert, ML Campbel, Valspar pro line, along with about 30 others that i recall. and i will be happy to help in anywya that i can

Offline mistcoat

• Before & After Painting Company
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
Things i am still trying to figure out after my first year
- How do i figure out what my competitors are charging?  i will not be the cheapest, but i still need to be competitive.

Hello and welcome to all that have joined since my last visit here  ;D

socorroscott, you gotta know what you need to charge, not your competition. We all have different overheads and figures that are going to be different to what the competition has.
Whatever it is going to cost to keep your business "alive" is what you are going to need to charge my friend!
Happy Days!!!

Offline ashlarpainters

• Painting & Decorating in Leicester, Derby, Notts
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Hello to all, Ashlar Commercial Painter here from Nottingham, England.

Work tends to tackle business premises, be it restaurants, hotels, schools & colleges, industrial units and warehouses.

Look forward to joining the community here on painterforum.com

Offline mistcoat

• Before & After Painting Company
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
Hello to all, Ashlar Commercial Painter here from Nottingham, England.

Work tends to tackle business premises, be it restaurants, hotels, schools & colleges, industrial units and warehouses.

Look forward to joining the community here on painterforum.com

Blimey, every forum I pop into lately has a Brit member I have seen.
Welcome from a Kent fella!

Beware of this guy from Loxley, 
he knew the Sheriff of his County    and King Richard    Not to mention a Fat Friar 
Happy Days!!!

Offline Paul Tinsley

• Paul Tinsley Decorating
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »

Hello everybody, yet another Brit here lol. Unlike Ashlar i tend to do more residential works.

Mistcoat I couldn't agree more!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:20:43 PM by Paul Tinsley »

Offline rochelepainting.com.au

« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
Hi Everyone.

Our painting business is called Rochele Painting (www.rochelepainting.com.au) We are a family business since 1975.  We paint houses and commercial properties in QLD Australia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRj0ElRGQ_E

Offline KBP

• www.KevinPalmerPainting.com
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
Hi everyone. My name is Kevin Palmer and I'm new to this forum. I am a residential painting contractor in Simsbury, CT. We are a small company and work primarily with repeat business and from referrals.  We do interior and exterior painting as well as pressure washing and roof cleaning. I look forward to contributing to and learning from the collective.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Welcome Kevin.

Offline murcorick

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Rick and I am a fairly new Marketing Manager for Murco Wall Products, Inc. focused on paint and primer marketing and sales.  I am trying to find get ideas about what we can do to improve our products and get them out into the market despite our humble small business position in the Paint Manufacturing Industry.  I am not trying to sell to you just get ideas and find out more about the industry and different markets.  Thanks!

Offline Thesnapshield

• 28 years of experience. Inventor.Work for Workers!
    • Thesnapshield.com
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Here it goes! I have been painting for over 28 years and now due to motorcycle accident and arthritis I can't climb anymore.  I do however have lots of experience and know a few good practices. I am also an inventor. Good work!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:06:13 AM by Thesnapshield »
Felipe Queiroz
28 years of experience
Now I work for the workers
Thesnapshield.com

Offline ThePaintedElbo

« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Hi folks, I'm an owner-operator Painting contractor in Marin county CA, just got my EPA Certificate and found your thread about it here. A lot of talent and great advise here... With all the new rules I can use all the help I can find ???

anything