Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 328052 times)

Offline Kmac

Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »
Hey folks,

My name is Keith. I painted part time for about 8 years as a second job. Heading out full time after the holidays like I have been wanting to do for a couple of years now. I have been checking out this site for a while now and think that it is great. Fantastic advice and no need to feel unsure to ask a question.

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »
Hi Guys

Just wanted to say Hey,  I’ve been out here for a while now reading the posts, learned a lot, thank you all, names Kevin though sometimes I go by Will.                                                                           Will I. Grababruski.  ::)

I was forced into this business due to being so damned tired of getting laid off from factory work, changes in the auto industry in this area, NE Ohio, is affecting a lot of  industry and people.

Part time for the last 5 years I was the friendly Helping Hand Handyman, : ). One hot summer day after being layoff again; quit a few beautiful summer weeks, I got off the hammock, after a squirrel dropped a nut on my head, I made a phone call and had an ad in the next days paper, got 9 calls the very next day, heck that was easy, : ) been busy ever since (for the most part). It got to be that I needed help to survive so I figured I'd help others and in turn they'd help me, remarkable, who would of thought it.  :o Well this past June I had to go full time, now I’m “General Home Maintenance & Painting”, your Helping Hand Handyman, Specializing in those jobs you just can’t get to, a Senior Citizens best friend…

I’ve never liked the term “handyman”, too many people think “cheap labor”, but it does explain what I do, General Home Maintenance & Painting helps show them this is a real business and not just some heyhoo in a station wagon.

My painting skills are getting a lot better, all repaints, from what I hear about contractors, I‘ll stick to repaints. I really enjoy painting, it’s something I feel I’m good at. This winter has me real concerned. I haven’t done any  advertising in a couple of years, which is working, but there needs to be a lot more big jobs. I’ve got some yard signs coming and lettering for the van, guessing I lost a lot of business this past summer not having them.

It feels great being out on my own, haven’t lost the house yet, so we’re giv’n-it our best
: )

“Sometime you have to look hard to see what’s really important in your life, and when you do see it, Stay Focused!”           

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Will ; )

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »
Oh, for you ladies out there  @->-----, here's a rose.

I would like to add a female partner in the business   :). I think a womans touch would help out in a lot of situations.

Anybody out there in NE Ohio?  :o

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »
Hi folks,

Just found the site. Looks great. Don't paint for a living per se right now, but have been paiting for over 10years as a (part time) pro... ie, mostly side work and comp stuff for friends and family. Learned over a decade ago from a small outfit run out of the nextdoor neighbor's home... Secord Construction. As a friendly gesture, he gave the neighbor kid a summer job to help out with college tuition and stuck him with the paint crew... the "penis painters" as he called us! Anyway, got tired of my job as a research chemist so I started doing an MBA part time, so right now I'm a chemist/student/painter. I still like to earn a few bucks on the side here and there though... got a gig this weekend in southern ontatrio, actually.

Joined this site to help out the do-it-yourselfers but it looks like the board has plenty of experienced guys. Look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas.

MJM

www.freewebs.com/mjmpainting

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 10:13:03 AM »
Hi all- 
  Good to find a site to exchange tips! 
I have been a residental redo paint contractor since '81, went through union appreniceship but jumped ship and went on my own. Had a partner for most of that time untill about 4 years ago due to illness, now am solo.
 I have done almost all interior residential kinds of work- enameling, staining, plaster repair, faux finishing, texturing, paper hanging and removal. i specialize in older plaster homes. Worked with decorators & gen'l contractors.  Have lots of my own clients too.
Like a few here, I am from Minnesota.  Must breed painters here! lol!

Crusing the board here, adding where i can!  See ya!  8)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline kenny

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
Hi all.
Just a note about myself I went to work in a factory 24 years ago as a kid out of high school. Did everything they wanted worked storeroom,shipping,production, about 15 years ago I decided I did not want to drive a pos truck and live in debt the rest of my life so I went to college and got my BBS in Business.  Long story short the management has changed directions from a family type business that took care of its employees to one that exploits them.  Not to be harsh but I was a good worker always going the extra mile well 6 months ago I got laid off and now am looking for another career.
I have painted housed in the past and do not want any kind of desk job for the rest of my life.
I think I am going to turn to painting houses since at the end of the day you can actually see the fruits of you labor instead of an empty in box that will be filled in the morning.
anyway I will be needing lots of help from you kind folks with problems I encounter and hope I can help anyway I can too.
Later
Kenny

Offline RocknRoller

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
Hey to all.
  Names Cary, over the past 30 years I've painted at least 40 houses and apartments for family, friends, and elderly folk unable to do it themselves. Have never been paid ( unless you count pizza and beer ).
  This year we've been remodeling our house, a lot of paint projects, drywall repair, textured ceilings, floor refinishing etc.
  Numerous people have commented positively on my work. I'm a perfectionist which sometimes drives my lovely wife crazy. Was even offerred a job by a contractor when he saw my work.
  Have tried a few business ventures in the past and am now researching the painting field. Planning to make the leap when my house sells.
  Been lurking here for a few weeks and am impressed by the people here. I've learned a lot, hope to learn more, and maybe eventually be able to contribute.
  Thanks for this awesome board.

Cary

Offline MiTm

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Hello Folks:

My name is Mark. I started painting while in college(B.A., M.A., M.L.S.).
I was a reference Librarian for 10 years. I loved it. Researching obscure facts & figures; detail is my bag. I worked in public, private and university libraries. I even volunteered in India for 6 months in an academic library.
I started my business 6 years ago after having spent 2-2 1/2 years working construction(masonry). I love to paint(again, the detail fascinates me). I take great pains to research the compatibility of coatings, their application, and relative longevity. Painting is both a science and an ART. In my off time I scour the web and/or reference materials for articles on painting.
I paint residential only. Mostly exterior staining( 55-60% of work).
I work by the hour. I do not advertise. I usually have a 6-10 job backlog, all word of mouth. I have never lost a job, though I have turned down a few. I won't do jobs where the owner says " don't worry about how it looks just paint it; or just paint a section of the house, we'll do the rest next year(I am not kidding  :o) I try to uphold my standards no matter what I'm painting. It's too easy to fall into bad habits... Painterforum is fantastic.

Addendum:I don't spray(used to though). It's all brush/roller. If I come across something that would be better sprayed I refer the client to someone else. Hobbies: CHAINSAWS, 19th century literature, the gym, and eastern philosophy. Eccentric!! ;)

mark  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:38:16 PM by MiTm »
"Each is the Architect of their own Joy and Sorrow"

Vin

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 07:54:25 PM »
Welcome everyone and thanks for your interesting storys.

Best of luck to everyone in the painting business.

Offline ProPTG

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »
Hi everyone it's nice to know there is a place like this I've been coming here and reading for the last 6 months as a guest and decided to become a part of this forum last night. I'm based out Ontario Canada, been in the business for 12 yrs, done large jobs from repaints, new custom, commercial and industrial, Currently working on a night club, just finished spraying a deck ceiling for Purolator. Can't say I know everything, but have enough knowledge to lend a hand. I love to learn of others and I suppose that is why I joined. I still get my hands wet after 12yrs, Subbed for the first 5yrs, then decided to run my own.

Offline BAForese

• Decorative Painting Apprenticeship Program
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 05:28:53 PM »
Hi!  My name is Bernadette and I'm from southeastern PA.  I'm a decorative painter/faux finisher and I depend on good, experienced, professional painters to prep and base paint the surfaces for me.  This is a great site as it's provided me with excellent information and great points of view. 
Bernie

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »
I work for XIM.  We are a small Primer/Bonder manufacturer that has been in business since 1935. I'm a marketing guy with some technical knowledge of paint and primers (If I don't know something, I work with a couple of top flight coatings chemists who do). My main interest in this forum is to find out what problems painters are having and to offer any technical advice or alternatives to common painting solutions.  We develop unique products to solve some of these problems. If you are looking for a latex primer that you can topcoat with oil/alkyd paint, a tub and sink coating that won't peel or chip, a non-yellowing  paint additive that will extend open time and flow out brush strokes, a extremely high build penetrating latex primer that levels out, we have those products and more.  Our biggest problem is that our best customers don't seem to want to share their tricks and secrets with other painters. Our products have been flying under the radar for years.  We only sell to professional paint stores so you can't find them in the Big Boxes. We are in ICI, SW, some BM, Duron, Dunn-Edwards, Vista, and other professional paint stores.  My next step is to buy an ad which will happen if I can get it into this years budget.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »
Good to have you on board TB!  FYI- I'm giving your latex extender my first try due to Jared's recommendation.

Be talking with ya! 
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Jmac

• Trustworthy!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 04:03:46 PM »
Hi, My name is John. 

I am in the home maintenance business in Indiana, a one person operation. 

My painting experience started scraping curbs for the local service station, then six year of US Navy and some informal training since. 

I enjoy  painting and am looking for ways to improve. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »
Hello Fellow Painters!  ;)

My name is Steve, people call me Stever. I've been a painter for about 12 years, off and on. I'm a one man show that does only (pretty much, only) interior repaints for high end homes. This works great for me because I can charge a good price and not have to bust my ass like i would in production painting of new construction (I hate spraying). My brushwork is excellent and I can take my time to ensure it's all perfect.

I first started painting as a summer job with a college pro outfit. Found out I was pretty good and after that summer I was taking a year off from school and sort of fell into painting interiors working for myself. Did a friend of the families house and word spread form there.

Continued painting as a summer job after I went back to school. After graduating (Bachelor of Science in Forestry) I moved to British Columbia to work in the wilderness and mountains. Quickly found that most jobs were located in small northern towns. I didn't like that so much and got tired of getting laid off in the winter and the career jobs were too bureaucratic. After a couple years of that I moved to a more civilized medium/small city and jumped back into painting for the freedom of working for myself again, and the money is better (when the work is constant).

I still do a little forestry work here and there. During forest fire season I sometimes manage and run fire crews, for a friend who owns a wildfire contracting company, when fires are very active and he needs more people.

I also have been dabbling into the internet for a couple years. Web design, marketing, finding ways to make money. And as part of that I build websites for contractors and trades-people in the evenings, or between painting jobs. But, thats all I'll say about that as I'm not here to spam that across these forums.

Stever