Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 362036 times)

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2007, 07:18:21 AM »
Hello everyone.  I’ve been painting over 20 years in the new home market working on homes of all price ranges and sizes. I’m old school at heart taking advantage of today’s technology. I’m involved with many things to do with the painting industry -- including writing product reviews, publishing videos, writing wikiHow-To's, providing time saving tips on my blog, and other topics regarding the paint industry.  Products I swear by today may be replaced tomorrow with something new and better.

Product testing is a regular day-to-day thing for me. Testing is performed for my own experience so I can have an educated discussion with customers when confronted on various terms, topics, brand names, products, TV shows, videos etc.
I regularly hop around message boards to get a better understanding what current issues others face while working on their paint projects and seek out new solutions to common problems. Ultimately the goal in my line of work is being able to do things in the least amount of time without compromising quality.

This forum has nice consistent activity with many knowledgeable people, I have no idea how it went under the radar for so long. I look forward to many meaningful discussions with the members of this site.

It's good to be here.

Offline ABulick

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
I'm a fourth generation carpenter which means I do and have done just about all trades. My grandfather built houses but primarily liked to paint. My Dad project managed and remodeled but just wanted to finish concrete. Myself I remodel but just want to build custom one-off cabinets.

With experience comes a little wisdom like electricity bites plumbing smells and a lot of colors look alike hence my using and respecting the other trades, especially painters.

Most of my custom cabinetry looks just fine until my painter gets ahold of them then she makes me look like a God.

I've been reading many of your post and learned I still don't know nothing, but like us all I'm ever learning. Thanks for your insights and if I can help with any of your questions I will.

Offline paul222

• www.robuild.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 02:02:02 AM »
Hello there
My first time here so I say a big Hello to everyone.I loved the Topic: Admit it! or What Have You Done with Bad Customers?

Regards

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
Hello! My name is Bill I'm a co-owner in a new painting company in Ohio. I've been painting since 1990. About 80% of our work is new construction.

I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable in the trade but I'm still learning new things all the time. So I'm glad I find this site. It looks like a great place to get and give some tips.  :D

Offline rcpainter

• "Only The Best"
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
My name is Rob,
I've been painting professionally for ten years. Done a pretty wide variety of stuff from drywall to roof repairs, but mostly referral based painting business. We specialize in new construction, but like any money-conscious fellers we'll paint your pet goat if the price is right. ;D I HATE using inferior products! I think the homeowner is the victim when you don't use good products. Shout out to tommyboy; XIM rocks! 8)
We try to offer the customer the best product for their need, without giving on quality or gouging on price. A pretty medium approach I think.
So far I've gotten awesome response on this forum, and great insight. Really great site.
Royal Crest Painting is a fully licensed and insured painting contractor in the state of Florida. With ten years experience, we offer many solutions ranging from drywall finishes and texture, to custom homes, to commercial roof coatings.
Feel free to contact for a written estimate within 24 hours.

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
i've considered myself a pro for 20 years now, doing interiors only, occupied 99% of the time... started off w/ a GC's paint crew back in the boom daze of the 80's and was taught by an old school lead breaker... he passed away recently and was buried w/ a 1 inch Purdy since eternity will allow him to milk a few jobs here and there  :)

as the years have flown by the old school ethic of conscientiousness, "just good enough isnt good", and "leave no evidence that you've been there except for the paint job" have served me well, and been able to be applied to all the new products, tools and techniques.. thank you, Wade, for being my teacher and making me a part of this proud trade...

its fun... i'd do other things full time and this long, but they just dont seem to offer the wide variety of people and places this trade of mine does..

oh...  i live in southern new hampshire.. my son works at the paint store i do biz at, and my part time job, or 'profession', is professional voice talent for broadcast commercials, website presentations, podcasts and business narrations.. its an ego thing, y'see ... 

Be Well

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 04:55:06 PM by UUjohn »
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline ash_work

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:12 AM »
Hi, I am new here but I do have some observations to share about painters and the money they make.
when contractor’s bid low they skew the value of the work within the market unfairly for other decorative painters, which is unfair to the industry as a whole. Remember what they say: “if you get all your bids, you probably are not charging enough". So let's make it a fair game..

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
hello ash_work, and welcome...

that would make for great individual thread here... give it a go...

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline readboutjc

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
I am new to this website and new to painting.  I used to do odd jobs on the side years ago to
supplement my income.  recently, i began again.  not really cut out for the corporate world.
although i work a full time job, i am off half a month because the way the schedule is set up.
so, i figure i will get this little business up and running, and with a little luck, quit my job.

i have a wife and 3 children.  my oldest just graduated from college and my two youngest
will start college in august.  i like painting because it is relaxing as long as i stay focused on
the end product and not the money.

with my odd jobs, i find that most of my calls levitate towards painting.  currently, i have a job
that is the first time i went in behind a contractor.  the customer is a good one, so i want to be
careful with the price.  quality is more important to me than cash.  nonetheless, the contractor
did a shotty job on the wall board.  the joints are not even, and it looks like he only put on one
coat of joint compound.  i put a couple extra coats of joint compound on, but the mesh still bleeds
through in some areas.  any suggestions?

rob

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2007, 05:25:12 AM »
I've been painting since 1970. In 1978 I went to work for the Baton Rouge Fire Dept. and painted part-time while being a fireman (24-32 hours a week) Finally retired....Took a year off and started a new painting business last summer. When not running a business I worked by the hour. Must of my work is at LSU
on sorority houses(20,000-35,000 square feet each) and repaints on old houses. Don't do new construction. Will not play the low bid game. Try to keep a 4-5 man crew hired all the time. Really enjoy the business and working at building my business. New to the forum but find it a great tool to exchange ideas and learn from others.

It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline Brushmate

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
Hi there guys

been reading this forum for a while now, and never posted anything. I am from the UK. and we do not have a forum like this over here, Dulux used to have one but closed it down after a while, don't think they were too happy about people discussing other brands or products other than Dulux. I think its great that you guys can all chat and share info and ideas within our industry. I have been decorating for 20 years now after studying at collage and 4 years on the job training,their is myself and 1 full time employee and we manage to stay busy all year round, it can be very difficult here with the exteriors we seem to get more and more rain each year.

Keep up the good work guys

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2007, 03:18:43 AM »
Hi there guys

Woo Hoo, we have a Brit from across the pond on the Forum! Nice to see you here Brushmate.

Offline Brushmate

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »
Nice to be here stever as i say we have nothing like this over here in the uk

Offline wgcpainting

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »
Howdy everyone! I'm Bill and have a small biz here in Arkansas. Been painting off and on for about 15 years, but took time to go back in the army for awhile. Been back at it for 3 years and full time now for 2 years.

Glad I found this forum, You guy and gal have great advise ( I've been here in the shadows for 3 months or so) hope I can give something back soon.

Stay safe, and remember that we make the world look better one building at a time

Bill

Offline paint57

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45:52 PM »
Hi my name is Rich and I work for my family's paint store in upstate NY. I pretty much learned how to mix paint before I could tie my own shoes! lol.

We operate 3 stores and are dominant in our market. We have over 3000 commercial accounts which account for roughly half of our sales, the rest is DIY.
Our main lines are Ben Morre, Pittsburgh, PPG HPC, Sikkens, Zinnser, UGL, Cabot, Wooster, Purdy, Corona, and 3M. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service.

You guys have a great forum here and I see alot of good information being shared.

I am interested in how our products are being used as well as the products of our competitor's. I will gladly help with any advice and /or product reccomendations as long as I am welcome here.