Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 363611 times)

Offline Drywall diva

Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »
Don't throw me off your board...I'm a drywaller looking to soak up info like  a sponge and be a better drywaller and not make painters nuts. Actually I have been a project manager here since 87 and I think you can teach old drywallers and dogs new tricks

Offline phxmark123

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
Hello,
I joined this forum to help me with some bid advise and to help where I can.

A little about me: My name is Mark. I've painted professionally for 17 years, working for the man most the time. Trained professionally through a 3 year apprenticeship program and then became a Journeyman. Painted just about everything except cars ect. from inside nuclear reactors to multimillion dollar homes to tract houses. I quit the painting trade in 2000 because I thought I was getting a little old to haul those extension ladders around a two story house to paint fascias  in the summertime. Now I am working a manufacturing job in the midwest. I used to rely on the overtime to buy my toys but that has stopped this year so I am going back to doing some painting as means of extra income. Who knows, I might just work this into a business where I just let my men do the work. I could use some help on the bidding and business end. I have read some of the forums and they have been very helpful. I am looking forward to helping out here as much as possible. Thanks and a big "Hello" to all the painters.
Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. Just because its on the internet doesn't mean it's true

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
After having read all of your 'details' I am amazed and find your stories very interesting!  Your posts are a valuable source of experience, when can we all PARTY!! ;D

I am a former high school band director and percussionist!  Growing up in Chicago from a family of painters, both brothers (one now deceased) were painters, my father was a janitor and did apartment renovation, etc. painting is 'in my blood'! 

Having always painted, throughout high school, college and in the summers while teaching, I always enjoyed pleasing people by doing wall repairs and consulting with colors.  I decided to leave the teaching profession because I loved painting more than teaching!  I felt morally obligated to leave the profession because I did not care about the students anymore. 

In my last job I had been teaching in the city of St Louis and it was absolutely challenging!  In 2004 my brother had asked me about working with the large 'production' painting company of which he was a Superintendent back in the 'burbs' of Chicago.  I was looking for a way to make more money being the sole provider for my wife and two children.   When I discovered I could make more income by becoming a union painter I said, "honey, we're moving back to Chicago"!  This was at the height of the housing boom.  Our company probably painted about 3000 homes per year.  There was always work!

Well...then came the housing depression.  The company had massive lay-offs and I am now the proud Sole Proprietor of Wall-Pro Painting Services.  Once I was laid off I contacted everybody I knew and let them know about my situation and I have been able to keep scheduling new work eight weeks ahead. 

I look forward to learning from all of you online!

Rodney,
The Wall-Pro

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »
Welcome aboard Rodney!   BTW- I am a lifelong hobby drummer/percussionist, so have you noticed almost all musicians have also been /are painters? Lol! Flexible day gig...

;D

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, BrushJockey.  Love the name BTW. 

Yea, there are many painter/musicians out there! 

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:56 AM »
Thank you for the welcome, BrushJockey.  Love the name BTW. 

Yea, there are many painter/musicians out there! 

Heh heh, I resemble that remark...Played in road bands from the late 70s through the 80s...Still own the guitars...

Welcome Rodney

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
Looks like we could start a pick up band..
Thank you for the welcome Paintsmith!

Offline JTsPainting

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »
Hi Im looking forward to listening and replying to all the Posts here .I am 45yrs old and have been painting and decorating for aproximatly 27yrs .I know only one true truth about paint and that is everytime i attempt to do something there is someone that has a new idea or new technic that they want to try .I'll tell You even today I'm all about trying something that seems like a good idea at the time .for whatever reason .And Yes I have been bitten in the ars a few times when i listen to certain manufactures that toute self priming paints ouch!My only nemisis at this point .

My name is James Timothy

Offline KenAFP

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2007, 08:58:55 AM »
My name is Ken Anderson.  I'm from Timonium, MD.  I've been visiting and actively participating in these painter boards for the last ten years (or so), and occasionally, I run into a good one.  YOU GOT ONE HERE!

I'm the former owner of Anderson's Famous Painting Co., a residential repaint company, which was started in 1992.  I grew up in Bedford, NY, and learned to paint by earning my painting merit badge in the Boy Scouts and continued to do several community painting projects and put myself through college by painting houses  (things came full circle when I had the opportunity to be part of the committee to rewrite the BSA Painting Merit Badge book a few years ago).  I went onto the the corporate world where I worked for health insurance companies.  I had a partner who walked off with all the money and I fell into disillusionment in that world.  I was encouraged to start a painting business by a very good friend of mine who use to play for the Baltimore Colts.  That was in 1992.

Last year (11/06), I consolidated my business with Sheldon & Sons of Owings Mills, MD.  I consider myself semi-retired since I do estimates for S&S as needed.  I'm involved with the PDCA and am national vice president.  This industry is my passion, and I do what ever I can to promote the professionalism and community recognition of our industry as a solid, well-established, viable and honest means to provide for a family.  I do a fair bit of traveling for PDCA (more than if I wasn't involved!).  I enjoy meeting others in this trade and helping to educate others through seminars and discussions.  I'm also the vice president of the Residential Forum within the PDCA.  Several of the top residential contractors meet, face to face, in a roundtable format, twice a year and discuss issues on how to make our businesses and lives better.  If you're part of the PDCA (can't think of a reason you wouldn't/shouldn't be, if you care about your business and industry), then look to get into the residential forum.  We have close to 400 members at this time.  I've developed a reputation for moderating round table and panel discussions at meetings and conventions.

I wish all of you the best in the success of this board.  I look forward to visiting often.
Ken Anderson
It's a good life!

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2007, 12:40:47 AM »
My name is Adam.  I am 26 years old, living on the south side of Indianapolis.  I got into the painting trade when the Assistant Construction Superintendent job for a local home builder did not work out.  One of my subcontractors when I was employed with the builder offered me a job when I told him the news.  It was slow going at first, I didn't have a whole lot.  It just so happened one of his top guys, Todd, lived near me and kind of showed me the ropes.  That was back in early 2002.  I stayed with the company for slightly over a year, and was in one of 3 crews he had, one for exterior and interior spraying and priming, the other two were caulk/putty/cut/roll/touch-up crews of which I was part of.  Long story our boss opened a catfish house, and paid more attention to it than painting, causing scheduling conflicts and the other two crews were not quality workers anyway.  Myself and Todd were his "top two" guys before the end as we were told by the Area Supervisors.
Soon after my uncle got laid off when they shut down the United Airlines Maintenance Center at the airport.  Within a week he sent me an e-mail with a flyer he had made advertising handy-work.  Within a year we had learned a lot of things we didn't know before and gotten much better.  Soon we got more and more calls for painting.  My uncle hates to paint, so we decided to branch off.  He would bid the paint jobs and pay me an increased hourly rate and keep what was left.  Problem was he was horrible at bidding.  I finally cut him off when he charged a guy 400 bucks for an exterior job with a lot of lap siding that took me a week to do.  He thought it would take me two days!  I eventually took over all parts of painting.  I bid the jobs, I did them entirely myself and we agreed I would give him 10%.  This was around mid-03.
The last two years have gotten much busier.  By 2005 I worked more on my own than I did with my uncle.  Last year and this year I worked with him from January until mid to late Feb while I was slow.  After that, I was on my own aside from some occasional days I helped him.  I have had several repeat customers, lots of tips, and I can only count 1 unsatisfied customer (which my uncle warned me not to work for, lol!), and 1 unsatisfied at first and happy at the end since I first went on my own in 03.
I have expanded my versatility.  I bought a sprayer a couple years ago and have used it on a lot of exterior jobs, ceiling and trim jobs, as well as doors.  I began offering drywall touch ups, then wall repairs, then ceiling and texture repairs.  Now I offer hanging and finishing, on a limited basis though.  I also offer siding replacement, mainly lap or barn siding no vinyl, also on a limited basis.  I just finished re-siding a friend's house with Hardi-Plank lap siding and it turned out terrific.  As soon as the weather gives me a couple of nice days I will get it painted.  I also plan to offer ceramic floor tile sometime soon.
As of now for the most part I have all the tools I need for the job.  What ladders I don't have I borrow from my uncle.  When I need a man-lift I have a family member that is one of the exec's at MacAllister Caterpillar.  I'm set up nicely, but I feel I still have a lot of things to learn.  I still have not advertised, other than my uncle's advertising and word of mouth that is how I operate.  I am glad I found this forum.  I hope to learn a lot that I don't already know, and get advice on the best direction to go.

Offline paintcrafter

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2007, 11:46:31 PM »
Hi, My name is Scott

My great uncle was a painter in 1949, he sold the biz to my Grandfather in 1960 (his Brother)

My Dad bought the biz from his Dad in 1980...

I got the hell out of town before I became a painter and enlisted into art school. To make ends meet I went to work for a paint store. I started a rock band. I needed a job where I could work when I needed to and not show up when I couldn't get up...so I apprenticed with a painter that worked for some reputable designers doing some really weird and crazy stuff with paint and finishes.

He retired and gave me his contacts, truck, tools, ladders.

Fast forward 6 years later...I quit being a painter again and went to work for a friend as a salesperson/ estimator for his 5 mil a year painting company.

That sucked big time but I learned a lot about what I didn't want to do forever and made mad cash doing it.

Whala...here I am again. Solving problems and saving the lives for the persnickety, malcontent and disorganized through the wonderful world of paint.

I'm not so modest...I'm freakin awesome at what I do.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:58:19 PM by paintcrafter »
4th Generation Painter...what an idiot.

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
Hey all,
      my name's Phil and I have been painting now for about 9 years. Started using airless about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since! :) I'm 41 and english. Here in the UK airless painting is very rare apart from major commercial projects. Not may people know anything about it here. I joined the forum to get some tips and learn more about spraying methods etc. At the moment I do alot of masking but I'm producing great finishes and very quickly. The customers love the spray finish and over here it's being "sold" as superior and so airless painters can charge a premium especially in big city areas like London. I live in Cheltenham, GLOS but I still make alot more money than "traditional painters" using airless. (or is it that I dont need to work so many hours now? ;) ) Trouble is, here in the uk we get stung big time for decent painters tapes and masking products and pretty much anything to do with spraying. I think the suppliers are all thinking "well, you make alot of money now so thats the price!" I try and buy alot of my stuff from U.S. outlets now, or even E-Bay.
anyway hello to you all from accross the pond ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:30:53 AM by PowerPainterUK »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »
Hey Phil, welcome aboard !(Or abroad? who knows!)

I think we had another brit hanging around for a bit. I find my exposure to products from the UK come from reading faux books. Some things are really quite different. It's interesting how little spraying is done there. Here there are lots of painters that only use a brush to wipe out the spray bucket!

Hang out and tell us a few stories!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »
Hey Phil, welcome aboard !(Or abroad? who knows!)

I think we had another brit hanging around for a bit. I find my exposure to products from the UK come from reading faux books. Some things are really quite different. It's interesting how little spraying is done there. Here there are lots of painters that only use a brush to wipe out the spray bucket!

Hang out and tell us a few stories!
Sure will mate!  ;D I am an information hoover! (or is it vacuum in the states?;) ) I have a few things to tell and lots n lots to ask. I've already done a search for "airless" and read every thread that came up :o

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »
Hey I am LJ and I should introduce myself,  :)

I started painting about ten years ago as a do-it-yourselfer with a rented airless.  I learned to spray out a house by cleaning drips off my mom's place.  Since then I have been painting on the side here and there, but more especially in the last three years.  Quite accidently I started picking up referals and doing a lot of painting for realitors.  Before long I found that I enjoyed my part-time job of painting far more that my full-time job.  Now, I have become self-employeed as a painter and haven't looked back; I love painting/contracting.  At this time my primary goal is education and that is why I am so glad that I have found this forum.  I look forward to learning from all of you and sharing what I have picked up.  Uh, just one last thought; I read that there are a lot of musicians who become painters... I'm a bassist and the two painters who worked for me this last summer were both pretty good guitarist.  At lunch we would pass around a guitar....

See ya around,  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:05:19 AM by LJ »

anything