Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 363521 times)

Offline readboutjc

Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
hadn't read this thread in awhile, but was surprised to read that there are so many musicians also.
i play guitar, bass, and piano.  i find the most enjoyable part of painting is putting on my cd's and
getting lost in what i'm doing.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 03:08:49 AM »
I'd have to agree with you on that, readboutjc.  Another favorite part for me is when the job is finished and I get to step back and admire my work.  In the past I worked in a profession where I rarely was able to see the fruit of my labor.  Painting is a very nice change.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:44:48 PM by LJ »

Offline Bushman

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
People ask me sometimes if I like painting. Alot of the times I respond, "when it's done". Not that I don't enjoy what I do for a living, but I have to admit, I love it most when it's done and I can stand back for a few wonderful seconds and admire the beauty of a job complete.

BTW, My name is Bush..my last anyway. I live in Virginia Beach, Va. I started painting to put myself through college. Graduated in '91 with a degree in electronics, but kept on painting. I'm a sole proprietor who on semi rare occassions picks up some casual labor(son, brother, some kid who needs guidance and work). It gets pretty hectic at times, but then again, sometimes work is slim. It's the ole feast or famine thing. Seems some times i'm getting ahead, then work slows and I have to live off what I wished I could have saved. Although I do remodels, I don't do new construction. Man, that'll work one man to death. Too much pressure too. I hate production painting. People say i'm a perfectionist...some as if it's a fault. I do mostly repaints and my customers love me and know that I always give them more than they had anticipated. I've also been accused(if that's the right word) of being too nice. I just don't like conflict. Isn't it enough that we have to work for a living. Must we also play a game of grab a$$ and participate in some kind of pissing contest? I do believe that my efforts to be easy to get along with hurts me with some people who take advantage. Some see being a nice person/business man as a weakness to be exploited. However, most appreciate it. Apologies if i'm coming off as some kind of whiner.

BTW again, i'm also a musician..my main gig is guitarist, but I also dabble in keys, bass, mandolin, fiddle...whatever I can get my hands on.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »
Some of us seem to be perpetuating a stereotype in one way or another...Not the drinking thing, though all of us will have those stories, but the musician-gone housepainter. I've known scores of musicians who either supplimented their musical dream with an occasional paint job or resorted to painting once the music thing failed to pan out...

I'm kind of the latter. Though I could easily have continued my career in music as a road bassist, two things occured to make a painter out of me; I met the lady I'd spend the rest of my life with, and the manager of the band I was in at the time was discovered putting the band "up his nose". The lady was in Cheyenne Wyoming, a place I swore I would NEVER live, but after a last gig in Tucson AZ, opening for Lita Ford (yeah, we drop names here  ;D), I flew the next day to Wyoming to start a new experience...

I didn't have any experience or education in anything but music at the time, so, believing the that the easiest trade to learn and the fastest route to a good paycheck, as far too many fools do, was the painting trade, I started badgering a local painting contractor...Every morning at 5:30 am, for a week...They finally (to get rid of me, I think) put me on as a laborer, assigning me the crap jobs with the crap foremen. My first job consisted of hanging from steel trusses in a dairy warehouse, wirebrushing rust on the corrugated steel ceiling...I saw a half dozen other new guys come and go on that job, but I had something to prove, me and my knee-length rock-n-roll hair...So I stuck it out. I got made fun of, insulted, given those crap jobs constantly for maybe two months before they gave up and put me on their journeyman program. The path was laid.

Musicians are drawn to the paint trades, probably for similar reasons that I was, similar reasons that laid-off execs from IBM and Xerox are; They believe that "anybody can paint". I've seen a lot of turnover in the painting labor force, but the musicians among us, IMO, stick with it better than most, and a lot of us make good careers out of it. There are bands out there that are entertainers at night, paint companies by day.

It removes the stigma of the "lazy musician" too... ;) 8)

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »
Eric,

If you came at bass playing with the same determination as you approached painting, it is no wonder why you were good.  ;D

My wife and I have often reflected on the fact that many (or most) good painters seem to have some kind of artistic streak.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
Paint smith what was you bands name? sorry if I missed it somewhere.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
I was actually in a long string of bands, the last of which was called Sircus. We played a national "A" club circuit (minimum 300 seating), and opened for a bunch of well known bands in those days...Hair band, yeah, but we played some intricate stuff too, like Yes, Rush, Zebra, April Wine...

I was a pretty good bass player AND a showman...Not bragging, just stating that I was good at what I did, as I am as a painter. Problem is, when I look back at myself, I wish that the style wasn't quite so...gay...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
Hahaha!   

Except I just cut my butt length hair when i turned 50 a few years ago ( slow learner!  lol) , so we are what we is and hasn't it been a ride! 
 ;D

( gotta get some better smilies around here...)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rex

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
My name Is Dale Rex..............I'm from Allentown, Pennsylvania.  Im 48 years old and have been working in the family painting business since I'm 15.  Full time since 1981. Right now our business consists of me and my father(who is 73).  At one time back in the 1970's when  my grandfather owned the business, we employed up to 8 men and had a longstanding reputation in our community. We do mainly residential re-paints with the occaisional new construction job thrown in. I have branched off in the past 10 years or so, into carpentry and wood repair. As you all know ........... wood tends to rot very easily in todays construction, so this opened up alot of repair carpentry for our business. We are very busy now and hope the trend continues in the future despite the sagging economy.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2008, 09:30:31 AM »
Morning,

My name is Marion Watts.  I'm a painting contractor in SW Virginia.  My wife, Cathy, works with me.  We do both residential & commercial.  We take a great deal of pride in our work and always strive to do our best.  We keep an open and learning mind, each and every job, each and every day.  We are here to learn.

Best,
Marion
Best,<br />Marion

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
Welcome Marion
We hope your wife will join also. We need a little more female input from pro female painters.    :)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2008, 08:04:36 AM »
Thanks Lynjo.  And I'll see what I can do about Cathy joining.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
I hope she will. We need a little more female input. We have several great female members, but they don't post as often as the male members or maybe we are just out numbered.  ::)

Lynjo
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:57:12 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline painter13

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Hi All!!!!!   My name is Bernie  and have been painting for 30 years....started with my dad  when i was young  and  horse hair brushes

and oil paint were the norm........today im a stupidvisor for  one of the largest painting contractors  in Ontario Canada

Glad that i  found this sight  and hope to hear new ideas  or  help  some  with what i know....
Have a good  Day!!!

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
Hey 13 and welcome aboard!
Best,<br />Marion