Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 361366 times)

Offline Jason@API

• Residential Painting Contractor
    • Agape Painting Inc.
Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
Jason here.

Been in business for about 7 years.  Love it!  :D

Thanks to LJ, I was able to find this place.    ;)/;

J

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
Welcome Jason. The more the merrier

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »
NEWBIE CLEANS THE BRUSHES !!!!!  ;)
welcome, Jason

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline Jason@API

• Residential Painting Contractor
    • Agape Painting Inc.
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
NEWBIE CLEANS THE BRUSHES !!!!!  ;)
welcome, Jason

Be Well

What???  The lead guy doesn't clean the brushes?  lol....

I prefer: the last shall be first and the first shall be last, perspective.  ;)   It keeps humility in check against pride.   ;D
If the lead guy jumps in to clean brushes, what does the newb want to do?  He wants to follow in the steps of the lead guy... or at least you would hope so... ;) Anyways... that could be a whole other topic.....

Thanks for the welcomes!   :P

J

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
welcome, Rick

nice biz set up you've got there...
anyway...............
i'll just sit back and watch the self fulfilling prophecy unfold ;)

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »

nice hat hombre

What? This old thing? I only wear it when I don't care how cool I look... ;)

posted a few times on another paint site but didn't dig the lack of moderation when flamed so i thought i would stop by here. 

Welcome Rick, here's to a long, laid-back relationship...We're not snipe-free here, but the great bulk of it is friendly ribbing and jest. We try to not let the trolls in for long, but they do pop in now and then.

We run a respectable joint... 8)  

Offline MacPainter

Re:The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
My name is Chad, from Louisiana.  Started painting with my mother who has her own business when I was 13. Im 24 now so its safe to say i've been painting for 11 years. 

We worked together until about 4 years ago when i decided to branch off on my own. We still team up often on bigger jobs. We do stictly residential re-paint jobs except on a few occasions: Faux finished a nail salon, went behind a new constuction job that the owner tried to do himself.

Being so young in the business, you can imagine how often i get turned down for jobs.  But, I love my job, and am sticking to my guns. 

My business philosophy: I'm well worth my price, trustworthy, honest, meticulous, do one job at a time until the customer is completely satisfied, throw in a little lagniape (that means something extra here in Louisiana), give back if I have over charged.

Advertising: Only by word of mouth, wouldnt have it any other way.

In Conclusion: I've used this site for advice in the past and its nice to be able to come here for opinions and advice.  Looking forward to learning more and giving advice where I can.

Hey I'm Mike, 21, and have been painting with my father since i was about 13. I feel you man, I can't get taken seriously out here in the PA/DE area. I have tried pursuing some of my own work, but very unsuccessful. Age is a real put off to people. Most of what I have done is repaints and largely interior, but don't doubt my exterior stain! I would like to think in anal on perfection, and it can slow me down sometimes. Just yesterday a customer wanted me to cut in to some children's hand prints that were on the wall as a chronological record...it was a pain, but it sure stroked my ego!

I still work with my father for now, but we are getting closer and closer to a partnership.  Theres just many things he cant do anymore at his age. Fine cut-ins, prolonged rolling, and lifting are slowly moving away from his repitour. Have I got stories to tell about customers good, bad, and what SOME of us in the company may or may not have done to them, depending on who is reading this.

Favorite products: Ok, I'll admit im mostly a SW junkie for their paints. I also like MAB (local company) Wall Shield for those cheap customers, glides pretty well and nice coverage. My go-to brush is actually usually a 3" straight instead of angled. They can be pretty interchangeable, but the Purdy ones that are extra-wide over like Wooster hold so much more material. If its alot of corners of course i gotta break out the Wooster 2 1/2" then. For trim I can be even more quirky, I prefer the Pro-Val 1 1/2" for its stiffer bristles. They are what help allow me to get that extra fine detail where it does not matter to anyone but me (anyone else every feel that way?).

Well I'm getting to think that this post is long-winded so I think ill stop now. Nice meeting you all and glad i stumbled on this forum.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »
Guys, I've known some immensely successful young paint contractors...There's a secret to it; It's all in how you present yourselves to the customer. Confidence verging on arrogance, but tempered with a good measure of affability. Use manners, but don't patronize. The first two minutes will usually dictate whether you get the job...And how the customer will treat you...

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
Guys, I've known some immensely successful young paint contractors...There's a secret to it; It's all in how you present yourselves to the customer. Confidence verging on arrogance, but tempered with a good measure of affability. Use manners, but don't patronize. The first two minutes will usually dictate whether you get the job...And how the customer will treat you...

Paintsmith

Great advice and very true.  The immensely successful have (more and more) another thing going for them....they're wizards with a Blackberry.  Nothing like chatting with Mrs Jones during the go-around then thanking her for the opportunity to quote and just as you're walking out the door let her know that the estimate is presently sitting in her email.   

Regards
Rick
www.vancouversbestpainters.com
www.vancouverindustrialpainting.com
www.604painters.com

Offline jmda

• House Painting
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
New to the site.  We have been slow, but that is changing tomorrow (several jobs lined up - thank you God)

So you may not hear from me much until next winter (and hopefully not too much then :) )

Have painted for years (first time professionally 1987), but mostly personally or as a side to banging nails in college.  Started a painting company a year ago with a friend and recently parted ways (friendly though) and partnered up with someone that has run his own painting business 15 years.

We have a website that is getting ready to be changed (I will try to post when it does) - http://housepaintinglouisville.com

Will try to contribute in a positive way :) and look forward to learning from those with more or different experiences.

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:03 AM »
We have been slow, but that is changing tomorrow (several jobs lined up - thank you God)So you may not hear from me much until next winter (and hopefully not too much then :) )

Jmda

Glad to see things picking up. 

Instead of your negative pre-suppositionalism that one doesn't post unless one is not busy why dont you make time to post pics of your undertakings on this site so we know whats going on.  Takes less than 5 minutes a day and you would be teaching us something.

Regards
Rick

Offline Downunder Dave

• Professional Painter, Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
Greetings from New Zealand.

I have been painting for approximately 8 years. Had up to 3 guys working for me in the past, but now on my own and enjoying it. Stumbled upon this forum website and although some of the discussions are specific to US, have found many to be generic to the painting trade.

We do import some of the premium US paints such as Zinsser and XIM products and of course spray gear. The forum has already been a great help regarding these.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:33:46 PM by Downunder Dave »
Painter/Decorator, Auckland, New Zealand.

Offline mjay

• Restorations
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2008, 11:43:20 PM »
Howdie
Mike Jessop here in the USA for 13years total. Originally from Britain, old school painters burning down the house.
Looking forward to sharing information with fellow tradesmen.

Offline Frankie

« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
I just moved to KC, MO (Grandview) from Chicago area... I have been painting for well over 15 years.  Old School style. I love to do Custom work but can do the white wash stuff as well..
look forward to chatting with fellow painters.
anyone in the KC area need some help? please let me know. I am dying here!
I am 37 years old.

Offline Full House Painting Inc.

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2008, 02:48:48 AM »
Hello from Bozeman, Montana!!!!
Very interesting forum..glad I found it!
1 year anniversary as a business this month. What a horrible slow winter but things are picking up.