Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 363473 times)

Offline jomojr

Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
Well, im obviously new to these forums. My name is Joe, and Ive been spending the better part of the last 15 years on the other side of the paint store counter. I currently work for one of the larger paint manufacturers. I have been both in the stores and spent several years out in the field. So let me say this first To the professional painting contractors on this board, you have my utmost respect. If it werent for yall, I wouldnt have groceries in my frig. Most of my close friends are the painters that I work with each and every day.

Ok enough of the mushy stuff. Im looking forward to being on the forums. Heck alot of what I know about paint I learned from Painters. I still go out about once a month and throw on the whites. Sure I get my chops busted cause im so slow, but you have to use the products to know the products.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »
good for you for doing a little field testing! Welcome to the forum, and of course we want to know who's' product you are working with!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
welcome to the forum, jomojr  ....

btw, newbie cleans the brushes !!!!!

;)
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline jomojr

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »
Np I got a spinner and a brush comb.  ;D

Offline yusuf

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
My name is Yusuf Hudson.

I got an NVQ2 10 years ago and i a little contracting work, but at 18 my focus ... lets just say it went up in  smoke for a few years! Same old sad story... ended up in sales. Doing the odd job for family, hanging a difficult drop pattern for free or staining a door in the summer, recently however Irealise that sales was not fun at all,an wasnt for me... or maybe I was just crap at it. Either way im about to havea baby anhave not  kept a sales job for more than 1 year in the last 10... some justy a few months.

I f@%*^ hate sales people anyway.

So  I have spent 500 quid on brushes and all the essential tools and enrole on an advance construction award in decorating. 

I have gleaned alot  of valuable info from this forum and hope to become a contributer soon. It is great to see driven people that arnt riven for the sales of insurance polcies! No seriously I plan to re learn the art and go for the top end clients.  Advertising is rolling. Sounds like there is a lot of painting jobs in the US... over here everyone goes to B&Q an spends 40 qui on a rolling pumpig machine and a 2 quid brush.

Any tips on  the start of the business from marketing perspective will be appreciated.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »
btw my keyboard is not oing so well so excuse the mistakes...

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum Yusef!  We've had a few Limey's cruise though here, it's always fun to get a worldwide perspective on the trade.

I suspect some differences in marketing on each side of the pond, as well as different areas of this country.
 Tell us a bit about your area, what kind of housing stock, what finishes are popular etc.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline yusuf

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2008, 03:45:56 PM »
Hi BJ,

Well for starters you dont  find pro decorating forums over here yet.

We have a massive influx of Polish people over here and the gangmasters have really stuffed up the market, employing cheap and cutting prices.  They seem to be well happy to work for peanuts. No  animosity. Also our housing market is a bit like yours.  Our whole economy sits on it so when it goes bad, it goes really bad. recession over here for last 6 months. new builds have just stopped.  carton of milk costs 2-3 times that of the same stuff last year so the ol boat is creaking a wee bit. I guess this means i have to.. more than ever.. target the high end with lots of disposable cash who ont really feel the economic crisis as  much as they feel their missus moaning  about the wallpaper!

People love magnolia  over here. And dont have a clue about what a well painted wall looks like. DIY mania.

Would you have any loophole fixes for slightly uneven plastering? been to job toay an  thinkink to just pape it and paint over the top..( I can hear the screams..)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2008, 06:37:03 AM »

We have a massive influx of Polish people over here and the gangmasters have really stuffed up the market, employing cheap and cutting prices. 

Interesting that you bring this up. Every once in a while a part of our country will get a glut of good-willed-but-don't-really-know-any-better-organization-sponsored refugees from one part of the world or another, usually just dumped into a community's lap, and the first industry to hurt are professional painters, because of course, anyone can paint...It doesn't last terribly long before the wheat and chaf are separated, but then the fee scale has to readjust...Another reason I do very little work on that level...

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
Hi Ya'll from the South! Central Florida, that is. I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully find a few freindly folks around here interested in painting and painting related stuff.

I'm a native of this state, very much raised in the southern tradition. I am a good painter, a dedicated professional, and a pretty good artist. If you'll allow me I'll post some pix of my work soon.

I worked as a graphic artist for many years, sitting behind a computer forever it seemed. I also worked as a "house" painter when I was younger with my dad and, in the 90's, really more with my brother, who had his own home improvement biz where I learned a lot about the trade.

I am now working on my own as a painter and occasionally as an artist, I do faux finishes and murals, etc. I am making steps into becoming a "real" company, at least that is my goal. Times are tough, but I have been fortunate to land some decent work this year and I intend to keep on going if I can. I am one of those that actually cares about their work, as I'm sure most of the people that come here do as well.

I love this trade, and I hope to get to know you all here! Thanks for the forum.
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline jekcah22

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
Hello! My name is Michael Peters. I was NSW Apprentice of the Year and is past President
and Vice President of the Master Painters Association, and current chair of the
Education and Training Committee.

I am the owner of Courtney & Wise, Sydney's most experienced painters and decorators
specializing in high-quality residential painting.

My company has been operating since 1954. I'm proud to be in this industry for over 50 years now.
We offer interior and exterior painting services and we guarantee positive results!

You can check out our website, www.courtneyandwise.com.au.

Offline thebrushand

• Andrew Crichton Master Painter and Decorator
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2008, 02:48:32 PM »
Hi just found the website. I was in California, just relocated to UK for a while, back to my roots! I am from the old London City and Guilds school of painting and decorating, and in the past 20 years I have been there, seen it, done it and got paint on the t-shirt. Always looking to learn, although I think I will stick to oil paints for as long as they keep making them.

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »
welcome to thebrushand from across the pond, and jekah22 from beyond the black stump !!

Forum newbies clean the brushes, y'know  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:56:22 PM by UUjohn »
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline Tammy

• The Faux Design Studio
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2008, 11:24:27 PM »
Hi Everyone...My name is Tammy.

I've been exposed to the painting business since 1987, when I talked my exhubby into going out on his own after working for his uncle for five years.  I asked him where he wanted to work, and he told me the neighborhoods...and I figured out how to get the names and addresses in those neighborhoods, and I wrote to each and everyone of them.  Low and behold, the work started coming in, and it never stopped.  I always marketed well before I thought I needed to, and I figured out pretty early, that that was the key to staying in business, (besides doing good work, etc., etc.). 

After the ending of my marriage, I realized that I needed to learn how to earn my own living, because YES, there is such a thing as a woman not taking a SINGLE penny from her soon to be ex husband (call me stubborn, call me proud, but don't call me a taker!), so I thought Faux was the way to go for me.  I've always been an artist, and I did do all of the faux work for our company, so I thought that was a no brainer.....boy was I WRONG!!! 

Well, after 10 years of dealing with designers, which are a total pain in the @ss, and dealing with the rich @sswholes....hehehe....this is so fun....lol....that look at me like I'm just a slime bag, and put me through way too much bull stuff....:)  I finally figured out that I'm a painter at heart because I love the fact that everything is pretty much cut and dried (don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying it's easy) and it is so much more straight forward.  I do know that I have soooo much to learn, because painting is way more technical, than doing faux finishes...at least that's the way I see it anyways.  There is so much to know and learn and I really hope that you can help me figure out how to do a top notch job. 

Hopefully, I make sense....afterall, it is Friday night, and I've been sipping a few glasses of wine.....yikes!!!!

Well, besides painting, I love to shoot skeet competively, hunt...birds and big game, ride motorcycles, scuba dive, hang out with my kids...which so happen to be my good buddies, travel and see what the world has to offer, go to the Huskers football games....GO BIG RED!!!!!  and any thing else that just so happens to tickle my fancy.

Hopefully I'll be able to help you someday....I'm really good at the marketing thing.  :P

Love Ya!!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:29:58 PM by Tammy »

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
Hey welcome to the board Tammy!!!

Cheers!!!  :)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

anything