Author Topic: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread  (Read 363361 times)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
Re: The "Hi And A Bit About Myself" Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:20 AM »
Recently I got the idea of doing repaint jobs for property managers. I figured this would be a good way of inducting myself into the world of a contract painting while doing a good job but not having the exptectations of being perfect one would expect in new home construction.

I've been a web designer now since 2001 and it does not provide me with the same satisfaction it used to. The bonus is that I can market myself with a kick-ass website which is something few local painters have done and I can get myself on the first page of Google for my city pretty easily with my knowlege.

I'm glad I found this website - I've got a lot to learn!

You're having what's called a delusion and you're setting yourself up for failure.

Not only are you wrong on every count regarding the aspects of professional painting, you're also entirely off the mark as far as the use of websites go within this industry.

NOT ONCE in my entire carreer did a website have any influence at all in whether or not I impressed a client, or let alone, got a job out of it... Not at all. Not once.

Remember this is 2010, not 1999.

You're quickly going to find out the error of your ways when right from the beginning you completely screw up some bids and screw yourself royal in the process.

Then even if you do manage to BS your way into a paying gig where you're maybe making some ka-ching, I predict that not only will you fall behind in your schedual, I also predict you'll f*#k something up real fast like.... Probably within the first few days.

Then on top of all of that (using wrong methods, wrong products, wrong gear, etc...) You'll probably also make some huge messes that, without knowing how to fix or clean up, will get you in the wrong end of the deep, in no time at all, with all those loverly apartment managers that you're currently having the oh so massive red hot romance in your mind with.

You'll have a fun time trying to play catch-up and smooth things over as word about your reputation and awesome skills travels faster than a speeding bullet all around town. Even Clark Kent isn't that fast.... Are you?

Oh well, at least you'll have that "kick-a$$ website"!

That's just for starters... But hey, I'm only a pro who's been around the block. What do I know?

I mean, anyone can paint... Right?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:05:01 AM by Jake »
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
I mean, anyone can paint... Right? :o ::)

Offline Rick

« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
My name is Rick from Minnesota and 20-10 is my sixteenth year in the painting industry.  I started with multi-housing exteriors (apartment buildings and townhouse complexes) for the first five "years" (summers really, through high school and college).  I've been working primarily residential painting for eleven years now and I much prefer working directly with homeowners.  There are several remodelers that will allow a painter to make a profit so I work with those several.  Self-employed for ten years in April and I will never go back.  I started my business with several painters, went to four-six crews and 12-18 painters for several years and I'm back down to myself and several painters again.  I love being back in the field on a daily basis again.  The new latex products and spraying equipment that have come out in the last ten or fifteen years are definitely my "cup of tea".  Oil base for me is only for decks and special priming situations.   Lots of guys and a gal on here that can handle a brush and roller-I'll learn a thing or two.  Looking forward to spray questions as I've sprayed more than a project or two and I've trained more than a painter or two.     

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »
Hi Rick-  Welcome aboard.   
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline JHill

« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
Hello all;
My name is Jerry, I live in Michigan, and I got sucked into spreading paint in '85, and 25 years later, I probably enjoy it even more. I look forward, to sharing experience, and knowledge, and  hope to learn a thing or two, from all of you also.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
Welcome to the board Jerry!

Offline mistcoat

• Before & After Painting Company
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
Hello Folks,
I am from the UK. Been in the Painting & Decorating for 27 years. Haven't learnt anything at all as I am still only on page 5 of the manual.

I love this trade (still), and I don't think I would want to do anything else, though I have tried when I got bored but always returned soon after.

I frequent and actively post on a few other forums, 2 in the UK and one other that I know PWG  from and chrisn too. I have the utmost respect for both of those decorators mentioned.

Looks a nice calm forum.
Happy Days!!!

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
Welcome aboard. It is MUCH,MUCH calmer waters here than the "other" place. ;D

Offline mistcoat

« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »
Welcome aboard. It is MUCH,MUCH calmer waters here than the "other" place. ;D
Hello Mr N. Thank you for the welcome. It is nothing like the other place is it  :)
Happy Days!!!

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure the knowledge base here could stand up to the "Pepsi Challenge" anyday... anytime!!!  :D

Welcome to the forum mistcoat!

Cheers!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »
Hey Mist-  this is even slower than the Pit stop!  But we can change that!>.. ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline mistcoat

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »
Thank you all for the welcomes thus far. I am here to learn even more. You guys over there across the pond are IMO, are ahead of us Limeys in business sense and quite a large amount of product and tools.

Hey Mist-  this is even slower than the Pit stop!  But we can change that!>.. ;D
It all seems slow in forum land ATM doesn't it? Even my first ever UK forum I frequent is slow. Us Brits don't tend to speak much about work. We try and gee everyone up to talk, but it don't always work, does it. 
We cannot push rope... lol

Hope it picks up on the forums here & there. BTW, I'm not here to ''steal punters'' 

Hope you folks are flat out with work. It is picking up here in the UK so it seems. Most deccies I know are booked out till Sept/Oct. Some friends are booked till January 2011. That is mad!!!
Happy Days!!!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
If the bids I do in the next couple of days come to pass- I'm good into October. Been years since I've seen this much action.
  Downside is it is hard to respond to my regulars that suddenly pop in with a job. That is the hard part about being a lone gunner, me thinks.  Don't want to disappoint the hand that feeds.

Offline mistcoat

« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »
Hear what you're saying Brush. It's hard as a sole trader, I am one also now and I like it TBH.
The trouble is when you cannot do a job due to being booked out, you never get asked again and I hate losing work to others really  :(
Happy Days!!!

Offline paul hopkins

• Western Painting
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
Just joined the forum and thought I'd say hi. I am a third generation painter and have been licensed in Oregon since 1987. There have been a lot of changes in the industry over the years and I am looking forward to reading through the forum and digesting some of the opinions here.
Western Painting
Eugene Oregon
http://www.westernpainting.org

anything