Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 3034 times)

Offline mankaw

newbie question
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »
Hello this is my first post so pardon the elementary questions.

I really started just painting for family on the side. Now a few contractors have picked me for quick small jobs.   I have been asked to spray some new construction decks. He wants to use an oil based stain. Now this fellow is very good to me, he pays me well, but he is very "frugal". He is not picky at all. He builds a lot of quick sale properties and low price commercial projects. My question is am I going to ruin my sprayer (Graco X9) spraying oil based or is there a way to clean it afterwards? I don't mind buying another sprayer to use for oil based specifically but would rather not. Note: He specifically wants me to spray obviously to save on labor.

Thanks in advance...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
A lot of new construction decks around here are done with TWP type of stain. It has the viscosity of water so it can be applied with a pump type garden sprayer.
TWP 100 is oil based but it is a translucent toner and has a more natural look than heavy semi-transparent stains....
If you use an airless, a complete clean up ( pump/gun & line ) before spraying latex can be a beast, if you have a lot of them to do dedicate a spray rig for those jobs.

PS
Before applying any stain to a new treated deck the deck board's surface needs to be "opened" by power washing or sanding.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:53:30 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."