Author Topic: Behr Ultra-Premium flashing problem!!  (Read 45516 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Behr Ultra-Premium flashing problem!!
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »
Jake, Vandi has a legitimate concern as well. Tech support and product reps ARE trying to assure that their materials are understood, applied correctly and consequently appreciated by tradesmen and consumers alike. I didn't see anything untoward in his (I assume his) post. The Behr rep, on the other hand, appeared to refuse to address specifics, but we don't judge by one example, do we? (that was kind of tongue-in-cheek, as many painters don't give products a second chance... ;) )

...So try to lighten up, eh?

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
Right on Eric, and as you can see, after I read Rob's post... I deleted mine!  :)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
The Behr rep. has been on. Saw him a couple of days ago. He just hasn't posted anything lately. Can't say as I blame him the way he was getting bashed.
So be nice.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:05 AM »
Does Behr make a 'primer and paint in one' product for exterior use? I always just assumed this new line was interior only.  Of course, skipping the primer outside is a whole different issue than skipping the primer inside.

Offline VJ1

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
The original topic was addressing an exterior repaint. I should have mentioned though that the use of a masonry sealer is quite important to me because I'm in South Florida. The harsh UV and high temps here put a beating on the exteriors. I dont have any experience in the northern states where chalking may not be as prominant and you may be able to skip that step. As someone mentioned earlier, a masonry sealer is for new stucco with Alkali issues. You are absolutely right, however, it is also a conditioner for chalky surfaces, and chalk will cause adhesion issues.

On another note, for those who did'nt, please see my post in "The Hi" thread so I will not be confused with the Behr Rep.
Vandi.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:19 PM »
Heh heh, I've painted a total of 2 (two) stucco exteriors since moving north...Both repaints, both involving primers, one with Gripper, one with Loxon. One house was over a hundred years old, the other on the national register of historic buildings, built in 1929.

My new stucco experience has all been in the north-east Phoenix area, Paradise Valley, Scottsdale and Fountain Hills.

I have posted here a few times how water-curing is the only true safeguard against a stucco finish burning. If the lime is not leached out and the stucco cured to a near concrete hardness, when the stucco cracks (the ONLY guarantee a stucco guy makes; It will crack) the residual lime (Alkali to the book-learned   ;) ) will slowly leach through those cracks and prematurely discolor the finish...

The only safeguard against the cracking that I know of is around 30 mils of elastomeric...

Oh BTW, welcome to our small-yet-tenacious waterhole... 8)

Offline tntpainting

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
behr is crap thats what the problem is for starters as for the paint flashing probably the thickness isnt consistant because like i said its a really bad product try bm or swp ext paint that should fix it tough break dude

anything