Author Topic: Bad walls, really bad walls, an the point of no returm...  (Read 5964 times)

Offline yusuf

Bad walls, really bad walls, an the point of no returm...
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
Right.

(Yep, look at my screen name... it says newbie)

Got my first estimate to do tomorrow morning. Really excited, gonna get painting live. Immediately sounds like the guy needs his wall re-plastered. chunks have come off with the wallpaper. I aske if the plaster was chalky an got an affirmative.

May be a stupid question... but when is a bad wall a dead wall, an how bad a wall have you bothered to make good.. before going "get it plastered and call me!"

Caution is needed as this guy is a community pillar and some serious managing of the expectations may be emloyed...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:24:32 PM by yusuf »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Bad walls, really bad walls, an the point of no returm...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
What is hard about answering you in England, is that the materials available are totally different.
 If you have stripped paper, and found places that plaster is crumbling, you need to dig those out and make solid again ( here I would soak in Zinnser Peel Stop)  and then use a setting mud ( modern plaster) to fill and skim. reprime .

That's without really seeing what you are talking about.

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline yusuf

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »
thanks mate,

Some of the tools have different names but now ive cross referenced this zinsser stuff, looks like the stuff.. not cheap though eh! £30 for 3 litres... thats about $55 dollars.

So you call Plaster "setting mud"? gotta admit some of these things... like Sparkle... what the heck is sparkle!!! I never fill  holes with glitter it just falls out !!! (could have made a bad gary glitter joke ther but not going to)

anyway thanks for the avice brushjockey.. love your work mate.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
Maybe you have a local product that penetrates chalky surfaces, that's what you want to look for. I suspect the boat ride adds to the Zinsser price, I get it for 18 us.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »
yeah that glitter will get you in trouble...  ;D

I agree with Brush, dig it out, prime and re-mudd, we do have patching plaster around here, but most pros use either drywall taping compound or quick setting compound for plaster repairs.

Best luck with it...

Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:56 PM »
I have been on some major plastering jobs, we used hot mud or easy sand for finish and the deeper areas we used another product that sets up fast and hard just for filler and I don't remember the name, I have used dry wall compound skim coating also if I need a smooth surface.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:29 AM »
After going im more worried about the customer than the walls! This guy is a classic "I want it cheap" guy. Seems the sales experience  is coming in handy in this line of work already... typical nightmare  customer. The markers:

1st marker - Within 5 minutes He was offering to introduce me to  his builder freind  who "may" be able to do some, how do you guys say... "quick pro quo"... obviously this wasnt his kind heart trying to help a brother out...

2nd marker - He starts talking about how he wants it perfect. Dont worry I tell him its all in the CONTRACT. didnt like that word, visibly flinched!!! :D 

3rd marker - While I am THERE, the guy that he threw off the job comes round, obviously according to the time the guy had set, after he had been slagging his work off he then introduces us while i am trying to take measurements and assess the damage.  :-X If that wasnt enough he starts re-negotiating with him for money I wouldn't even get out of bed for. The poor lad was 17 max.

At this point I thanked him, said I would drop his quote off later an legged it. On the way out the kids mum was waiting for him...

Ive been done!
Not bad for a first job eh!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:46:58 AM by yusuf »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:56 PM »
The hard part is knowing the curious from the serious... but you gotta get past em, you run into all kinds in this line of work..  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:59:17 AM »
Hard to shake it off but it passes the ones you don't get or have to walk away from are probably blessings.

You start getting a feel for people and the jobs I have done about 40 actual contracted jobs in the last 2 years and am starting to get a bit more comfortable , your reading people well already that's a plus.

Recently this week actually I have been contacted by 2 realestate people and have done work for both of them both were very pleased one guy I had to jew around with but still made out nicely the other I new I had to keep the price low to get my foot in with him but still will made good money it was an escrow closure job which I would love to get more of lots of auctioning going on here look into those types of people in your area, they also like it when you can do some maintenance and construction type work.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »
cheers for the advice vin, will look in to this.