Author Topic: Looking for startup advice  (Read 17312 times)

Offline abraham

Looking for startup advice
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »
I have painted quite a bit when I was younger (about 10 years of painting 10 years ago).  My main trade is Sheet Metal but I have been laid off quite a bit lately and want to try to get some painting jobs.  I have or can get any tools needed.  Just looking for some advice on where/how to pick up jobs.  I am mainly looking to do house interiors, but wouldnt mind doing exteriors also.  Thanks for any advice.

Vin

Re: Looking for startup advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
Have some cards made up, hit up friends put the word out for starters.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »
Sure... Go paint.

Anyone can do it..........  ::)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »
I have painted quite a bit when I was younger (about 10 years of painting 10 years ago).  My main trade is Sheet Metal but I have been laid off quite a bit lately and want to try to get some painting jobs.  I have or can get any tools needed.  Just looking for some advice on where/how to pick up jobs.  I am mainly looking to do house interiors, but wouldnt mind doing exteriors also.  Thanks for any advice.

A startup can be difficult but having 10 years of experience is a real advantage. Grab a few jobs for friends, neighbors, or even family and do your BEST work. You will not be able to charge top dollar until you establish the quality of your work. Word of mouth is your best friend, keep your work quality high ( you are only as good as your last job ) and over time the work will come to you.

Best Luck
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:10:36 AM »
I've done OK in a pinch by going to some of the bigger paint outfits and asking if they could sub out a job or two...Most of them have some small jobs that they have a hard time getting to, but a lot of times the jobs are relegated for good reason, prep-heavy, grouchy customer, etc.

Offline abraham

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks jake?  Great advice.  Why even waste your/my time?  I think we all know anyone can do it.  Its definitly the easiest trade out there.  Cant realy screw it up.  Seriously though thanks for the replies, except jakes.

Vin

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
I heard some where along the way that a blind guy once painted, his wife would help him and navigate , so YES anyone can paint. Hell even seen a guy with no arms painting once did it with his feet they were portraits but he was pretty good probably better then I could do with my hands  ;D

So I agree with Jake LOLOLOL.

What I am finding is I have a lot of different requests for different types of painting so far I have turned down doing some lettering for a grocery store I have no experience doing that and I turned down an enormous church, I bid it ( for the experience ) and told the guy what it was going to run and he told me to cut it in half that i needed to do some charity work with this one, NOPE not even family gets that LOL( joke)....but most things that I haven't done I will try, metal stairwell, iron gate for instance I had never done this sort of work before but I researched what needed doing and gotr dun and both turned out great AND made money doin it :o.

I saw some guys remodeling a small complex this last  summer and stopped and asked if they needed any painting done I got the exterior on the nine plex and made about $3,000 in less then a week on that baby so grab at any an all opportunitys get out and find them there there waiting on you but i would start a little small dont take on more then you can and ask the guys at your paint store for help if need be best thing is to look up stuff if you dont know or ask here we'll help you with anything you got just about.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:29:16 PM by Vin »

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »
I think we all know anyone can do it. 

Its definitly the easiest trade out there. 

Cant realy screw it up.

With that kind of attitude I can see you're off to a great start.

I'm sure your work speaks for itself.
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Vin

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
Thanks jake?  Great advice.  Why even waste your/my time?  I think we all know anyone can do it.  Its definitly the easiest trade out there.  Cant realy screw it up.  Seriously though thanks for the replies, except jakes.

OH theres a learning curve for sure don't think like that Abraham

Jake ;D He hasn't started yet we each have to find out on our own and in our own way just how NOT so easy this is, it's very hard work at times up and down ladders up an down on old worn out knees hell I have calluses on mine from crawling around taping off, dealing with customers can get stressful and wondering where and when the next job might come. Oh theres a lot to this then meets the eye.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »

Read sarcasm Vin :

It looks like a good place to point out that this board is not only a peer to peer forum but it is also an advice forum. The experience on this board runs from nil to 30+ years in the painting trade and none of us know it all ( or even close ) however, we all gain from the sharing of our collective knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:00:02 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »
NONE of us were born with a $20 brush in our hands and 10-20 years of experience. We all started out differently, took different paths to get where we are. That alone justifies this board, at least the pro painters board. There isn't a one of us who knew which end of a crook to stick the brush at first...Or what a crook is, for that matter...

I could easily rake some of you guys over the coals for not going to trade school to learn the trade or apprentice for a 3-year journeyman certificate. Maybe most of you. But that doesn't make any of you any more or any less a professional for how you got to this point. What makes us professionals is our approach to the trade and how we apply our craft and having the wherewithall to advise and encourage new guys without making them feel unwelcome.

Welcome to the forum, Abraham, and good luck with your new endeavor.

Vin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »
I read it michael  :-\.

My painting career started out in pure desperation for a job I never planned on this being my occupation :o but i really LOVE doing this its an art and if you do good things you can be  proud of the accomplishments and I get much gratitude from my customers which makes it even all the more worth doing.

crook? is that anywhere near the ferrule? ;D

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »

crook? is that anywhere near the ferrule? ;D

Vin

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »
Glad they didnt ask that one on my contractors exam  :P. I've used something similar for a paint brush it was adjustable but never even seen on of those Eric.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:44 AM »
...never even seen on of those Eric.

Oh, the shame of it, Vin...

;)

anything