Author Topic: Looking for some suggestions on primer and paint  (Read 7442 times)

Offline parkfront

• I'm a llama!
Looking for some suggestions on primer and paint
« on: February 14, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »
http://I am building and finishing a bathroom for my girlfriend, and like to use long lasting techniques and maaterials  but have limited painting skills and knowledge. The tub and vanity are in the open area and the shower and W.C. share a space behind a pocket door.   I plan to use oil based paint for the doors and trim and whatever is suggested for the walls and ceilings. I would greatly apprecieate any guidence ( links or responses) to the following questions:

1. Who is making quality oil and water-based paints these days?
2. I have Zinsser's BIN shellac-based primer. Is that appropriate for the doors and trim.
3. I happen to own a Graco 900 HVLP tourbine with a Graco 960 spray gun. Will this help with the primer and/or paint application and results?
4. What primer and paint is best for the shower ceiling?
5. What suggestions are there for the walls and ceilings primer and paint?

Thanks for any help

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Looking for some suggestions on primer and paint
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »
I would greatly apprecieate any guidence ( links or responses) to the following questions:

1. Who is making quality oil and water-based paints these days?

Everybody. You'll find that, at least in the painting trade, the axiom "You get what you pay for" is a truism. All paint companies manufacture top of the line coatings and your bargain basement blow-and-go product...

2. I have Zinsser's BIN shellac-based primer. Is that appropriate for the doors and trim.

Yeah, but you might wanna rethink that BIN unless you plan to spray; BIN is a good sealer and stain blocker, but it is NOT brush or roller friendly...If you're going solvent-based, I'd loudly suggest Coverstain, by the same manufacturer

3. I happen to own a Graco 900 HVLP tourbine with a Graco 960 spray gun. Will this help with the primer and/or paint application and results?

Definitely. You'll have to thin your material to get good flow and coverage, and I wouldn't suggest running latex through it...If you're painting more than just a bathroom it WILL be time consumming!!

4. What primer and paint is best for the shower ceiling?

You really can't go wrong with oil, and though some here have more faith in latex enamels than I do, in a moisture-intensive situation oil is the BEST barrier coating (IMO)...

Good luck

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
and though some here have more faith in latex enamels than I do

And who might that be.... ;D

Zinsser has a mildew "proof" ceiling paint called Permawhite especially formulated for bath ceiling. It is water born and can be tinted to pastels.
I would prime all the drywall with a latex primer/sealer followed by two coats of high end acrylic latex in a eggshell sheen.
I sure wouldn't use the white pigmented shellac on raw trim. Use an alkyd based primer for all the raw wood.

Best of luck with the project
rmichael     pro painter
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 09:59:04 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline parkfront

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
Thank you for your input. I will trade in the BIN for something else and I plan to spray the finish coat on the doors and trim with oil based paint. Would you recomend I do the trim before or after the walls and ceiling?

Thanks again

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:22:37 PM »
My order would be trim, ceilings and then walls.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 05:38:11 PM »
My order would be trim, ceilings and then walls.

Agreed. If one of the doors is a "swinger" (hinged), it'd be nice if you could paint it in the garage or another room, so it's out of the way...The ONLY reason I like pocket doors at all is that when they are out of the way, they are out of the way...