Author Topic: Cutting in ceilings and trim  (Read 8881 times)

Kevin

Cutting in ceilings and trim
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »
I've been painting on the side now for about a year, just residantials, I dont know a lot but I do a good job.
I'm concernd about cutting in the ceilings and trim. So far I have always just used my trim brush and painted as straight of a line as I could, so far everyone has been happy with the results, even compimented me on how well I do. The thing is I dont think I do that good of a job, when I walk into the room I see a wavy line, is this normal? I have never used tape thinking that it may peel off some of the ceiling paint, then I'm back to touching up the ceiling. Plus I always figured I could paint a straighter line than mask one.

Is it realy that hard to mask a straight line on the ceiling and with the pressure used to put the painter tape down, will I pull up paint? Is a slightly wavy line normal?

Thanks guys, any advice will help.

Kevin

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Cutting in ceilings and trim
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:19:54 PM »
Hiya Kevin, welcome to the forum...

Skill cannot be learned, it is developed. Technique can be learned, but acquiring the proficiency to be called "skilled" is generally a time consuming process...Repetition, mostly...

...I almost got fired from my first painting job, while cutting in a caulk joint on a window frame--The frame was square but the caulk joint was all over the place and trying to keep a straight line was impossible...Thinking back, I don't believe any piece of tape would have made it easier. Painters are required by law to be able to correct the sins of ineptutude committed before us...This includes cutting in a swayback or wavy ceiling...The forgiving thing is that most people don't see with the scrutiny that a tradesman does--A serious tradesman, anyway...What I'm saying is that the wall-ceiling joint may not be as straight as you thought...I've "straightened" a lot of those out in the last 18 years, you get a "feel" for them after a while...

Don't worry about the straight lines, they will come. You start out as slow as you need to be to do satisfactory work. Pick a room in your house to practice in and paint it 20 or 30 times, you'll find the cut in gets easier AND faster every time you open that can of paint...As the room becomes incrementally smaller ;D...

As far as tape goes, use it if you must, but remember that masking tape works on the principle of pressure; The harder you press, the better it sticks. And yes, it will remove paint if the paint is relatively new or the substrate is not sound...Blue or green low-tack tape is recommended, though a lot more expensive...

Good luck

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 11:12:06 PM »
After I paint a room, I stand back and think to myself, "Damn, I'm good and those ceiling lines are perfect."  I will use tape, but almost never on a ceiling line.  The trick for me was actually migrating up onto the ceiling with my wall paint.  Essentially, I get up onto the ceiling and make my own line just a hair beyond the ceiling line.  I'm talking like 1/16th of an ich or something so there is no way that it looks like I got paint on the ceiling.  If you try to keep on the wall and try to follow the line of the drywall corner, that is when it is hard to keep that line straight.

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:19:12 AM »
I realy liked what Paintsmith said about the skill level comming in time.   This board is much more encouraging than the other ones.  

One thing I do when cutting a wall next to a heavy texured ceiling is too take my five"n one or putty knife and knock down the texture that hits the first 16th inch of wall.

Also, watch the preasure on your brush as you move accross the cut line.  Finally, make life easy on yourself, use a good quality brush, IMO, Prudy or Corona.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:50:29 AM »
The trick for me was actually migrating up onto the ceiling with my wall paint.  Essentially, I get up onto the ceiling and make my own line just a hair beyond the ceiling line.  I'm talking like 1/16th of an ich or something so there is no way that it looks like I got paint on the ceiling.  If you try to keep on the wall and try to follow the line of the drywall corner, that is when it is hard to keep that line straight.

The mark of good brushmanship...Not developed overnight. That drywall corner is seldom very straight, too. Might explain the abundant use of crown moulding... :o

One thing I do when cutting a wall next to a heavy texured ceiling is too take my five"n one or putty knife and knock down the texture that hits the first 16th inch of wall.

Another good technique that can give you a better line to go by, I've used this one often as well...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:54:15 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:21:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice and encourgment guys! This is a good forum.

rivdog

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »
I like to assess the situation and pick my option. Drywall corners are rarely square. The decision is go high, onto the ceiling,  go low on the wall, both of these techniques require u to make your own line and carry it around the room.    Sometimes the joint is nice and everything flows like butter.  Not often enough though.

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 11:55:37 PM »
So what your telling me is that it is possible to develop the skill to paint a perfect straight line within a 1/16th above or below the ceiling joint all the way around the room, guess I do need some more practice, wow.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 09:51:47 AM »
Kevin, believe it or not, it is possible to develop the ability to cut a straight line in your sleep...Just ask some of the guys and girls...They'll tell ya that they do it all the time! ;)

anything