Author Topic: before and after, with damp and al kinds of issues  (Read 6481 times)

Offline yusuf

before and after, with damp and al kinds of issues
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »
Ok This one was ugly. Thought i would share and see what the seasoned pros think. This is one of my first jobs. the plaster was really bad and there was cracks and crumbly stuff. Then ceiling was damp stained and the walls... yuck. It definately isnt perfect if you look closely

Before:

after:

Before:

After:

Before - nasty:

after:

and...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:25:31 PM by yusuf »

Offline yusuf

Re: before and after, with damp and al kinds of issues
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
well that worked well. only took me an hour....  >:(

Any ideas on how i would have got it better i would appreciate. I used Zinsser bullseye to prime the walls, i was trying to "build" into the porous and crumbly plaster. Then I filled, anboy did i fill,for a whole day. Then a water based acrylic resin primer/undercoat (never used that its lovely to paint on, its like painting on liquid rubber) then 2 coats of mid-sheen latex. I had to use a lot of caulk around the window edge and the sill, which I stripped and primed/glossed.

The 2nd from last photo, that wall.... after the priming, the filling, the undercoat, and first coat of finish, im on the last coat, muttering to myself what a great result this is and bits of wall start to transfer to my roller.... nightmare.

The light switch...the sparky did us the favour of  smearing filler everywhere. I should have chipped  it all out and started again but i didnt i filled through it an sanded  then filled again and sanded... to be honest the pictures do it more justice than the naked eye.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:32:56 PM by yusuf »

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
No doubt 100% better! Your comment on its not perfect.... it looks like one of those jobs where you have to draw the line on how much perfection you put into it. That covered up wire is kind of scary though. Certainly not code but not a painters job to fix it.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
The electrician ha run his wire too short and twisted another wire around  one wire, ripped a bit of a plastic  bag and wrapped it around, then slapped in the filler.  what an idiot!

anything