Author Topic: Learning to Paint  (Read 5316 times)

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
Learning to Paint
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
In eight years of being round the paintng trade I have worked with a variety of 'painters"s, many of whom I learned a lot from.  Some that I won't let paint a dog house.

I have also learned a lot of these message boards.  I would guess some of the information has saved me thousands of dollars.

Almost every painter I've worked with or for seems to think their way of doing things is that only way.  

Is there an authoritve book on the subject of painting that I could use a referance mannual to train painters.  Also to make sure that I am doing everything I can to insure quality results .

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Learning to Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:01:28 AM »
Well, there's chapters 7 & 8 in Paint Contractor's Manual by Matis & Toole, but the rest of the book concerns bidding, estimating and setting up a paint company...And they may show techniques that you aren't comfortable with...

I'm sure there are others, try typing "painting techniques" into a search engine...

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:17:17 AM »
Tally,

In the years of business ventures, including the wholesale supply business that I'm engaged in now, I always practice these modes of operation.

Evaluate. A careful, detailed inspection of the job. A detailed list of defects and needed repairs are noted with the customer acknowledging them.

Educate. What can you do for the customer? Spend time during your presentation to educate them about you, your company, your motivation, your products and especially your professional aspriations to make them a satisfied customer.

Execute the Solution. This is the BIG one. Put it all together in a performance package and carry out what you promised to do, plus more. Before you know it, your customers will be telling the world about your good works.

No charge for this mini-seminar. :)

Michael

P.S Part of success is believing in your own hype, like PaintSmith does. If you don't believe in it, notbody else will.
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
Paint Quality  has some very valueable infomation and lessons you can take online as well as manuals.

anything