Author Topic: Re:Looking for some suggestions on primer and paint  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
Re:Looking for some suggestions on primer and paint
« on: February 17, 2006, 11:10:03 AM »
I need advice, I have a ktchen to paint.

I removed the wall paper, scrubed every inch with a scotch bright pad and washed and rinsed the ceiling about 2 dosen times. Scrubed the trim with TSP and a scotch pad.

The walls, ceiling and trim definatly have a HARD oil paint on them. The ceiling is smooth and I'd guess to say a semi gloss.

I'm thinking on using Zin's oil base coverstain as primer only because I have a gallon. I'd like to use Gliddens Gripper, I used Gripper once before and recall how well it stuck to things, is this ok over the oil base?
I plan on using acrylic latex as top coat.

thanks guys

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »
One important thing to remember is that you must be absolutely sure the TSP is thoroughly rinsed or it will cause paint failure due to lack of adhesion. Alternate and safer cleaners are ammonia/water or Dirtex.

The trim, once it's cleaned can be sanded to dull and coated with two coats of quality acrylic latex (Dulux Professional) or Waterborne paint. I prefer the Waterborne over latex or oil. They adhere and finish like oil without the yellowing, cracking and messy clean-up. My favorite, preferred waterborne (used over oil) is Muralo Ultra Satin flow enamel.

The walls, once cleaned and throughly rinsed can be primed with Gripper or other bonding primers like Bulls Eye 1 2 3. Then topcoat with your favorite quality acrylic latex paint.

I'd save the CS for another project that needs stain sealing and bleed protection and go with the water base primers (always). Environmentally safe, easy to clean up and IMO outperform oils for this application.

happy painting!

Michael

When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
Even though you have dulled it out, I would still apply a coat of  Gripper on the trim. Just to eliminate any bonding issues, and it will give you a nice even canvas for your Art.... ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."