Author Topic: Anyone Hunting This Year?  (Read 13790 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Anyone Hunting This Year?
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:16:16 PM »
I'm just curious. MN's got a major surplus of deer meat these last couple of years, I haven't hunted in more than 20, but I'm going in to Cabela's on Saturday (sorry Faron) for a new hunting rifle...

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: Anyone Hunting This Year?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »
Funny you mention it, but I've been thinking about it recently myself. Haven't been in over 10 years. I live literally 3 minutes from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, and we have more deer running around here than I could hunt in 2 life times. I have a bow, but I'm not good enough at it to trust hunting with it. My weapon of choice is my old Marlin 30-30.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »
My weapon of choice is my old Marlin 30-30.

I'm torn between the 30-30 (my last rifle was a Winchester 94) and a .243. My hunting grounds are thick woods and small open fields, so a 30-30 would be appropriate, but we've started getting coyotes in the back 40 and an accurate varminter with some range might be nice.

My dad's got a 1950 Remington pump 30-06 with a recoil that would spin a six foot tall man around, so with my arthritic shoulder I'd never be able to shoot it...

Vin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »
I couldn't shoot a deer unless I was real hungry those eyes stairing at me get me every time.

Heres a TEASER  ;D

I see them all the time up where I am dredging at, mostly doe an occasional buck along with the wild turkeys, dove, quail :o
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:19:53 AM by Vin »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »
That ain't no whitetail or mulie I've ever seen, Vin. You got a lot of those trophy elkadeerolope in those parts? ;D

I never look at their eyes anyway...Backstrap man, backstrap... 8)

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
I never look at their eyes anyway...Backstrap man, backstrap... 8)

:'( Bambi!!!!

;D
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
Thought I'd post this while I was here, I took this in July at a friends house, the Momma was bringing both the young doe and buck through their property almost every day. Florida deer are really tiny compared to the ones up north. I am not a hunter. I fish and it's sort of the same idea, only wetter.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:06:08 AM by PainterJan »
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline TomTom

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
I've never hunted in my life. Haven't eaten meat in almost 25 years, but I figure if I was not eat meat again it'd be the hunted meat and not the factory-farm raised stuff in the supermarket. But I'm with Vin, I just couldn't shoot 'em myself   :)

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
Funny you mention it, but I've been thinking about it recently myself. Haven't been in over 10 years. I live literally 3 minutes from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, and we have more deer running around here than I could hunt in 2 life times. I have a bow, but I'm not good enough at it to trust hunting with it. My weapon of choice is my old Marlin 30-30.

Just bought a Marlin 30-30 and love it.  Haven't got a chance to go hunting yet.  I also have my Dad's h and h magnum, but each round is $3.00!!!!  So, I'll stick to my new 30-30.  :)

I'm not sneaky enough to be a bow hunter.  Actually, I am not patient enough, though a good number of my friends are.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »
I wound up buying a Savage .243. Can't say I like it til I've fired it, which will be sometime this week.

I had a chance at a nice Marlin stainless 30-30, but the Savage has some features that will facilitate my 10 year old boy's training...

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16:49 AM »
wound up buying a Savage .243.

I had a Remington model 700 in .243 for many years as my primary deer rifle and always had the freezer stocked with venison,great little gun with enough knock down power and little kick,could shoot groundhogs out to 300 yards

Offline Tammy

• The Faux Design Studio
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm one of those bow hunting kind.  I have a Browning youth model.  ;D  I can be a dead eye at times.  I love hanging out in a tree stand, watching all of the wild life beneath me...not even knowing I'm there.  It's pretty crazy. 

I'd use a rifle, but I don't own one.  I did hunt with black powder once...that was too cool.

I do all of my bird hunting with my 20 ga. Browing Citori over and under or my Remington 1100 semi auto 20 ga....and yes...I load all of my own shells (shotgun).

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
2 nice shotguns,I also had the Remington1100, when i was still hunting, man, sometimes i still miss it. :'(

Offline Tammy

• The Faux Design Studio
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »
I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to....I don't have a dog anymore.  I miss it too.  I love being out in the country.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
I love being out in the country.
My favorite part.  I have hunted very little, but have hiked much.  I would like to hunt more.

Paintsmith, in my opinion you bought the right gun for the right reason.  ;D  However, I am drooling over the stainless Marlin just sitting here thinking about it.

anything