Author Topic: BAD NEWS TODAY  (Read 9354 times)

Vin

BAD NEWS TODAY
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
The job I did for my mom painting her patio cover (4 days worth of work), I went back today to finish more new wood that got replaced ( 3rd freaken time ) and what i found was absolute painters horror.

The 2x2 slats that were replaced on top these give the shade turned out to be red wood and I painted them with peel stop I painted the whole thing with peel stop which I should not have done should have only painted the wood that had been previously painted.

We had rain last week and it bled  you know the Rest of the Story, , it bled and dripped tannin ? every where on every thing.

I'm sickened by this but take full responsibility for errors I made. I wondered about the wood the carpenter was using but didn't ask it didn't really look like red wood not a deep red but I should have made sure anyhow,  the beams and post are douglas fir he says and they were fine with the peel stop it would have been ok if not for the red wood slats.

SO  I have already talked with Jared and he confirms what I need to do. Need to lightly sand everything again and apply  oil base primer to all slats and stains on the other wood then repaint.

Vin

Re: BAD NEWS TODAY
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »
One thing I am greatful for is that it happened where it happened at least i am not going to get sued LOL she is willing to buy all materials and feed me lunch :P

Vin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
SILENCE SPEAKS LOUDLY

LOL

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »
We had rain last week and it bled  you know the Rest of the Story, , it bled and dripped tannin ? every where on every thing.

OMG... nightmare is right. And so much of it too! Well, I guess we all make blunders, we are human. If it's any consolation it looks like a really cool patio to hang out in after you get done fixing everything, sit and chat with Mom and have a cold one.
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »
this oughta lern ya..

http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/csk/CSK161/KS6781.jpg

now get up there and do it right... and don't come down till yer done..

naughty painter

;)
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline jaz

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
painters nightmare. I would have been stumped on that too. a job like that id prob get my employee to do. I love how i can pass the buck on things i aint wanna do

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:10:22 AM »
Well silly Boy... ;)...

In MY neck of the woods, only one word applies...
Uffda!!! :D

I'm ASSUMING you're gonna use Cover-Stain?!?! :D

Look me up...if the weather was warmer...
>>> Stop in & I'll give you a HECK of a deal on some C2 Exterior Oil primer :D.

Sorry you're goin' thru this... :(

Faron

PS...I'm "Lovin'" all the "support" & "Love" coming your way from all your "friends" here....Hee-hee... :D ;D :D
With friends like us....!
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

Offline venusxx

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing Vin!

It's nice to know that even the Pros make mistakes, and I will remember this one. I love Peel Stop, but never would have thought to use it on raw wood (an ounce of prevention?). I would have thought that it would seal in the tannins.

Anyway, thanks for the lesson. God bless Mom!! Her Son (the painter) F's up on HER house, and she still makes him lunch!

I know that you worked hard on this project. Sorry that you have to do it again... Fix it and then take Mom out to lunch... Then you can get back to diggin' for gold in your spare time!

Take Good Care,
Vee....

anything