Author Topic: Paint under wallpaper  (Read 5429 times)

Offline yusuf

Paint under wallpaper
« on: November 16, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »
Hi all,

Its your lone Brit subscriber with a really bad wrist. Gonna moan a bit here.

I had a job last week.... working for the old man (dad)

Thick wallpaper, heavily backed, with HEAVY underlining, and a layer of emulsion underneath.  Why one layer of white emulsion i dont know. It must have been emulsion because it was not adhering to the wall and would have bubbled onto the roller if painted.

After getting the Paper off with water, ended up having to steam off the paint from 45 sq metres
of wall, dad would not have stripper in the house cause of the animals!!! ( i hate stripper anyway its useless.)

Lost the will to live after 2 & 1/2 days, filled all the digs from my 2 inch scraper which is now sharpened at the end to the sharpness of a razor ( :o )  and all the holes.

All the way round dads trying to make me cut corners. " just paint over it" Was the catchphrase which nearly got him slice up with my new found scraper sword.

got there in the end, will put up a b4 and after to show the walls.

The annoying thing is my dads wife had got a quote for 10 days work an dad had told me it was 4-5 days worth.. and that included undercoat and gloss on 10 doors! lol!

Note to self.. never work for freinds and family!

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Paint under wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
yusuf

You just made my day. Laughed so hard my husband walked in to see what was going on.

YOU BET, NEVER WORK FOR FAMILY OR FRIENDS.  BTW, lose that sword before you get into trouble.  ;D

I love your baby picture. Beautiful baby.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »

All the way round dads trying to make me cut corners. " just paint over it" Was the catchphrase which nearly got him slice up with my new found scraper sword.

Maybe just brandish it at him in jest and tell him to go away?  ;D

I have done lots of work for friends and family, but I always make sure the guidelines are agreed on in advance. Plus, I'm very fortunate, I have really awesome friends and family.

I want to see the pictures when you get a chance to post 'em.
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:12:14 AM »
of wall, dad would not have stripper in the house cause of the animals!!! ( i hate stripper anyway its useless.)

Get yourself some of this http://www.safeandsimple.com/, it will not harm animals( or anything else) and you might find you actually like it because it works.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »

Get yourself some of this http://www.safeandsimple.com/, it will not harm animals( or anything else) and you might find you actually like it because it works.

The wallpaper wasnt the problem, it was the paint layer underneath... the nitromours stuffstinks, burns your skin, makes you want to hug everyone if inhaled, followed by slight nausea, but i only drink it on the weekends.  :P

No seriously though its rubbisho.

so I found holding the wallpaper steamer over it with enough pressure for long enough bubbled it up and  it scraped off with enough pressure...... Real pain in the arse.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:26:14 PM by yusuf »

Offline yusuf

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
<--- thanks lynjo she 3 weeks there, just want to eat her up! spot the proud daddy!