Author Topic: So it's SUPER slow here in the desert...  (Read 36153 times)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
So it's SUPER slow here in the desert...
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
What's happening where you live??

I've been thinking about moving back to Minneapolis or even Seattle.

A month ago there were tons of ads for painters...

Now (at least back home in Mpls) it looks like roofers??? are in demand??? In winter???... How does THAT work???

My painting partner MattG is going to Seattle. A month ago there were a ton of want ads...

But no more.

I'd like to know the situation where you all are at?

The holidaze always slow down all of us... But this year it's hitting even earlier.

What's the state of mind in the state your mind is in?

Springtime can't get here fast enough...........................
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
Re: So it's SUPER slow here in the desert...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
Also, since we have some craft brothers from across the pond...

What is it like in the UK?

What kind of stuff do you guys deal with?

Sounds crazy, but I've always wondered what it would be like to work overseas?

Cheers all!!!

Jake.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »
hey Jake

I'm from the UK but I live in Portland OR. First thing about UK is it's a lot more expensive to live there than it is here. As for the economy it's beginning to hurt just like it is here. House prices have gone down and the rest. And as for painting just keep in mind that you won't be doing loads of exterior work all summer. There are no wooden house over there mate, they're brick and stone! ;D

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
here in the puckerbrush of southern New Hampshire i've had about 6 jobs since the end of May....  the larger inside crew contractors have let go a lot of folks or are working solo... so, i've been spending a lot of time painting my own place which has made my sweetie quite happy  ...  i painted our ceils and living room !!! took 20 years to get around to it, but its done !!  damn.....

if its okay, i'm gonna network you folks a bit...  my p/t profession is voice over work... if any of you have a website, you may want to  consider enhancing it w/ a voiced welcome.. or, if you feature video of your work, you may want to consider having them narrated...

my most recent gig can be heard here: http://www.cliffsnaturalresources.com/media/brand/Pages/CliffsBrandRollout.aspx    .... its a :30 intro to a flash presentation...

if interested drop me a private message....

please !!! its either that or i'll have to paint our bedroom !!!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:49:43 PM by UUjohn »
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline yusuf

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »
no-one wants to pay for it here in the uk.

DIY Mayhem. My hourly rate is looking really bad.

Vin

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
I am temporarily SWAMPED but it's temporary I am sure of that.

gotta get back to work later .>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :P

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »
gotta get back to work later .>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :P

U Lucky!

Man, my phone hasn't rang once in weeks!

What's your secret!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »
Vin...

did you finish your mom's patio cover thingie array ?

is it pretty ?
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:31:50 AM »
Here in Virginia Beach, things have been slow also. Even though I have dropped my own prices to stay busy, i've been under-bid on several jobs. It seems alot of the contractors who specialized in new work are just looking to keep their guys busy and are bottoming out the pricing on repaints. I've mostly been doing nickle and dime jobs lately. But hey, it's work. With the stock market taking a hit, and fears over what our new President is going to do(not to get political), alot of people are opting out also. I had a couple of decent sized jobs fall through and Obama was mentioned specifically as one reason the job was called off. My wife says to give it a chance...he's not even in office yet. I says, well if the preview is any indication of the full length feature, then we might be in trouble. Hell, I don't want a $1,000 check in the mail at the end of the year, I can make that working in less than a week.(end of rant)

Reckon we could get some of that bailout money?  0'/! :<(/

JK...wouldn't take it if offered. I prefer earning a living to a hand-out.

Vin

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
Vin...

did you finish your mom's patio cover thingie array ?

is it pretty ?

I have to redo the whole thing there was red wood used on the slats on top I didn't know the carpenter used it he didn't tell my mom and I didn't recognize it for redwood, the rest of the material he used was douglas Fir and was fine with the peel stop primer I used on the whole thing, the redwood is now bleeding every where.

It WAS pretty now its very ugly.......

Vin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »

U Lucky!

Man, my phone hasn't rang once in weeks!

What's your secret!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I bid a job 2 days ago interior paint 3 bedroom 1,300 sq ft bid it at $1.00 sq st plus material, called today to be told the owner found a guy to paint it for $600 THAT'S whats going on here.....owner admits he may live to regret it so we shall see.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
Jesus man, I'm fearing for us all right now.

A little over a month ago we knocked out a guys living room, dining room, and kitchen at a rock bottom price... I mean it was LOW.

As we were doing it the guys neighbor stopped in and was interested in having us take a look at his place, which we did. We told him we'd be back in a week after he and his wife had talked about colors and figured out for sure what it was they wanted done.

In the interim, we told the original guy NOT TO TELL THE NEIGHBOOR HOW LITTLE WE HAD CHARGED HIM.

What does the dumbshit do... He tells him.

So when we go to do the bid (this guy has a huge 4000sf house with 22' ceilings. He wants multiple colors, accent walls, his kitchen, dining room, tv room, hallways downstairs, the entryway, and his f*cking living room... Not to mention his stairwell and huge upstairs hallway) all painted for less than 1500 (yep fifteen hundred) bucks with materials included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Edit*... I also forgot to tell you guys he wanted FAUX WORK AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

We figured it would cost at least 600 bucks in materials, not to mention a ton of gas and 5 days for just the straight up painting ALONE to get it done.

During the interim, he blew us off for two weeks then called out of the blue expecting to have in done before Thanksgiving.

I called him last night and told him to take the EVEN CHEAPER THAN $1500 dollar bids he's claimed he's gotten, because that price was a blatant insult to us.

I also told him to expect a s**t job and that he should hide his valuables. ::)

Grim times my friends... Grim times.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:07:35 PM by Jake »

Offline thepainterman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
I'm based in the in the UK,it's kinda slow.

I have work ,no worries there but thats thanks to referrals from previous customers.
ALWAYS contact previous customers regularly, keep yourself in their thoughts.
Letters,design ideas for their home,study marketing ,trust me ,it's worth it.

Look at it this way money is tight ,our banks invested in yours so you get the picture of how bad it is.
Most our banks went bust and got bailed out by us (tax payers) but they are still restricting the mortgage market,best deals are around 85% so thats 15% the buyer has to find in cash to buy a house.

In all honesty it's the banks not being able to lend at previous deals (100% mortgages) thats slowing the housing market so in turn trade related work is greatly affected as people sit until better deals are offered.

I have a m8 who is near finished(thinking of packing it in) due to lack of work (he's a plasterer).

I have no doubt many self employed ,smaller firms will go to the wall,,sadly.
Many bigger firms employ Polish workers as they are cheaper.

The new build market has collapsed here with banks looking 40-50% deposits for mortgages on new builds,crazy.

Good marketing is the key to survival no mistake.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »
Professional paint work will never go away. There is always work there. You learn to find it, to make yourself indispensable...

A professional will know that to survive in this business, acclimation is paramount and adjust his/her business accordingly. I am booked through the winter, thank you. Not a snub, simply a headsup. If you know the business, do what you have to do to make the business work for you...

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17:20 AM »
I know it might sound crazy, but I am thinking about doing some busking(busking is street performing..in my case playing guitar and singing...blowing on the harp). Some might see it as begging. But I don't see it that way. I see it as an entrepreneurial endeavor. What the hell, might be fun...might put a few bucks in my pocket...put a smile on some folks face. I've been playing for most of my life. It's a skill, as well as a pleasure. Why not use it? Maybe play a few Christmas songs, some sing-alongs, throw in a few protest songs...it's a free speech issue, dontchaknow(might keep "the man" off my back). License? What license? I got the Constitution! I made a call to the city today to find out about the regs. The lady I talked to was stumped. So, she patched me through to the big man's voicemail. Haven't heard back yet. I don't know if it will be lucrative, but it might be fun and will be something to look back on...tell the grandkids about it when they are older.

"Yeah, I remember back during the big economic crash of 2008-9...."

I know there are alot of musicians here. Anyone know anything about busking? Anybody else game?