Author Topic: Oil over oil  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
Oil over oil
« on: February 21, 2006, 04:07:38 AM »
Thank's to all that have contributed to this forum I find it a good connection to other painters . I usually paint solo
I am painting in Australia and usually prime with  oil undercoat over existing oil gross surfaces . Is there a chemical  such as penetrol so that one can paint oil gloss over oil gloss.?

Thank's Sheldon

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Oil over oil
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:53:29 AM »
Hiya Sheldon, welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure about Oz, but I would assume that you can acquire a lot of the chemicals we have here, such as WilBond deglosser or Paso "liquid sandpaper"...Nothing works better to assure adhesion of a coat of paint like a good scuff with some 220 sandpaper, tho...

Those chemical agents are available here in our hardware and paint stores...That'd be a long drive for you, I'm afraid... ;)

Good luck

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:16 AM »
Would you worry about using Paso "liquid sandpaper" near an open flame? 8)

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:38:50 AM »
I would also endorse the safe way....the #220 sandpaper.

The #220 also gives you an extended open time to paint. Most deglossers have a limited "open time" before must you coat it.

The #220 is low odor, environmentally safe, builds the forearms, and gives you an eternal dull finish, ready for a topcoat.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."