Author Topic: Besides me, will any painters admit to giving ceilings just two coats of primer?  (Read 57702 times)

Offline offthewall

I've done a few ceilings with just primer and a few with no primer and just ceiling paint.  We do have a ton of acoustical ceilings here and primer alone works just fine if the customer isnt picky and just wants white.  I mean it is the ceiling, there isn't anything walking on it or banging into it.  It actually surprises me that it was 6 to1 because most I know (who have been painting most of their lives) including myself do one or the other quite a bit.  I really don't see anything wrong with it either way...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
IMO primer is primer and finish paint is finish paint. We often prime ceilings before painting simply to eliminate possible lap marks and dry flashing in the finish paint, but I have never left a primer as a finish.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:48:06 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

I'm in a large custom house right now (well, not right now) where the homeowner is crying about cost. I told him we could save on the WAY overpriced ceiling paint by spraying 3 coats of Superspec...His ceilings are 12' to 22'...

Funny, a $2 million dollare brand new house and the guy is crying about paint... ::)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Funny, a $2 million dollare brand new house and the guy is crying about paint...

Yea, I don't get that either. ???

the PAINTSMITH

Well Chris, the guy's a land-pimp and these people are notoriously stereotypical horse traders. He insisted to be the one to supply material and is paying almost 3 times what I would have charged him...He actually thought he was getting a deal...Now he's conniving short cuts, making the trades pay for his inability to know stuff...

Offline ProOnePaint

I have switched to SW CHB white for all my ceilings and priming over patches/repairs.  Have not run into one problem yet.  Did a house last year that was all new drywall, (fire job), sprayed the CHB and backrolled it for the primer coat.  Came out great, as did the finish coats.

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
I'm in a large custom house right now (well, not right now) where the homeowner is crying about cost. I told him we could save on the WAY overpriced ceiling paint by spraying 3 coats of Superspec...His ceilings are 12' to 22'...

Funny, a $2 million dollare brand new house and the guy is crying about paint... ::)

Isn't that all too often the way. More house than they would ever need, upgrades all around, but when it comes to painting the joint all of a sudden they start getting all budgety and think the painter should find a way to save them money. I had one not too long ago that wanted an 10x14 accent wall, then came home with a quart of deep rust colored paint. I sent her right back to the store to get a gallon. So much for saving money with a extra quart of paint purchased.

This thread has been hanging around for a while, as if to taunt me. Okay, I did it once, 2 coats of primer on a bathroom ceiling. But the homeowner was a friend and he was supposed to topcoat at some point. I'm very cautious when doing ceilings, because being able to look across them, they can tend to show any inconsistencies in the finish. Popcorn ceilings can be danger. What a pain/hearbreaker when you roll across one and a sheet lifts off. Sometimes you can move from one area to another and gradually the weight of the paint can cause an area to droop, or crack. I've learned throughout the years to make the customer aware of this possibility before I even get started on the ceiling.

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
It depends on how heavily stained the ceiling (not new construction of course), I like to use Kilz or Zinsner first and then top coat. Otherwise, I've had a good result with the SW ceiling primer and then topcoat with a flat bright white. People are afraid of color on ceilings.

Oh and BTW I did a ceiling this fall that I used the Kilz in a can to spot prime because it had some really rough areas, has anyone used it? It's called Upshot I think.
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
yeah, I've used upshot to spot prime water stains on ceilings, works great, but watch out for the buzz...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

Funny, a $2 million dollare brand new house and the guy is crying about paint

I just went through a whole fiasco with a customer he wanted me to try and paint off white over grey/blue called and told him it wasn't going to work told me to go ahead and TRY so I did and told him the results were poor and we needed to prime, it would add another 1,500 bucks to the project.  He then told me to send him a bill for work I got done and we were done till after the first of the year and of course also told me to return any unused material which told me we were DONE DONE. 400 feet of carports for $4,500 these guys live in Carmel, by the sea, very wealthy!!!  :P :P :P

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
All I ever put on ceilings is tinted primer. No other option in my opinion. I tint the primer to match Pro Forms Blue Topping mud because I think it is the most KA white on a ceiling there is.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
All I ever put on ceilings is tinted primer.

As most of us have already stated, the customer is paying for painted ceilings not primed. A primer is not a fininsh paint. If you can live with yourself by ripping off your customers,good for you. :o

Offline jackpauhl

Chris, why do you always have to be a pain. I guarantee my primed ceilings would outlast any flat paint and not only that but helps resist discoloration even in a house of smokers. I figured this one out unintentionally.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
helps resist discoloration even in a house of smokers. ???

Offline jackpauhl

See. You learn things here chris. I know things.

anything