Author Topic: Jake's Tips-N-Tricks Thread  (Read 99807 times)

Offline Crestwood

Re: Jake's Tips-N-Tricks Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
Store your artist's brushes for fine touch-up work in a toothbrush holder. Keeps them all together and well-protected, too. Snip the handles shorter if they're too long, and mark the bristle end of the case with permanent marker so you don't store it upside down and damage the bristles.

Vin

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
I just buy them as I need them crestwood so thats a great idea using the toothbrush holder thanks.

I call them sags too Jake but only when they look like droops LOL or puddles or waves ;D runs are thinner OH yeah semantics heh heh

Vin

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
In this cold weather and using canned texture I warm the can of texture in sink full of warm water for 5-10 minutes, this loosen and warms the texture in the can and it works much better for texturing applications.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
Figured I'd post this here too so it wouldn't get lost in the other thread.
To fill a 5'er from a shallow sink, we use the cardboard core from a roll of commercial vinyl.

Offline Crestwood

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
I use this moving company neoprene (think wetsuit) floor runner to protect floors. Only 1/8" thick but doesn't shift under foot traffic, sweeps clean - just great if you're going to be working in the same area for a while. Nylon fabric on top cleans easily and is durable. "New Haven’s floor runner is safe to use. Will not slip or slide on most surfaces. Even clings to steps. Less tangle under dolly wheels or when walked upon. Protects valuable carpet, tiled or polished floors. Unrolls and re-rolls easily. Wipes clean with damp cloth."

newhaven-usa.com item #NH786-15 ($38)
Roll out the red carpet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:13:38 PM by Crestwood »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »
In this cold weather and using canned texture I warm the can of texture in sink full of warm water for 5-10 minutes, this loosen and warms the texture in the can and it works much better for texturing applications.

Ha ! Just gotta say, tonight is going to be -21!  That can of texture MIGHT warm up in hot water in an hour!
 :o
Us deep cold weather guys have to haul freezables out even if its just going to be a couple of hours. I have a tall square litter bucket that I keep plastic bottles of about 5-6 different primers in ,and it moves in and out a lot.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »
Back to tricks--
 My Trick for removing wallpaper:

Soak the wall good ( nuther hint- i have a cheap floor sponge mop I cut the handle down to 3'- gets it wet with way less work than a hand held sponge- more control than a bug sprayer. ) , then cut sections of thin poly about 4' wide and press to wall. It wants to stick to wet hands, so use a 6" blade to help press to wet wall. overlap your 4' wide sections .It will hold the moisture in without evaporating and get a deep soak. Pull off 1 section and work it. Timing is everything.
  I never use a paper tiger. You want to be able to get as big of pieces as you can, and besides ruining the wall they cut the paper into tiny bits.
  Once again- timing is everything.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:45:59 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
Here's a sweet new trick I just learned today from a 20 year vet and I think it's pretty cool...

"Smooth edge cut bucket from a gallon can."

If you've ever cut from a gallon can, you know that paint gets in the lip, it's messy because of the lip, the lip sucks (no pun intended).... etc.

If you're right handed, take the pointed end of your 5 in 1... place the palm of your left hand in the part of the 5 you scrape naps with, punch it into the lip of a can like you're using an old time can opener, and simply (just like those old can openers) sort of see/saw it around the lip.

Be careful when you get to the end as you can easily cut yourself when the lip comes off of the edge.

Take the blade of your 5 and smooth any jagged edges down.

Viola... Smooth and easy cut bucket in about 30 seconds.

Tried it today and it worked great!  8)

The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »
Tip for getting the uber primers off your hands at the end of the day. Slather up a bunch of handlotion and let it soften the paint for 10-15 min before trying to clean off. And use a scrubbie pad .
 Works for me!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:20 PM »
Take a scoop of "Go Jo" or "Goop" mechanic's hand cleaner and rub into your hands ( until dry) before you start painting... any paint on your hands will come off easily the next time you wash them... like at lunch time..  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
I was just using some oil base primer and didn't have any thinner but did have a can of WD-40 and it took every bit of the paint off my hands, I then washed with soapy water and my hands are spotless, not sure anyone posted this yet.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
Vinny!!!

What up brutha!

Man, this is my first post in awhile. I just moved back to Minneapolis from Vegas about 3 weeks ago. Super different than the desert!

Anyway....

Been grinding the paint off of a 100 year old house for the last two weeks... We'll be oil priming the old wood at the beginning of next week, then a shot o latex for the Budda's belly.

I already did the priming on the garage (after grrrrrinding the heck out of it)...

Still have oil on my nails........

Thanks for the tip RM and BJ!!!!  ;)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline decoman

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Here's a sweet new trick I just learned today from a 20 year vet and I think it's pretty cool...

"Smooth edge cut bucket from a gallon can."

If you've ever cut from a gallon can, you know that paint gets in the lip, it's messy because of the lip, the lip sucks (no pun intended).... etc.

If you're right handed, take the pointed end of your 5 in 1... place the palm of your left hand in the part of the 5 you scrape naps with, punch it into the lip of a can like you're using an old time can opener, and simply (just like those old can openers) sort of see/saw it around the lip.

Be careful when you get to the end as you can easily cut yourself when the lip comes off of the edge.

Take the blade of your 5 and smooth any jagged edges down.

Viola... Smooth and easy cut bucket in about 30 seconds.

Tried it today and it worked great!  8)

we have been using the old can opener for a while all tho my guys don't like the smooth edge cut.. oh well.. ::)
MAK -
Decoman

Vin

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
Take a scoop of "Go Jo" or "Goop" mechanic's hand cleaner and rub into your hands ( until dry) before you start painting... any paint on your hands will come off easily the next time you wash them... like at lunch time..  ;)

like at lunch time..

I never stop and eat I shove food in my mouth and keep on RUNNIN  ;D ;D ;D

Right on Jake good to see you back I kinda figured you moved to bad man I never could get it together and get to the desert for a visita, stay warm HEH HEH.

Offline Spencer

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
Hey Jake.  Spencer in New Zealand here with a request from you or anyone who knows.  I have a "Blonding" job for an interior.  Some call it "Whitewash".  Whatever you call it, I have to coat a full interior of a timber home, leaving a slight white over timber look allowing the grain to come through but STOPPING the tannins leaking out of the timber.  I have had mixed success in the past, using a white oil stain, then a water-based satin urethane for final coating.  Some tannins still come through, leaving a slight yellow effect (not desirable) around knots.  The timber is Pine (Macrocarpa).  All thoughts, Opinions, Ideas are welcome.  Cheers.  Spencer.