Author Topic: anybody here ever sprayed epoxy resin?  (Read 8628 times)

Offline offthewall

anybody here ever sprayed epoxy resin?
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »
Probably not asking the right group of guys and gals but I was wondering if any of you here have ever sprayed epoxy resin (not paint) with a HVLP or any other type of gun?  Just wondering if set up and clean up are worth the trouble or if I should just stick with a lint free nap?  Like I said I should probably be asking this in a boat forum but figured why not...

Vin

Re: anybody here ever sprayed epoxy resin?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
I have sprayed epoxy paint mastic  :o  it was for my dredge pontoons and it sprayed really nice, clean up that rig good. what do the specs on the product say ? whats the stuff going to be used on ?

Offline offthewall

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
Good question on the specs of the product, I'm not real sure.  But I do know that its going to need to be thinned down a bit so the gun will actually shoot it. (its 2 part epoxy, super clear too)  My brother and I are still painting for a living but we just bought a skimboard company thats been around for 25 years.  Some of the methods they have for glassing the wood boards are pretty crude and we figure we can probably get better results and faster by spraying.  But I didnt want to go spending $150 on a gun if it was going to muck it up after one use.  But I guess with enough Acetone it should clean up ok.  We're using our airless to put primer and solid colors on the boards which is 20 times faster than rolling them like they were doing. So we figured spraying the epoxy would give us the same results...

Vin

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
My epoxy mastic paint didn't hold up real well on my plastic pontoons though it did do better then I thought it would wonder if the resin would be better. So you shoot on the resin then wrap with fiber glass ? I thought about trying that with my pontoons they have spider cracks that leak water and there dangerously thin walled in some spots from exposure.

I should have primed my pontoons first I think the stuff would have held on a lot better, there back down the the plastic now and I have to pull the dredge pretty soon and bring it back home from the river then I am going to respray but this time with a primer on to the plastic then about 5 coats of the paint.

I would just do some more research on that OTW and see what guys are shooting that stuff with .

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
I'm not a sprayer by any means, so take what I say for what its worth. I would be scared that it would kill the gun if not cleaned out super good when finished. Maybe buy an old rig to test drive it. If you say this will be for a business, it would pay for itself if it works. If it kills the old gun, then you know to explore other avenues. Good luck!

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
A friend of mine found a brand new Graco 10,000 at a pawnshop (no, not a typo, a 10,000!), that was ruined--Or so the shop owner thought. My buddy paid around $300 for it, took it to a machine shop and mechanically cleaned the epoxy out of it. The only thing that he had to replace was the gun...

The 10,000 is a double dip, 7 (I think) outlet pump...Needless to say, his production went WAY up...

No, I would never chance putting epoxy through a spray rig of any kind...

Offline offthewall

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »
Yeah, no way will I ever run epoxy through my airless, to many parts for that stuff to cling onto and ruin it.  Unlike a gravity fed gun which only has a cannister and about 2 or 3 inches from the container to the tip, thats what I was hoping to use.  Should be fairly easy to clean especially if it can be submerged in a tub of acetone.  I'm a bit concerned with thinning before spraying it because I've heard that thinners tend to cloud the clarity if not used in the right amounts.  The epoxy being used is amazingly clear and we cant afford to sacrifice that for finishing reasons.