Author Topic: What would be a good HVLP for spraying water based paints?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline offthewall

What would be a good HVLP for spraying water based paints?
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
I've been wanting to get one of these bad boys for some time now but just havent done it yet.  I pulled up a search on the forum and found a couple of posts about them but not much pertaining to which ones are good and which to stay away from.  I have a macking compressor so I'm planning on running of of that.  Is the siphon feed better or gravity fed the way to go? It appears that the gravity fed ones have smaller containers and would have to be filled more frequently....but then again I have never used one so I dont know how far a full cannister will go.  And do you typically have to thin paint down for it to work right?  I will be using it on a daily basis so it's going to rack up some hours pretty quickly.  Thanks for any help on the subject.....-Matt

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: What would be a good HVLP for spraying water based paints?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:30:29 PM »
Ive had the Capspray 4 stage for quite a while, and it has served me well. Don't use it often though. They have 6 stage now, that would be quite heavy duty.

Linky-  http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/wshvlp.shtml?photo=3

If you're just looking for a gun the Maxum II is a good one.  I don't think a regular compressor works that good with HVLP.  The whole concept of Hi volume low pressure was started with Hoover vacuum cleaners having an attached paint sprayer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:35:53 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »
I agree with the compressor and gun not being equal to a 4 stage set up.
Sean

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
Can you get the spray to be incredibly smooth?  I try and I try but I can't seem to get the spray to lay super smooth.  Don't get me wrong, it looks nice but I have always expected it to be smoother.  I guess water and oil spray differently.  Plus when I do doors or large areas where it will take more than one pass to cover you can see where I made my passes?  When I spray with an airless I never get this?  I thought the whole thing behind an HVLP was to get awesome results on anything?  I have a SW 4 stage HVLP(I forget what brand it is)

thanks

mike
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »
I have always had to tweek waterborns to spray. And which paint makes a difference too.
 My fav combo for spraying or by hand is Muralo waterborns with a touch of xim extender and H2o.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
Some guns offer two air inlet locations: one on the bottom of the handle for non-bleeder set up and the second (bleeder setup) directly behind the air control valve to improve atomization with heavier materials.

Acrylics should be shot bleeder-style for the best of the materials.

Dont forget to insert the plug into the bottom of the handle.

I use the HVLP CapSpray 4 stage, no luck with super nice finishes using acrylics even with #4 projector set.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:20:23 PM by jackpauhl »

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
I've tried it both ways.  Bleeder and Non-bleeder.  I thought that if I thinned it out too much with H2O and extender it would change the sheen of the paint? 
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
It will reduce sheen levels no doubt. Airless still to me seems like the best option for fine finishes with acrylics. Those FF tips are amazing. A friend painter of mine used an air-assisted HVLP and tells me he liked it. I didnt get the chance to see it in operation though.

My HVLP rarely gets used anymore unless im doing clears or oils on metal etc., still nice to have around.

anything