Author Topic: Got tired of dropping loaded brushes, so...  (Read 35013 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Got tired of dropping loaded brushes, so...
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
I went in to see a hand surgeon yesterday. I'm getting both of my carpal ligaments severed. I've dealt with this for the last 25 years and have tried EVERYTHING from acupuncture to voodoo. The acupuncture actually worked for a while, but not a long-term solution.

I'll let you know how it turns out, as soon as I can hunt-&-peck again... ;)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
Re: Got tired of dropping loaded brushes, so...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »
Holy smokes Eric!

I hope you'll be ok and have a super speedy recovery!

I'll keep ya in my prayers brutha!
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Wow, Eric! That does sound radical, but if you've tried everything. What kind of movement do you expect to have after? I would think those ligs do something..
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Well, one example I know of is Willie Nelson. Have any of you seen him play guitar lately? He had his done about 5-6 years ago, and if anything I'd say his playing faster than it used to be...

Not that I'm doing this for my guitar playing, of course...

I don't go in until the 26th, then the other hand two weeks later...I actually can't wait...

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
I had both of my hands done about 9 years ago (two weeks apart), it's very simple procedure (as surgeries go), they give you "happy juice" as well as an "ax block" (completely numbs the axilary nerve, you will have no feeling in that arm for a few hours). I'm sure some surgeons may do it differently, but this is how mine did it. He even videotaped it!

I have been amazed at the result, I had really advanced carpal tunnel from working on the computer for so long, I have not had any trouble whatsoever and nine years later I'm still great! Both of my wrists have a teeny scar but you really would never notice it unless it was your own wrist. Oh, and your mother would probably notice it too, but that's what moms are all about. 0:>)

Good luck to you. You'll be so happy once you're not dropping brushes anymore!
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
Thanks Jan. I've heard nothing but good about this proceedure, and you're right, there are differing operations. One is endoscopic, where they go in with a camera. One other, the one I'm having, goes a step beyond simply cutting the ligament. They'll be removing some of it, 'cause sometimes they grow back... ;)

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
Thanks Jan. I've heard nothing but good about this proceedure, and you're right, there are differing operations. One is endoscopic, where they go in with a camera. One other, the one I'm having, goes a step beyond simply cutting the ligament. They'll be removing some of it, 'cause sometimes they grow back... ;)

Mine was the endoscopic one, I watched it on the monitor while he was doing it. Good luck!
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »
Mine was the endoscopic one, I watched it on the monitor while he was doing it. Good luck!

I would pass out as soon as they clicked the monitor on!  Looking at the inside of my body would be waaaay too much!

Vin

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
I HEAR THAT LJ ICK!!

Good luck Eric first i've heard of such a surgery I'll hope for the best results for you .

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
Eric GOOD LUCK with your surgery. Have a speedy recovery.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline TomTom

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:04:24 AM »
Yeah, surgery isn't something you try out first and seek alternatives later. But gotta hand it to you (arf! arf!) lasting 25 years is a hell of a long time. I used to work with a friend who would often drop loaded brushes from 20-30 feet up the side of a house. I was fortunate to not get hit by one. He was a boxer for years and has been a painter for years so all that gripping has obviously taken it's toll on his hands. Personally I would like some corrective eye-surgery. It'd be nice to cut a straight line again without squinting or having to wear glasses. Old age I guess, and I've heard it doesn't get any better from now on  ;D

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
Heh, thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to this...Yeah TomTom, my hands tend to swell also, Doc's not sure that this surgery will correct that (which means he dunna know), but my goal is for the tactile sensation to work again.

And I have a laundry list too, my eyesight not the least of it.

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
when is your surgery, Eric ??

will you be in need of anything while you're laid up?

there may be a few cases of Ramen noodles in the Painters Mutual Aid Warehouse if you need them....

hope it works out as hoped for!!

Stay Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »
when is your surgery, Eric ??

First one is Monday, second two weeks later.

will you be in need of anything while you're laid up?

Got any cute nurses? A candy striper will work... :)

there may be a few cases of Ramen noodles in the Painters Mutual Aid Warehouse if you need them....

Mmmmmmmmmm....the breakfast of champions...

hope it works out as hoped for!!

Stay Well

I'm betting my profession on it! Thanks.

Jared

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
PS -

Best of luck with this.  I will be thinking of you on Monday.