Author Topic: Painting smooth wall with no texture  (Read 37456 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Painting smooth wall with no texture
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »
...I have read on many a finish paint can that it is self priming also! :o ::) ;D

"Primer's in the paint, ma'am!" ;D

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
...I have read on many a finish paint can that it is self priming also! :o ::) ;D

"Primer's in the paint, ma'am!" ;D
SW Duration is one of those paints that is allegedly self-priming, as long as you apply two coats to new construction.  Here's my question: let's say its true, who would want to prime a house at the tune of 40-50/gallon?  Sounds like a good way to sell a lot Duration to me.  ;D 

I don't think the drywall guys used the Sheetrock product as a skim and prime, just a very heavy prime.  I would like it for the same purpose.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »
I think the self-priming claim is based more on the paint's high build, not it's adhesion or sealing properties. IMO primer and finish paint are two different things that do not share a bucket..  ;)

I do wish that the paint industry would get it together when it comes to sheen levels, there is NO standard to designate a specific sheen to what it is called (ie. satin, eggshell, or even matte). IMO each category should have the same sheen level regardless of brand..
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:31:28 AM »
Lj, What do you mean not smooth? Do you feel roller texture from the primer coat or are you talking imperfections? Like poor mud job?

All I do is smooth walls. Luckily I work behind picky drywall guys. Some of them shoot the primer coat. Was the primer coat rolled?

If those guys primed it poorly, and you do eggshell, you will see every bit of the crappiness of the undercoat through your finish. No doubt.

Nice size house... sounds like lots of pole sanding. Have you seen the pole sander mod I posted? That will come in handy on this job. Its here on this forum but might be quicker to google jackpauhl+polesander

I'd argue that Duration Home cannot be done in one primer and one finish on new board. Hell, 2 coats is questionable and touchups would likely fail on sheen matching.

On Builders Solution: designed to spray 20 mil but can roll it but expect it to rain paint while you roll. Might want to stand back 6' at least.

Offline LJ

• LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 01:18:51 AM »
I think the self-priming claim is based more on the paint's high build, not it's adhesion or sealing properties. IMO primer and finish paint are two different things that do not share a bucket..  ;)

I do wish that the paint industry would get it together when it comes to sheen levels, there is NO standard to designate a specific sheen to what it is called (ie. satin, eggshell, or even matte). IMO each category should have the same sheen level regardless of brand..

I certainly agree about the difference between primer and paint.  On some houses I've used four different primers for different purposes.  I suspect that's common among the painters here.  It's kind of cool explaining to the customers the different properties of each primer... at least I think it's cool, they probably think it is all rather boring.

Offline LJ

• LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 01:26:28 AM »
Lj, What do you mean not smooth? Do you feel roller texture from the primer coat or are you talking imperfections? Like poor mud job?

All I do is smooth walls. Luckily I work behind picky drywall guys. Some of them shoot the primer coat. Was the primer coat rolled?

If those guys primed it poorly, and you do eggshell, you will see every bit of the crappiness of the undercoat through your finish. No doubt.

Nice size house... sounds like lots of pole sanding. Have you seen the pole sander mod I posted? That will come in handy on this job. Its here on this forum but might be quicker to google jackpauhl+polesander

I'd argue that Duration Home cannot be done in one primer and one finish on new board. Hell, 2 coats is questionable and touchups would likely fail on sheen matching.

On Builders Solution: designed to spray 20 mil but can roll it but expect it to rain paint while you roll. Might want to stand back 6' at least.

Good questions jackpauhl, thanks,

The drywall guys sprayed on the sheetrock primer and did not backroll.  I do not know what caused the inconsistent texture, but I could see and feel it.  Maybe dust setting in the primer as it dried....

I'll check out your sander.  Yeah, that is a lot of wall and ceiling!

At this point I plan to sand, dust, mask, spray and backroll 1 topcoat before cabinet install and then cut and roll one topcoat after install.  Is this what you would recommend?

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:52 AM »
Lj, What usually happens when these prime coats get sprayed is (attitude). The attitude behind primer is that its "just primer" get it on there and go.

Anyone doing fine finish work would agree the primer coat is everything to the quality of the finish for many reasons.

You may be seening the result of a spray job that went bad. These guys may have had tip issues or some 5's thinned more than others. You can possible be seeing spot primed areas or areas gone over twice.

I think (without seeing it) I might sand good and roll it with a Purdy Colossus or a Wooster Polar Bear using that last pass down method to make it as consistent as possible on that first coat of finish.

The heavier (not really) texture you get from those covers might help blend or fix some of that inconsistency. The finish of those covers might benefit you on this job. Maybe do final with a superfab.

I would do a bath or wall behind a door to test it out before doing a whole house.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Could the roughness just be raised paper grain from over sanding?
 That does knock down with a sand pretty easily.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »
Could the roughness just be raised paper grain from over sanding?

Overzealous drywallers (or their untrained laborers) do this a lot. This last house we were in was no different; The tape joints were smooth, the paper all cat-tongue after we applied a prime coat. We knew this would happen, drywaller said if it did he'd sand the cat tongue personally.

He spent two days on primed walls with the idiot stick.