Author Topic: DIY Bedliner for your truck or van  (Read 6148 times)

Jared

DIY Bedliner for your truck or van
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
Over the Christmas holiday I found myself in a local auto parts store, and while there, I stumbled on one hell of a deal - for $70 I got a 1 gal DIY bed liner kit by Herculiner, and I got a $50 mail-in rebate on it - making the total cost $20.  Considering these kits usually run $100+, I just couldn't pass it up.

I recently bought a '92 E-350 diesel van, and the only thing wrong with it was some rust on the cargo area floor.  This gave me the perfect opportunity to give the stuff a good test run.  I will say that the prep was time-consuming, but I can also say that the coating itself has exceeded my expectations so far.

I like the idea of painters doing this job themselves because we of all people truly understand just how important the prep phase is.

All in all, I put about 8 hours into the job, with a total cost of under $30 for all materials used (thanks to the mail-in rebate).  Line-X and RhinoLiner wanted over $600 each to do the same job. 

Best of all, I know for certain that I'll never have a rust problem on the floor ever again.  Could be the best $30 I've ever spent.

Just thought I'd share, as most of you pros are surely using trucks and/or vans - and since this product can be applied by spray OR brush & roller, you all should have the necessary knowledge, tools, and skills to tackle this job and potentially save a whole lot of money.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
Re: DIY Bedliner for your truck or van
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
Hey Jared! Nice to see you back! :)

Weren't you gonna do that "fryer oil" deal with one of your vehicles where it would run on that stuff? Did ya ever do it? If so how did it work?

I remember you posting something about it and I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, nice to see you posting again!

Cheers brutha!
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Jared

Re: DIY Bedliner for your truck or van
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »
Actually, the van I recently purchased and bedlined is the diesel that I will be converting.

When I wrote that post about the Waste Vegetable Oil conversion, I was unaware of how rare Econoline diesels in the '92 to '98 range were...  and as I am limited to these vans, I had a long and frustrating search.  But that is behind me now, and I am in the process of getting the new van set up for my daily use now.  Once that is complete, it goes into the paint shop for a week or two, and then I can first start buying the conversion kit for the veggie oil.  So I am probably 4 to 6 months away from actually running on the oil.  I'll be sure to post a followup to the original WVO conversion thread once I am running on the oil.