Author Topic: painting textured ceilings  (Read 5277 times)

Charlene

painting textured ceilings
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »
Yesterday I painted a textured ceiling for a client using (at their insistance) their old unopened ceiling paint they had left over in their basement. I had never heard of this brand and was leary but.... Anyway, they also do not want a bright white color so had the paint store tint it a bit. Just as I thought, they are not happy and want it redone.
I have 2 questions, could it have been the paint's fault because it was so old? Tomorrow I am going to buy ceiling paint I have used before and have been happy with and I am going to get the fella's to tint it even more so the color will be more yellowish (what the client thinks they want). Will I need to put on 2 coats because of the change of color? Also, this ceiling is in an L shape with lots of track lighting and I'm worried about more lap marks. IS there a secret to painting odd shaped large ceilings? P.S.   I hate ceilings and try and avoid them if possible!!!  Thanks.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:painting textured ceilings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »
Hi Charlene,

Latex paint has a pretty long shelf life, although it will crystallize after going through too many freeze/thaw cycles. It is probably simply the color that they do not like. Instead of adding tint randomly to the new paint, pick up a color deck/fan at the paint store and have your client PICK the color for the ceiling.( gets You off the hook ).. ;)

I always recommend applying a primer/sealer before top-coating  ceilings. The "hold out" that the primer provides allows the finish coat to "dry in" evenly and at a slower rate ...which pretty much eliminates lap marks in the finish.

Best of Luck
rmichael    pro painter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:04:56 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

charlene

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:25:34 AM »
Thanks Michael, I've been thinking about this all night and I agree with you. This morning I am going to client's house and getting their wall color and then asking the paint store for a half tint. (if client's agree). That should settle the color problem.
I don't know how badly the ceiling looks with lap marks, but now that the ceiling has that coat of paint on it, it should be sealed to an extent that this next coat will not dry so quickly that I left with a wet edge. You think? Now I will have to keep my fingers crossed that one more coat will cover. Grrrr!

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 09:33:15 AM »
It sounds like Charlene already has the ceiling primed... :o

I don't know anyone who really likes painting ceilings. I've done a lot of 'em, haven't enjoyed one yet...Be sure to charge a premium for jobs that aren't fun...20% is a good start.

One thought; Avoid lapping on the first coat, as they will always show through consecutive coats. Lap marks are inconsistancies in milliage and extremely difficult to eliminate once they're established.

Good luck Charlene
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:34:00 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Charlene

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:19 AM »
Thanks alot you guys. I find ceilings so intimidating, give me walls, trim, crown moldings, anything but ceilings. Still kind of concerned about painting around all the track lighting and the drying factor. In the larger part of the L, that has no obstructions, does a person paint the whole length of the ceiling instead of say, a 6 foot square? I've been painting the whole length but maybe that's not correct? Also, this room has major windows and tons of light. Maybe I should go in the opposite direction, perpendicular to the windows? Oh hell.
  (I.m not a beginner at painting, have worked for a company for the past 8 years and only now going it on my own. Previously, the guys on the crew always did ceilings).
  Thanks again for any help.   Char

ken the painter

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 01:26:23 AM »
ceilings can be a breeeeeze......use the cheeper paste paints. Like the ones they use in tract homes....speedwall breezewall etc...........ceilings deserve cheap flat paint, the high end acrylics  (behr) lead to headaches because as a washable paint they have resins-which flash.......

anything