Author Topic: How many of you ALWAYS box your paint on a big job?  (Read 40563 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Re: How many of you ALWAYS box your paint on a big job?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
Though I still mix the paint (gal.s into 5s, 5s into each other), color is not so major a reason as it used to be. Yeah, a couple degrees off-tint and it can drive you nuts, but my D-E rep took me to lunch a number of years ago when I still flirted with production, and he gave me the ultimate reason to box paint:

Though the technology has advanced in leaps and bounds to match paint tint virtually molecule for molecule, you can't keep a good fear down. Yes, there are lousy dealers and some lousy tint machines out there continuing to make a bad name for the trade, and the labels themselves often tell you that "only God is perfect", perpetuating the idea that color matching ain't all that close of a science, which in isolated incidences may be true...But the reason manufacturers jump up and down insisting that you box your paint is for consistant sheen...

It seems that, from batch to batch, there is not a coatings manufacturer on the planet who can match enamel content and the amount of sheen between any two of those batches. This includes stock colors...

Folks will not notice a slight difference in color, if it is actually slight. They may regard it as a shadow or the light playing with their own eyes. But there is no lower limit on sheen; If there is a difference and a light source, it WILL be noticed.

So, if you don't box your paint, you might want to make sure the batch numbers match...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:06:47 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
I box the second coat...don't worry about the first coat.

Ditto. Lighter colors not so much.

Hmmm... Why not box enough paint for both coats? ???  I don't see any time saved by boxing the second and not the first.. JMHO

In my case I do not purchase second coat paint on big jobs or new homes when I do the first coat. Too much time passes between 1st and final coat. People change their mind etc.

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:22:57 PM »
I box the second coat...don't worry about the first coat.

Ditto. Lighter colors not so much.

Hmmm... Why not box enough paint for both coats? ???  I don't see any time saved by boxing the second and not the first.. JMHO

no particular reason...just don't...never thought about it much...maybe I'll give it a try...will definitely save from asking "is this paint boxed??" all the time...we will start Monday.

Vin

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »
I WILL FROM NOW ON .

2 weeks ago had a job to touch up a room , ended up turning into a full paint went to the big box had them make up 2 more gallons , applied the paint, once dried I had 3 different tints on the walls, went back bought 3 more watched him make it I WATCHED THE TINTER SPIT AND DRIP EXTRA PAINT IN . I  BOXED them all together that time around  repainted the whole room, funny thing  i have always boxed my 5 gallon buckets on the bigger jobs but didn't think to do it on the singles.

I agree BIG TIME with rmichael I get a lot of paint these days with junk in them  brand new fresh buckets used to be a problem only in the summer now its all year round I notice.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:08 PM »
I am in the boxing of the second coat group. Often i purchase all the wall paint at once so when i get to the second coat it has sat for a day or two or three depending on the job. So i box it.
Sean

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
I box my paint pretty much all the time.  In the early days I had a few jobs that had to be redone thanks to colors being off just enough that it could be seen.  Since then the count has been: 0.
I always strain too.  I've also noticed that it seems necessary to strain everything these days, especially 5's.

And how is canadianpainter still inbusiness?  Never boxes paint, never uses anything but primer on ceilings...I mean wtf.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »
And how is canadianpainter still inbusiness?  Never boxes paint, never uses anything but primer on ceilings...I mean wtf.

I chuckled when I read this.  For some reason your comment reminded me of one guy I had working for me who was the most unproductive retard painter I've ever seen. 

Not boxing paint and only using primer on ceilings aren't things my customers care about.  I stay in business by paying attention to the things my customers do care about.  Not only do I "stay in business", but I'm the largest and most successful painting contractor in my area. 

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
Not boxing paint and only using primer on ceilings aren't things my customers care about.  I stay in business by paying attention to the things my customers do care about.  Not only do I "stay in business", but I'm the largest and most successful painting contractor in my area.

What things do your customers care about?????!!!!! ???
In what area of Canada are you?  I am in Canada as well and my clients care about quality. Boxing paint and using proper paint on the ceiling produce quality results.

Offline waynec

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
We only box the finish coat. As far as ceiling primer, we don't use it. Just a flat white ceiling paint over plaster.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
I chuckled when I read this.  For some reason your comment reminded me of one guy I had working for me who was the most unproductive retard painter I've ever seen. 

I think the whole board chuckles when they read your posts.  So are you calling me a retard and an unproductive painter because I do things that 99.9% of the world's painters consider correct?  How do you know your customers don't care?  Seems to me if I told my customers at the end of a job "Hey, I just used primer on your ceilings, and I didn't box your paint so if you see any areas where the color doesn't match 100% don't worry about it" they would probably be a bit upset.  You stay in business likely because you're one of those contractors that always has new customers, never repeats or referrals because your work is junk.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »

What things do your customers care about?????!!!!! ???
In what area of Canada are you?  I am in Canada as well and my clients care about quality. Boxing paint and using proper paint on the ceiling produce quality results.

They care about getting a good paint job at a good price and on time.  I think the most unsuccessful painters are the ones that charge the same for every job and produce the same quality of workmanship for every job.  You can't treat every job as if you're painting the Mona Lisa.  Some people just want colour on the walls, others want a perfect finish.  Every customer has different needs and that's what I pay attention to.

Furthermore, not boxing paint is only a problem if there's a mistint.  If you're assuming that I would walk away from a job when colours don't match you're mistaken.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »
I don't think I've read anything more ridiculous in my life.  I don't charge the same for every job, but I give the same high quality job to each customer regardless of what they pay or what I think of them, of even if they just want it cheap shotted I'm still going to make it look good.  I want everyone that sees work I did to think that it looks great and hope they'll call me for some jobs of their own.  If a customer just wants some color on the walls, I'm still going to make it look presentable.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

I think the whole board chuckles when they read your posts.  So are you calling me a retard and an unproductive painter because I do things that 99.9% of the world's painters consider correct? 

Well, I know of a fact that 99.9% of the world's painters aren't as successful in the business as I am.  

You stay in business likely because you're one of those contractors that always has new customers, never repeats or referrals because your work is junk.

By no means are we a fly by night operation.  The company was built over the years by establishing and maintaining relationships with the people we do work for.  Also, our work always meets the needs of our customers.  I think we've only had one semi-unhappy customer who we refuse to work for, but even to this day that company still faxes us asking us to tender on their jobs.   You're way off with your assumptions.  

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »
I don't think I've read anything more ridiculous in my life.  I don't charge the same for every job, but I give the same high quality job to each customer regardless of what they pay or what I think of them, of even if they just want it cheap shotted I'm still going to make it look good.  I want everyone that sees work I did to think that it looks great and hope they'll call me for some jobs of their own.  If a customer just wants some color on the walls, I'm still going to make it look presentable.

What you're saying is hypocritical.  You say you "give the same high quality job to each customer regardless of what they pay" in one breath and then say "if a customer just wants some color on the walls, I'm still going to make it look presentable'.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:20:54 PM by canadianpainter »

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Furthermore, not boxing paint is only a problem if there's a mistint.

incorrect!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:12:16 PM by HeatherP »

anything