Author Topic: YouTube Video - Slideshow showing many Metallic Foil Finishes  (Read 13170 times)

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
YouTube Video - Slideshow showing many Metallic Foil Finishes
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3NPvqSnJQ&feature=channel_page

Note:  I made this for my website and there is a plug at the end of the site about the foil.  Do not pay attention to this as I am not trying to sell you foil, just showing you some of my different foil and paint (faux) finishes.
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Vin

Re: YouTube Video - Slideshow showing many Metallic Foil Finishes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »
THanks Rob excellent stuff man I am just trying to find a project around the house to work on.

A few questions, is black always used as the back ground ? what is the sizing for is that a primer also ?

Stain and seal or aqua size  ? is that to add more color ?

Thanks again

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:10:41 AM »
Vin,

Happy to answer any questions that you might have.  I have 2 videos listed here

http://www.youtube.com/user/FoilEffects

that will help you understand 2 different sizes and a sample getting done with a glazing and without.  I also show how to gild a picture frame in another video.  I am making a bunch of how to videos so if you Subscribe to my YouTube videos you will get notified by YouTube when the new videos are posted.

As far as base color, I use a multitude of colors but my favs are black, espresso, dark brown, rust, leather red, red and gold.  As for sizes you can use oil based satin, semi, gloss or high gloss paint (higher the sheen longer the tack) or I suggest wunda size.  Staining needs to be done if you use wunda size but if you use a paint then it will dry 100% in about 6 hours.  Watch the videos and let me know if you still have questions.
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:23:57 AM »
As always great video, i would say it is one of your best so far.
Sean

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Well I am glad they are getting better.  I bought software call Sony Vegas Studio Platnum edition and it allows you to do tons of stuff.  I am still getting use to it but have figured out now how to add all kinds of stuff to the videos to give them a much more interesting look.  I have found YouTube and the videos a great way to gain interest into business and after watching tons of terrible videos (mine included) I emailed some people that had great ones and they all said Sony Vegas movie maker so I bought it.  It has a huge learning curve but there is so much that you can do with them that it makes it fun to make, edit add stuff to.  Hopefully the new videos I am shooting today will come out good so that I can edit them tomorrow and get them on.

Thanks for responding as feedback is alway important!
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
Awesome stuff! I love how that looks and turns out! So cool!

Some questions for ya if you don't mind...

1. Where can I find more info about using foils? I went to your website and an "about" section would be really nice!  :D

2. I'm planning on moving back to MPLS in a month or two where the land of flat, smooth, plaster walls awaits... But in the interim here in Vegas, just about EVERY wall everywhere (unless it's a multi-million dollar custom home) has anything from mild orange peel, to uber-super thick knock-down on it. So the question is... Do these foil techniques work on walls... And do they work on textured walls?

3. What do you charge for say a small table or let's say a 10 x 10 room or even better... A 10 x10 accent wall on average?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to learning!  :D
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Vin

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »
Thanks Rob I have a project so will be ordering some material soon, it's a raw wooden display ledge, small and easy starter project.

As for video I use Pinnacle studio 9 version its limited but limitless ( if you have the time ) if you really put the time into that learning curve you mentioned, your pic vids look great.

One place I found that doesn't compress videos as severely as youtube ( which causes distortion ) is crackle.com BUT not everyone it seems is able to bring up the video, you have to have high speed internet.\another thing about crackle is you have to leave the uploading window open, you cannot do anything n your computer when uploading to the site of the upload will fail.

I think I may try a stain with gold foil edges on this project just to complicate it a bit  ;D I have seen crown molding and other types of decorative moldings done this way and really would like to see if I can duplicate that myself.

SO I am not to sure about how this technique would go in steps ? do I do the foil effect first by taping off areas I want foiled then apply stain or vice versa ? Should I just order sizing or use the rustoleum , either ither ?

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
Hey Rob... Tying in with my post above...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVMzAwnpPDU&feature=related

I guess by powder room she means the bathroom? Anyway, can this technique be used on textured walls?

Ima digging your video's and would seriously like to try some of this stuff!

Thanks.

Jared

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
Jake -

In my experience, the term "powder room" refers to a half bath (with no tub/shower), and usually the term is used to describe a very small bathroom (but not always).

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks Jared!

Hey, you might know... Can this foil stuff be used on textured walls?

Thanks!

Jared

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
You're going to have to wait to hear back from the OP on that, as I have never done any foil work before.

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »
Awesome stuff! I love how that looks and turns out! So cool!

Some questions for ya if you don't mind...

1. Where can I find more info about using foils? I went to your website and an "about" section would be really nice!  :D

My website is in the process of being updated and all that is available right now is a store.  If you want to see how to use metallic foil check out my YouTube Channel at this link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FoilEffects

2. I'm planning on moving back to MPLS in a month or two where the land of flat, smooth, plaster walls awaits... But in the interim here in Vegas, just about EVERY wall everywhere (unless it's a multi-million dollar custom home) has anything from mild orange peel, to uber-super thick knock-down on it. So the question is... Do these foil techniques work on walls... And do they work on textured walls?

Yes of course these foils work on walls, ceilings, cabinets, furniture, raised wall paper, moldings and much more.  In fact I have used them on countertops with many coats over it.  I have done textured wall with this as well.

3. What do you charge for say a small table or let's say a 10 x 10 room or even better... A 10 x10 accent wall on average?

Which one do you want?  Furniture is much much different then say a wall.  Why?  Beause of the prep needed.  However if I could land 2 pieces of furniture a day for 1 year using foil, I could retire at the end of the year!!!  LOL

Table top done in foil (lets say 4'L x 2.5'D) = 10 sf and I would charge $150 and it would take less then 1 hour.
10 x 10 accent wall is 100 sf and I would charge depending on the number of colors $500-750.  If you took that same 100 sf and put that into a ceiling it would be $1000.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to learning!  :D
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:17:01 PM »
Hey Rob... Tying in with my post above...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVMzAwnpPDU&feature=related

I guess by powder room she means the bathroom? Anyway, can this technique be used on textured walls?

POWDER ROOM IS A 1/2 BATH NORMALLY WITH ONLY A SINK AND A TOILET, HOWEVER IN MANY CASES THEY HAVE AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN SIT AND PUT MAKEUP ON (DONT MEAN YOU - JUST IN GENERAL).  Powder room dates back to Victorian times, infact a powder room back then was in many cases a showcase part of the home.

Ima digging your video's and would seriously like to try some of this stuff!

Thanks.
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

I think I may try a stain with gold foil edges on this project just to complicate it a bit  ;D I have seen crown molding and other types of decorative moldings done this way and really would like to see if I can duplicate that myself.

No problem doing edges - Check out my site for 1" pinstriping foil (lightning fast)!

SO I am not to sure about how this technique would go in steps ? do I do the foil effect first by taping off areas I want foiled then apply stain or vice versa ? Should I just order sizing or use the rustoleum , either ither ?

For something like this stain your project, seal your project, tape off the area, brush on a coat of rust-oleum oil based paint allow to tack, then just pull some gold pinstriping around the piece and push into place with your thumb using a rag so that the foil presses into the curvature of the molding.  I pinstripe tons of stuff and hated cutting the foil so I came up with the pinstriping stuff to make it goes super fast!  Time is MONEY, you know?!?!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:27:11 PM by FoilEffects »
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Vin

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
Thanks Rob ordered a few things to get started with see how it rolls  ;D

anything