Author Topic: YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12831 times)

Vin

Re: YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
MAN unreal the guys on the way and he knows he's not getting paid to fix his scroo up, I will buy him lunch ;)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
We usually require a 30% down at startup with a progress draw schedule for big jobs. IMO Painting Contractors that carry a job financially are exposed to unnecessary risk, not only with material costs but labor and overhead costs as well. Most clients are aware of this and have no problem with a down payment and a payment schedule.
I do think that 50% down is pushing the line and over 50% is a definite no-no.....  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
We normally do 3rd up front, (deposit) 3rd about halfway then the final at the end. If its a small job (couple days) I do take 50% down. However....this is usually regulated by states. Some states its against the law to take more than a third down. Some states only allow 10% to start. Some (one I know of) says if its over $1000 then by law there must be a signed contract......
  Saying all that, I have never run into the down payment police.! I would not do a job though without a deposit. I also dont buy customer materials with "my" money.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
I buy my paint on account and have 30 days, so it's really not my money yet. I usually don't ask for a down unless its a big job, most of mine are under 2 weeks.  Might do 50 % half way .
 Sometimes I have had to wait, but in ~30 years have only been burned a couple of times, and that was by contractors, not homeowners.
 Everyone has a way that works for them. Personal presentation, relationship with client, etc all come into play.  Do what works for you.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
The Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) is set up to monitor and combat illegal activity. SWIFT has teams around the state that conduct stings on a regular basis and sweep construction sites.

SWIFT also conducts joint operations and sweeps with other state agencies dedicated to combating underground activity. The partnerships with other agencies raise the penalties and fines for violators by increasing the scope of violations to include taxes, illegal payrolls, workers compensation and worker safety.

There busy here, a lot of it is in southern california or where ever there might be a disaster area.

Offline waynec

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
I work mainly for builders and they down give up front money. But when I work for a homeowner, I always
have a contract signed with the stipulation that I get a third down.

Offline waynec

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Why is it so hard to find really good help? Why is it that the majority of painters fall into one , all, or a combination of the following 3 catagories...

1. Stupid

2. Drug/alcohol problems

3. flakes

Wouldn't you think that in today's economy that people would be thankful for the work they get? As you know I put an ad on C-List last Saturday and had over 30 people call me within a couple of hours.

Well, I took my old painter back even after he cost me a job last Saturday (hence the ad I posted because he didn't show up)...

And now today, he was supposed to meet me here at my house at 6:30 this morning to meet with the GC and start a commercial job downtown. I talked to him yesterday af/noon and he assured me he wouldn't sleep in and that he'd be here to pick me up (because I just got a new work van a couple days ago, but I haven't registered it yet)

Well, it's 8:30 and still no answer when I call him and no call back to me.

I am pissed!!!!!!!! This is the SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess me paying him a flat rate if $150.00 a day wasn't enough.

There are literaly HUNDREDS of people in line to WORK RIGHT NOW and he thinks he can sleep in and blow me off????????????

I don't think so.

I swear the only guy I've ever worked with who totaly had it together in every catagory was Matt G. Great painter, great guy, great all around.

If I was working for somebody else in this economy right now... You can bet your shorts I'd be kicking ass and doing everything I could to keep my job. I sure as hell wouldn't be sleeping in and blowing the boss off.

*deep breath* Thanks for letting me vent. Luckily the GC is cool and I'm off to meet up with him now. 2 hours late. 

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
I have never worked for a builder without a third down. Maybe its me, but i'm not doing a $20,000-$30,000 paint job on my dime....saying that.....I have never been ripped off. Deposits and contracts keep business good for both partys. Every other trade gets a deposit, why not paint? Just my opinion. LOL....and we all have one!

anything