Author Topic: Ongoing little project.  (Read 6028 times)

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
Ongoing little project.
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
I'm hitting this job a couple hours here a couple hours there between jobs.  Its the spare room at my mums house.  Its an old house, with baaaaad plastered walls that had been covered with nasty paper.  The ceiling had an old anaglypta paper on.  Cheapo polystyrene coving around the tops, some fool had fixed with no nails.  Some old battered fitted white wardrobes which had to stay as the immersion heater is fitted within.  The doors were made with the cheapo contiboard (melamine faced chipboard).  An old nasty carpet.  All previous woodwork was in a state. Years of oil based gloss reapplied (badly).  So I'm fixing it all for her on a budget.  Basically just to tidy it up.  Heres the progress so far...

A couple of before shots.  Just used camera on phone which is lame with no zoom :(

With the walls and ceiling stripped.  The walls were terrible and needed replastering ideally.  Probably original plaster from when the place was built in 1930. But working on a budget remember ;)

Installed some plain 100mm coving around the tops.  Not sure if this is called crown molding in the states?!?! The plaster along the ceiling line had crumbled away so this hides it well.  On th 3rd pic you can see I finished with stop ends (an external return) so the top wardobe doors can be opened.

This is the bedroom door.  The previous occupants had boarded it over with plyboard at some stage. Looked ugly! And this is a good quality hardwood door. So gonna strip it right down and bring it up to date.  People pay a fortune to replicate original features in their homes.  So I'm looking forward to bringing this to life.

So as we're not paying a fortune to have it all replastered I've prepped and papered the ceiling with 1200 grade lining paper which will be painted later on.

Here's the wardobes after painting.  The timber frame you can barely see was brush painted.  The melamine faced doors were sprayed with a lil DIY HVLP unit I picked up from the US equivalent of Lowes.  This was the perfect job to practice on and try it out.  Not had any previous experience with HVLP but I am very impressed, even with this cheapo unit.  Will be investing in something bigger for sure.  The finish is great. And was so easy...think I had two small runs in 5 coats where I didn't move quick enough but they were easy fixed.
I had posted previously regarding painting the melamine.  After a good rub and wash down, I used 2 coats Dulux Super Grip Primer to provide a sound base, and then 1 u/c and two topcoats.  All sprayed and all waterbased. 
You can also see the walls have been lined with the same stuff as the ceiling (1200 grade lining paper).  2nd filled over the paper in places which wouldn't have been absolutely necessary but just tiny imperfections which would bug me.  Can save a lot of time 2nd filling after as it cuts out drying time.  Think they will come up well.  And if you could be in the room to see just how bad the walls were beforehand I think you'd give me a pat on the back.

Well I'll get more pics up as I get more done.

TIP:  If you're a bachelor working at you mums for just a couple hours a night is great as you sample ma's home cookin each n every day.  I can foresee me taking my time with this job :D And no of course I'm not charging her for the work...she couldn;t afford me  ;D

UPDATE

Some new pics of my progress.  Got the walls painted and laminate flooring down yesterday. Love the colour on the walls.  Its a grey better seen on the close up photo, called Urban Obsession by Dulux.  The beech laminate flooring looks really good against it.  On the walls close up pic you can see how well the walls have come up. I'm really pleased with them.  The ceiling however I am not.  It was filled twice and lined.  Now its painted the uneven-ness of the ceiling is really obvious with the lights on at night.  No amount of prep would fix it.  Ideally it needs ripping down and starting again.  But with it being an old lathe and plaster ceiling the mess would be unbelievable not to mention cost and we knew it wasn't option from the outset.  So then I was thinking about texturing the ceiling which I do not like.  Even a more modern texture like broken leather or stonewall.  Doesn't fit the vibe of the room anyway.  So I'm going to attempt a possibly brilliant solution.  I've never done one of these before but how I have it planned in my head it is fairly straight forward.  I'm going to build and install a drop ceiling.  Basically a timber frame with covered in plasterboard (drywall) fixed to the joist in the the existing ceiling.  This will be set about foot from the perimeter of the room.  Painted white, the existing ceiling (within that foot) will be brought in with the wall colour (but seperated by the white coving).  And in that grey, foot wide area I will have two spotlights installed in each side on a dimmer switch.

Maybe a lil ambitious but I think it will look really sweet, and go up pretty easy.  Famous last words huh? lol  I'll keep this page updated  :D

UPDATE IIb]

The drop ceiling is installed and looking good.  Installed several spotlights around the perimeter of the dropped ceiling which are on a remote contolled dimmer switch.  Just needs to be plastered now.  And then I 'm going to give the walls another coat and paint all the woodwork.  Job done :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:58:37 PM by jdmccann »

Vin

Re: Ongoing little project.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
GOOD PROJECT  ;D

Whats the paper on the ceiling you applied? vinyl?

Should be real nice once your all done.

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
Re: Ongoing little project.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
Its what we call lining paper.  Its like the backing you find on wallpaper and comes in various grades of thickness.  I used 1200 grade which is one of the thicker grades.  Its used to cover imperfections in walls and provide a good base for painting on or for wallpaper.  Especially useful with thinner papers on less than decent walls.  Its easy stuff to use as its not a finish.  You can throw it up.  I papered 3  9m square walls with a fair few obstacles in just over an hour.  A lot of folks here are wanting painted flat walls so if they have wallpaper on and less than perfect plaster underneath this is what we tend to use.  No need to wash the walls down just throw this up and and paint.

Do you guys not have that there then I take it?  Possibly due to the fact the walls here are all plaster which presents a host of new problems.

anything