Author Topic: Corner hutch  (Read 14039 times)

Vin

Corner hutch
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »
I guess that's what it could be called it's triangular shaped fits in a corner perfectly.

Its quit old not sure just how, has thick coat of paint probably layers.

Thinking about stripping and seeing what the original wood is, the back is a thin plywood .

Heres some pictures I don't want to ruin something that might be valuable ?

Just got new carpet put in living room today so its a bit bare yeah that's part of my coffee pot collection  :D

Kitchens a mess had to move everything in there from living room but the kitchens always a mess

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Corner hutch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:18:09 AM »
What kind of fasteners( nails) are holding the plywood on the back? Sometimes that will tell you the age of the piece.From here it does not look all that old( relatively speaking)

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »
Was this a built-in unit?  If so, how old is your house?

While I'm not an antique expert, I am auction fanatic and I've seen similar pieces as this go for around $100. 

If this were my cabinet I'd definitely make some simple square paneled doors for the bottom, extend the middle shelf out 3/4" and add some sort of decorative trim to the top and botton and paint it up.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
It looks 1930s-ish or newer to me, Vin. I wouldn't fear stripping it at all...We have a commode from the early 1900s, really ornate and solid oak, had serious finish issues, were told that so many of those still exist that refinishing was recommended.

So why is this in the Off Topic forum?

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

.... So why is this in the Off Topic forum?

To keep you on your toes PSmith! ;D
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:32 PM »
I see those around here pretty often in houses built just pre WWII.   The quality of the wood might not be worth the work stripping. Maybe go for just a spot like the open ledge and see what you have before committing to that big job.
 Here's one (before) I worked on a couple of years ago. The inside went a mustard yellow to show off dishes (not my choice!) .

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:54:26 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:16:20 PM »
Doesn't look like a true antique Vin... may be a candidate for some of that faux work you've been planing.. I would replace those oversized knobs with smaller ones...  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Doesn't look like a true antique Vin... may be a candidate for some of that faux work you've been planing..

Exactaly what I was thinking!

Man, I'm dieing to try some of that foil!  :D
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »

Man, I'm dieing to try some of that foil!  :D

Me too!  Unfortunately I can't think of a single way to incorporate it into my mismash rustic vs modern decor. :(  Damn you're teasing videos FoilEffects!!! lol

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
Vin

I would just clean it, sand, prime & paint it. Change the knobs!!   ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 10:10:40 PM »
It looks kinda old I cant find any type of stamped marking or anything on it so its nothing of great value I just like the concept.

SO what to do I dont think I will bother stripping but I'm going to have to come up with a finish idea, maybe a crackle effect to give it an old look or a worn look to it distress ?

Eric I figred this is off topic because it's furniture  ??? maybe once I get going on it ( if ever ) I will post in the paint area ?

Thanks guys for the comments I picked it up for nothing in a vacant unit, Like i need more junk! Its a great nik nak hutch, I put my collection of a  friends small clay figurines that she made for me in the top area the bottom is just for book storage and the middle shelf I have an old gas torch and an old picture of a neked lady in a nice frame  :o

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »

SO what to do I dont think I will bother stripping but I'm going to have to come up with a finish idea, maybe a crackle
effect to give it an old look or a worn look to it distress ?

A little of that foil stuff goes a long way, it can make stuff look tacky IMHO. Crackle is a super easy finish to do, or some people like the distressed technique. I saw this site recently when I was doing some research:
http://www.ghosttowntradingco.com/customorders.htm
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
Nice find Jan- bookmarked for future inspiration.
 Did a bath vanity of that sort - was kind of fun!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »
Thanks guys yeah something like that BJ

I am doing some work tomorrow for a gal who did faux finish on her own for quite awhile and every piece of furniture in her house has a different finish but there was one piece I really liked, just glanced at it, some sort of crackle but not big cracks small ones barely noticeable with a kinda solid look to it will inquire her how she got that done.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 04:58:45 PM »
Thanks guys yeah something like that BJ

I am doing some work tomorrow for a gal who did faux finish on her own for quite awhile and every piece of furniture in her house has a different finish but there was one piece I really liked, just glanced at it, some sort of crackle but not big cracks small ones barely noticeable with a kinda solid look to it will inquire her how she got that done.

I've done some crackle painting back in the day and for one piece of furniture I did figure out how to manipulate what kind of crackle finish I got by how I applied the crackle solution and how long I waited until I painted over it.  Unforntunately, that was eons ago and I can't remember enough to give you sound advice.  I think to get the 'barely noticeable' crackle I applied less crackle solution and painted it beyond the recomended time.  To test just get 6 or so small pieces of wood and paint them the base color.  Put the crackle finish on lightly on 3 boards and heavily on the other three.  Then paint one heavily applied crackle and one lightly applied crackle piece at say 15 minutes after applying the crackle and paint the others in 15,20 or 30 minute intervals. 

anything