Author Topic: Zinsser Cover Stain WB  (Read 29159 times)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Zinsser Cover Stain WB
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »
I think the train of thought is to ban the product ( or make it waterborne) and there will be no real demand for the solvents used for thinning and clean up, the market will dry up. Kinda like cutting off the head of the snake...  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
I've actually experienced spontaneous combustion of boiled linseed oil.  VERY dangerous stuff if not handled properly, and most never know it until they see it with their own eyes.  If you do use it, fully immerse all rags & tools in a metal container full of water immediately after use!!!  Don't EVER get lazy with that one.  The results could be disastrous.  Don't ask how I know this.  ;)

But it sure makes a damn near perfect exterior wood preservative...

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »
Dont use it with steel wool either. It usually needs the rags to be crumpled or piled to create the heat. On big jobs when union, we always hung them on scaffolding over night to harden then thrown in a 5 of water.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »
BrushJockey, that reminds me. Zinsser PRIMECOAT2 works great on bare wood too, especially poplar and sands nice, does not raise grain.

Alright JP, went out to get a gal of PrimeCoat2 to give it a try. A decent raw wood primer is really an important thing for me . I have some sample boards to play with, I'll report back.

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
BrushJockey, that reminds me. Zinsser PRIMECOAT2 works great on bare wood too, especially poplar and sands nice, does not raise grain.

Alright JP, went out to get a gal of PrimeCoat2 to give it a try. A decent raw wood primer is really an important thing for me . I have some sample boards to play with, I'll report back.

Excellent! Please do. I just had a chance minutes ago to sand my wood samples with Cover Stain WB. Sanded to a powder nicely. One advantage over oil-based CS here. With oil-base CS, you can sand your primer off easily because it sands to easy. My CS WB samples sanded easily and to a powder but did not cut too much primer off, enough to get my brush marks out. Said on the can something like sands crisply. It does. I use those 3M PRO-PADS from SW aka Glit pads, the Fine ones. PC2 is very inexpensive for what it does.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
I tried to do a little research on Primecoat2, and Zinnser didn't even have it listed in their products, and the google hits just came up with your blog.  Not too much of a widespread endorsement...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline woosterbrushman

• PRODUCT REP.
  • Know the serious from the curious prospect ASAP
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
Prime coat 2 is the same thing as Bullseye waterbase or maybe 1-2-3

Zinsser is making that a private label to sell in the big box stores. One store might have it as Prime coat 2, the other box across the street will call it fast prime or even quick prime......  can't keep up with the names.  They are doing it that way so the store has its own unique product and won't have to price match the same item since another store won't have the same item. 

They don't list it on the Zinsser web site as it is only being offered to one chain of stores.  Menard's was the first to do this and then Lowe's and Home Depot followed with their own unique brand name made by Zinsser. 

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
It has a little less sheen than 123, so maybe it's bullseye. Good to know about the labeling.  I primed some old panel  doors and 1 raw flat and it worked fine, coverage was pretty good, Minimal sanding to smooth on the raw oak door ( cheep veneer) .
 Same horse, different saddle.

Vin

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
I used Z123 WB on some cabinets yesterday and they bled through like crazy  obviously the wood was treated with some sort of oil so it doesn't work on ALL surfaces....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:26:50 PM by Vin »

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 05:17:29 AM »
so it doesn't work on ALL surfaces....

Don't know of anything that does ::)

Offline jackpauhl

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
Prime coat 2 is the same thing as Bullseye waterbase or maybe 1-2-3

Zinsser is making that a private label to sell in the big box stores. One store might have it as Prime coat 2, the other box across the street will call it fast prime or even quick prime......  can't keep up with the names.  They are doing it that way so the store has its own unique product and won't have to price match the same item since another store won't have the same item. 

They don't list it on the Zinsser web site as it is only being offered to one chain of stores.  Menard's was the first to do this and then Lowe's and Home Depot followed with their own unique brand name made by Zinsser. 

If this is true and could possibly be, I would point towards Bullseye. The characteristics are too far different to be BIN.

Offline jackpauhl

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
I used Z123 WB on some cabinets yesterday and they bled through like crazy  obviously the wood was treated with some sort of oil so it doesn't work on ALL surfaces....

Vin, which product? 123 or Cover Stain Water-base?

Vin

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
My bad I got confused its the cover stain WB that I used I'll take a picture of what I sprayed it on

Zinsser introduces the “next generation” of interior/exterior water-base primer — Cover-Stain Advanced Formula Water-Base Primer-Sealer Stain Killer. Cover-Stain WB blocks stains from water, nicotine, smoke damage — even tannin bleed from cedar — as well as oil-soluble stains like grease, crayon, tar or asphalt, usually in just one coat.

Not sure whats on those cabinets but its bled through whatever it is. I also used it on a greasy back splash area  behind the stove and that bled also, 2 coats might cover that area though I will try today.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

Zinsser introduces the “next generation” of interior/exterior water-base primer — Cover-Stain Advanced Formula Water-Base Primer-Sealer Stain Killer. Cover-Stain WB blocks stains from water, nicotine, smoke damage — even tannin bleed from cedar — as well as oil-soluble stains like grease, crayon, tar or asphalt, usually in just one coat.

I'm very sceptical of these claims. I do not have jobs where I can afford to experiment with property with which I am trusted. I haven't taken the time to read the application directions, but were I relegated to have to use a water-borne primer on the substances listed, I would apply multiple coats--The rush to satisfy "Greenies" and the infliction of state-generated ignorance does nothing to bolster my trust in these products, regardless who manufactures them...

Vin

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »
We do still have kilz original on the shelves here in California maybe its the last of it but it's there I just bought up 5 1 gallon cans they had at walmart last night, good price too $14.00 a gal.

anything