Author Topic: Adidas mural  (Read 11920 times)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Adidas mural
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:51:38 AM »
Here are a couple pictures of a mural I installed for Adidas up in Portland, OR recently.

Offline canadianpainter

Re: Adidas mural
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:42:56 PM »
Looks good.  We rarely ever do wallpaper jobs, but when we do I prime the patches.  I've never had to use sizing, but for future reference, can you tell me if sizing really seals patches? 

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Sizing is just a thinned-down paste. I haven't sized in many, many years. Its a completely different animal than priming. That whole wall, patches included, was double-primed with Gardz. Gardz will definitely seal up patches well.

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
Advantages of priming over sizing?

Most walls we do are plaster... never had a problem with sizing them.  Is there a difference with dry wall that requires priming.  I have invested in some Zinsser Gardz for when I do next get drywall to paper.  Its not a product easily available over here so when I saw some Gardz I grabbed it.  Our usual method had been to strip carefully over dry wall, repair and size with PVA.  But with drywall being uncommon over here, but growing in use, I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from you guys.

Great work on the mural by the way!!!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
The paste transfers easily through flats and cheaper primers, adhering to the paper face of the sheetrock. Then stripping later really wrecks the surface and lots of effort to fix. Plus  guardz gives great slip.  I'm sure PWG has about a dozen more good reasons to use it.
 One problem I have with Guardz is the strong odor.  In this green crazy time that can be a problem. Someone asked somewhere else if Z's Peel Stop ( not bond) was similar enough to guardz to use as a wall sealer. Much less odor.
 Any opinions?
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
Peel Stop is good stuff. I use both but rely on Gardz for chalky or calsomine issues. Peel stop is a bonding primer/sealer. I've had good success with it. Hard to tell any difference between them except maybe less odor.? I've never used peel stop though on patches or dry wall, more on issue type paints (chipping, cracking etc.) Also found 2 coats works best. Great job on the mural.! I think your on the Road more than me!

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
The paste transfers easily through flats and cheaper primers, adhering to the paper face of the sheetrock. Then stripping later really wrecks the surface and lots of effort to fix. Plus  guardz gives great slip.  I'm sure PWG has about a dozen more good reasons to use it.
 One problem I have with Guardz is the strong odor.  In this green crazy time that can be a problem. Someone asked somewhere else if Z's Peel Stop ( not bond) was similar enough to guardz to use as a wall sealer. Much less odor.
 Any opinions?

Ever any experience sealing the dry wall with a few coats of PVA?  Its what we have used in the past on the rare occasions we've had to deal with dry wall.  But we've never had to go back to strip the paper again.  I ask for a couple of reasons... the Gardz is difficult to get hold of here.  And its pricey... about $35 for 3.5ltrs... just over half a gallon... in coverage terms 40 square metres.  I can't see my company wanting to purchase Gardz on the insurance jobs we carry out.  The insurance companies won't pay for it basically.  But I do have a job of my own I'll be starting this week... and I will be trying out Gardz for the first time.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
Before I heard ( from PWG) about using Gardz I would use a blend of Zinnser 123 ( for sealing, but it was a hard finish) and a flatter primer like bullseye or fastprime. Worked well I thought, and with a fan dried fast. But PWG's explination of rewetting primers before they cured with the paste is what made me  a beliver in the gardz.
I don't use PVA for anything.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 05:20:13 AM »
Ever any experience sealing the dry wall with a few coats of PVA?  Its what we have used in the past on the rare occasions we've had to deal with dry wall.  But we've never had to go back to strip the paper again. 

You will find out why you NEED to use a wall covering primer when and if you  have to remove it.

Offline decoman

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:58 AM »
PWG - you had to stop for good beer while in Oregon?? No???
MAK -
Decoman

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
PWG - you had to stop for good beer while in Oregon?? No???
I wish! I was in and out quick on this gig.

Offline thebrushand

• Andrew Crichton Master Painter and Decorator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
Sizing is just a thinned-down paste.
That is a modern interpretation of sizing, in fact, the size I was taught to use way back when is amongst other things, melted horse hoofs, smells horrible and sticks the proverbial to a blanket.

If I had to paper over dry wall in the UK I'd use oil-based primer sealer, scuff sand it when dry and unibond it.

I used to "size" with Beeline primer sealer, which is a waterbased "PVA" product. It was promoted as a decorating solution, rather than "just another PVA builders' product" so it presumably had some added magic ingredient, (he says in ignorance) It isnt available any more but it did seem to work well as a "size" even on glass, laminate...