Author Topic: Stucco failure  (Read 7097 times)

Vin

Stucco failure
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
Some patchs I came across and asked to fix the issue looks like lime is seeping out of walls white powerery stuff ?

I figure it got put on and wasn't allowed to dry long enough before being painted and now it's failed I am pretty sure at least 30 days are needed for drying.

I also doubt it was sealed with a primer after application nor were the walls pre sealed.

Heres some pics,

Notice bubble pockets with white dust

This one is just seeping and small amount of bubbling

Vin

Re: Stucco failure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
Found this,

During cool, damp weather water-soluble salts may leach
out of the cement and lime in base and finish coats leaving a
white haze, efflorescence, on the surface

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »
Answered your own question, Vin! Good on yer....

In the "boom" that was Phoenix several years ago, you'd see a LOT of this. Greedy builders and uninformed homeowners can really ruin a nice house...

Vin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
Yeah think I have this one figured out so it's worth sharing Eric.

Primary efflorescence

Primary efflorescence is named such, as it typically occurs during the initial cure of a cementitious product. It routinely occurs in masonry construction, particularly brick, as well as some firestop mortars, when water moving through a wall or other structure, or water being driven out as a result of the heat of hydration as cement stone is being formed, brings salts to the surface that are not commonly bound as part of the cement stone. As the water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind, which forms a white, fluffy deposit, that can normally be brushed off. The resulting white deposits are referred to as "efflorescence" in this instance. In this context efflorescence is sometimes referred to as "saltpetering." Since primary efflorescence brings out salts that are not ordinarily part of the cement stone, it is not a structural, but, rather, an aesthetic concern.

My Dentist recently had his building painted and the whole back side was patched stucco wait till you see those pictures  :o :o  I am going to give him a bid on repairing the damage and see if I can get some dental work done HEH HEH probably a few thousands worth WHICH I NEED!!

Jared

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
Vin -

Note that efflorescence problems tend to be recurring - so don't be surprised if the problem returns within a few months of your repair job.  I disagree with your article's statement that efflorescence normally occurs during the initial curing phase of the cementitious material - I have found it happens long after initial installation, more often than not.  Fixing the cause of efflorescence can be impossible in certain circumstances - like a cementitious retaining wall holding back a large volume of dirt, for example.  One would have to eliminate the moisture within that dirt or seal the side of the wall that contacts the dirt, either of which is simply not feasible...

In my experience, sometimes efflorescence problems just have to be accepted, or constantly reworked to keep it under control.  That's not to say that you are destined to fail - it just means that, in some cases, you won't want to offer a warranty on the repair...  In fact, I have a clause in all my contracts which states I do not honor warranty at all when it comes to efflorescence issues.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 06:37:42 AM »
When I was doing new construction down there I would regularly demand a two week "water cure" before I would touch a house. Someone needed to hose down the entire structure twice a day, every day, for two weeks. The water draws out the lime that stucco guys over-use to speed their jobs. After that two weeks the stucco is pretty much as hard as steel.

Once in a while, when repairing severe efflourescence (to the point where the brown coat was sloughing off the finish coat, not unlike Vin's 1st pic), I would scrape the released coat of stucco and after the acid-cleaning would do a water curing of the affected areas. Time consuming, but those areas were never a problem again.

Retaining walls are the worst for efflourescence, especially when stucco'd over...

pH testing with phenolphaline (sp?) is a must, water cured or not...If the test shows positive, reFUSE to paint...

Vin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38:17 AM »
Well this work was done over a year ago and just recently started presenting itself so your right on the mark Jared.

Eric I guess what I could do is patch the areas let them dry then have the lady hose the spots down every day fgor a few weeks let it dry and paint see what happens?

I have some patch's I did over a year ago I am going to go take a peak at I haven't been called back but now I am curious, I let those sit for about a week before painting.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
Vin- I'm facing a similar problem- I'm supposed to  do touch up all around this mansion for sale , including this little problem in a laundry room. House is around 100 y o , this is at the frost line.  I see it all the time in old basements here, including mine.
 (BTW, same place that has the deck in my other thread)

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »
I love nasty project Bj LOL that's a good one.

anything