Author Topic: Mad dog primer  (Read 6174 times)

Offline beetlejuice

Mad dog primer
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
Hi Folks, anyone out there used Mad dog primer? I did a forum search and didn't get any results. Let me know. Thanks Beetlejuice

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Mad dog primer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »
The only mad dog I know of was followed by a 20/20!   ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline beetlejuice

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
Here is a link to there website. Check it out and tell us what you think. thanks Beet

http://maddogprimer.com/

Vin

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »
looks real good go for it

http://maddogprimer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/mdp-comparison.pdf

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
Beetle- looks interesting, and any paint job that holds up here in MN for 10 years says something.
 I used XIM Peel Bond today, and I think it's next gen from elastomerics. Used very similar. Might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Just hit Vin's comparison chart. Interesting , although I don't know where they got no adhesion for peel <BOND>
I wonder how much else there is inflated info.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:54:51 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline beetlejuice

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »
Thanks for your responses. Brush, I have the same concerns. I spoke with the owner of the company and he sells his product well..., but I still have my doubts. He's sending me some samples and test boards, so I'll let you know what I think. My biggest concern is that it is translucent, so it'll require multiple finish coats. Thanks Beetle

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:21:16 AM »
Peel Bond is also translucent, but you can throw tints into it to give it some coverage. I think it said that about Mad Dog too.  Are any stores carrying it or is it just an online purchase? Shipping for paint products boosts the coast up quite a bit. Need to be really exceptional to be worth it.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »
Hmmm, yeah, I'd have to start seeing it in my local paint suppliers store before I even considered it. @ $66/gallon (PLUS shipping) they seem mighty proud of a product that they apparently haven't found dealers for.

And the claim "Weather Smart resins grip on at an amazing 300 PSI and can flex up to 300%." means nothing if the topcoat won't do the same...

You know what it usually means when the sales pitch sounds too good to be true... ::)

Offline sgryan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
Hello All: 

About 5-6 years have past since comments were made about Mad Dog Primer to this discussion.  Here is an update from me at the office.

"It Sounds to Good to be True", is a comment we hear a lot. The claims we make do sound too good to be true.

There is good cause to doubt claims in the painting industry; We can purchase 50 year caulk and lifetime paint, HOWEVER, the average project in the USA is culturally expected to last less than 10 years.

When i was a painting contractor in 1994, I thought to myself, "isn't it a little odd we could put a man into space and on the moon. We can perform successful heart transplants. We design ICBM missiles to lift off into the sky, then the atmosphere, then thru space and back again and hit a target across the globe the size of a laundry basket. "

Drum Roll Please..............
"......However, we can't seem to design a paint not to fail and peel?"

I decided to do some research, testing, and experiments. after 4 years of testing, in 1998 we felt comfortable enough to use our "miracle" primer on a large project.   16 years later, in 2014, the project is still looks great.  It could use a touch up in a few areas on the south side.  I think we have saved the owner(s) $10,000 - $20,000 in painting costs.

Traditional Oil and Latex Primers:
Traditional product will penetrate and adhere to the surface, but, they become less flexible as the year go by.  However, the building surfaces continue to expand and contract  every day of the year due to weather and the seasons.  This incompatible relationship results in paint separating and peeling from the surface over time.

Mad Dog Primer Technology:
Mad Dog Products are designed to penetrate and adhere to the surface........ And...... it remains permanently flexible and breathable.  As the building surfaces go through their daily fluctuation, Mad Dog Primers hold on firmly but also flexibly.  This added characteristic allows the coatings to last longer.

The real difference:
Traditional products last an average of 5-10 years.
Most Mad Dog Primers are expected to last 10-20 years (with a bit of touch up)

I always add "with a little bit of touch up to every example" to drive a stake thru the heart of the "too perfect to be true" ideas.  Mad Dog Primers are not perfect by any means. customers chose our products because it it a Better Deal.

Thanks For Reading, Steve Ryan Founder and CEO.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:06:27 PM by sgryan »

anything