Author Topic: Taking on more than just painting  (Read 6191 times)

Offline wje

• Wes Evans Painting
Taking on more than just painting
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »
Any of you guys taken on a project that consist of more than just painting? The opportunity may rise for me to take on a complete basement, carpentry, drywall and paint. The money is there...  I will have to find out if the people I know are fit for it. It will be a gamble, but with the potential for quite a big payout. Any of you venture outside the box before?

Vin

Re: Taking on more than just painting
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »
I don't do much carpentry work heck I'm having trouble make a dang cat coop for my cats out on my patio and need to frame it in and run wire all around it and it's a PAIN!

But I did do some door trim for a lady few weeks back replaced what her dog ate and she needed a fence post for a gate to be re hung so I got a friend to do that he did a nice job and she needed her garage door worked on and I know a guy who's pretty good at that so I got him to take care of that. I didn't make money off either of those jobs I help my friend's out who are in the trades and in turn they bring work back to me later. It's risky depending on others.....!

I do drywall repairs, texturing and what not so that goes with my painting ability's just NO framing stuff here, Jared's the do it ALL guy around here LOL

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
I incorporated remodeling into the painting business.

I've done complete kitchen and bath remodels, replacement windows, entry doors, patio doors.

Those items can earn you thousands of dollars in a short time.

I've also opened an auto detail shop. Diversify.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
I'm more hung up on eating than being a painter.  That said, I'de rather paint than do anything else, so everything I do leads back to painting.

A couple years ago, after I had finished painting a house, I realized that I had made a mess on a couple of windows upstairs. ..... long story short I went and bought some window cleaning squeeges etc,  I'm looking at developing it as a side line to painting.   So far the only thing I've done is commcercial jobs for people that own other businesses and painting customers. 

IT's been a long week I'll post more on this as I get time

Offline wje

• Wes Evans Painting
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »
It does sound like it will work out well. The situation is this. A restoration company I do a ton of work for is looking for a one stop shop (drywall, carpentry both framework and finishing and painting) I told them I have a ticketed carpenter friend who is out of work and wondered if they could use him full time. They told me they will sub the jobs to me and we can work that way. The prices are predetermined for all labor and material allowance is seperate. My price is the scope price minus 10% profit for them. I figure out of that I could make about 25% profit .I figure by employing my buddy and maybe a helper we could do quite well. I already have myself and another on the go but with 4 guys I feel we could knock a lot off and do well. I always offer competetive wages and treat my guys well. So I think other trades will enjoy working with me. One thing I will tell my friend though is that the friendship comes first.... if work gets messy, the project is done and I will call it off. I am looking forward to the experience and cannot wait to get the ball rolling.

On a side note I am averaging about 3 new leads a week for the past month and have got every job I have priced in recent memory. I  lost  one after they had hired me and decided they didn't want to wallpaper after all.

Should be a busy Spring/Summer

Offline rex

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
i do alot of repairs that come along with painting a room or a house.  It all really started years ago when we would encounter rotted wood on old homes. We would have to call a carpenter, wait for him to repair the rot, then go back sometimes months later to paint what he had replaced.  I soon learned how to do carpentry. I had a background in some woodworking from high school when I had 3 years of cabinetmaking classes. I now build cabinets for customers when the need arises, and do all sorts of carpentry and trim work.  I install crown moldings and chair rail alot.  I have an old house paint job coming up that I have to replace at least 5 or 6 window sills set into brick, and all sorts of rotted trim up on dormers where the wood meets the roof. Should be an interesting job because I have to match up old moldings.  It definitely adds another dimension to your work. The only bad part is all the tools.  I have thousands of dollars worth of carpentry tools that I purchased over the years. I have to have 2 vans, one for painting tools and equipment and one for carpentry tools.  Someday maybe I will get a box truck to try and consolidate everything into one truck.

Offline decoman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »
We also have started doing small carpentry repairs as for some homes and townhomes we paint it was easier for us to make the siding and trim board repairs then for the client to find a carpenter contractor to do such small repairs. We also will do small drywall and tape jobs as I learned to tape with in the Painters and tapers union.

Also I install Crown molding as my grandfather was a GC who specialize in trim all by hand (came from across the big pond) I learn who too install elaborate crowns as a youngster.

I will install a few a year and then finish them.. I enjoy doing it when I do it but don't think I could do it all the time, my love is for painting and finishing
MAK -
Decoman

Jared

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:40 PM »
I started out as a painter, but over the years I picked up lots of other skills within the construction trade.  Now I do at least a little of everything.  Lots of paint, finish carpentry, and tile, with a bit of everything else mixed in.

Right now I'm gutting & remodeling a restaurant, and it's my first time running the whole show.  To play the GC role right, it takes a LOT more hours...