Author Topic: Removal of silicone caulk  (Read 49962 times)

Offline SCSteve

• I'm a llama!
Removal of silicone caulk
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:29:09 AM »
I have started to refurbish the old wood windows on my house.  I am removing as much old caulk as I can and then use a good latex caulk.  My problem is that the old owner applied silicone caulk in a very sloppy manner and then tried to paint over it.  Needless to say it looks terrible......my problem is removing the old silicone caulk.  What is the best way to remove this old stuff and how can I be sure that I "got it all" so the next coat of paint doesn't peel again?  I have tried a sharp paint scraper, razor scraper and knife, sharp chisels, etc. with mixed results at best.  It seems like the first pass removes alot, but each subsequent pass removes a little more each time until I gouge the wood.  Any help would be appreciated!

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Removal of silicone caulk
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:49:01 AM »
SCSteve,

you might want to give this a try:   has worked great for me on cleaning off all of the caulk.
http://www.dutchguard.com/p-liftoff-silicone-latex-chalk-remover.html

And also one of the best paint removers I have found,  sure beats  oops,  goof-off and some of the other brands.

I use the Motsenbocker's Lift Off # 5  and also use it for other dried paints such as acrylics on stencils .  This stuff works   GREAT
http://www.dutchguard.com/p-LIFTOFF5.html

I get it from Home Deopt

good luck.  :)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:51:43 AM »
Steve,
Be careful with liquid caulk strippers if you are working with insulated glass windows or doors, the stripper can break the seal..if not give them a try... ;)

Remove as much as you can with the razor knife, etc. Caulk over the remaining with a "siliconized" acrylic latex caulk. The acrylic caulk should bridge the old caulk and give a paintable surface.

I swear... I don't know why non-paintable silicone caulk is still on the market.    :-\  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:00:01 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:56:39 AM »
I know what you mean Michael,   just like  oil paints.

Made that mistake many moons ago using the wrong caulk.  Boy this that one teach me a lesson. :o

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:30:17 PM »
Plumbers, man....They HATE us!!!

Offline craftybrush

Re: Removal of silicone caulk
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:44:11 AM »
Hi Guys, Newbie here.
I thought nothing adhered to silicone caulk? There is a "siliconized" acrylic latex caulk that does adhere!? and it's paintable?  OMG! I have a client whose entire house is "silconized" around every trim layer,window and door and floor. I was gouging the drywall and then skim coating,sanding, priming and finally painting after trying a variety of products claiming would remove silicone. I, too, found they removed thick beads but left a residue.

Jared

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Paint sticks to PAINTER'S CAULK - usually comes in white.  "Alex" and "Alex Plus" are the DAP brand Painter's Caulk products.

Paint does NOT stick to GE Silicone II or most other Silicone-based caulks.

If in doubt, read the tube!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:33:01 PM »
Jared,

It's an old painter's trick...  ;)

Remove as much of the silicone caulk as you can, caulk over the remaining residue  with paintable "siliconized" acrylic latex caulk, prime and paint. The "siliconized" latex caulk acts as a bridge bond between the silicone and the paint.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline nslapton

• Removing Silicone Caulk
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »
I stand by my trusty utility knife when it comes to removing silicone caulk.

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »
What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!

anything