Author Topic: Re:Accused of stealing  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
Re:Accused of stealing
« on: March 04, 2006, 10:02:28 AM »
Who would have thought that Tony was a sweet little old lady of 75 years that cooked dinners for you, packed lunches for you to take to work and all the time telling you what a wonderful job you where doing and insist on a hug before you left each day. Tell you how neat you kept everything and how much her new house now felt like home because of the new paint job. Pretty tricky of Tony.

How can one protect themselve from this? Besides going through a court system I guess your screwed.

I've never been boned before, can I have myself bonded and would that do any good in a case like this?

Is there a standard contract out there to use and where can I get a copy?

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:38:53 PM »
Kevin ~ I'm on the hunt for standard agreements and contracts too.  Talked to a few attorneys and was advised that a simple agreement that I compose myself is better than nothing.

I've been consulting for almost three years.  Every single client thus far has offered to write me "the check" and handed it over full of appreciation for my services and with many thanks.  That record ended last month, I guess deep down I knew I was playing roulette working without contracts.

I'll definitely be interested in other responses you may get.
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:36:56 PM »
To accompany contracts also consider addendums.

Change of Work Order. Always, always get a signature." But my husband doesn't MAKE that decision". Don't ask...but it only happened ONCE to me.

I always used a DecorCard. A complete color selection card for each room, trim, windows, ceiling, etc. with the sheen description and ALWAYS a customer signature.

Even though the entire project was covered by a blanket contract, I detailed each room (phase 1, 2, 3, etc) and got the satisfaction form signed before I moved to the next area.

Job Phase Completion Certificate

Upon signing this certificate, you the customer and owner of premises, hereby agrees that all work as prescribed in the master contract (dining room) has been completed as described in the DecorCard details and that all work meets or exceeds the expected professional detail and finish. I, the owner, have personally inspected the work and approve of the agreed to price of $______________ for (dining room).

Nobody in business is your buddy. The sooner you learn that, the sooner your profits will be more secure.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:20:31 PM »
Bummer,,,  You can buy a generic contract at staples or office depot.  I guess contractual obligations vary from state to state but this will do in a court of law in most states.  If u live in a backwards state, then look out.  Never do work changes without a "change order", this is all for4 self protection.  You are always vulnerable to a bad customer, the paperwork protects you from the irrational customer.  Inevitably it will happen
Git er done!

anything