Author Topic: Question about hybrid paints  (Read 19979 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Question about hybrid paints
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
Actually, the hybrids tack up fairly fast.

I do have to amend this statement;

Though the stuff tacks up quickly, it will still have a sticky feel to it up to a day later. I don't know what the cure rate is for it.

Jared

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
In high humidity and moderate to low temps, I've even seen some hybrids feel sticky 2 or even 3 days later - especially in the higher sheens.

I always tell my clients that the hybrids will need a 3 to 4 week cure time.  Doesn't always take that long, but it can in some cases...

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
SW is supposed to be bringing a water reducible alkyd sometime in the near future. I've been told that it stays open longer and supposedly lays down as the best oils...We'll see. They also have a new product that I haven't tried or seen called Solo. Anyone heard of this?

Offline decoman

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »
Yeah, Floetrol sucks for sure.  A job last week I was working on with one of those creamy yellowish type colors (every time I look at the formula on the can and see OY as one of the primary ingredients I get scared) barely covered in two coats.  After adding Floetrol it barely covered in three coats! I only used it because it was all I had on hand, but I solved the great debate in my head about whether Floetrol affects coverage or not so that's something.  I don't want to thin the paint and I don't want it to affect coverage.  The best scenerio would be to just use the stuff right out of the cans like the old days, but I understand those days are long gone.

Carl - at least in my color exp.. OY is yellow oxide which to me covers as well as any tint it is the y that is the !!!! its the bright yellow I think universals its AXX but BM it is just y or yw

OY and BK in a color are what makes lite whites cover nice..
MAK -
Decoman

anything