Author Topic: Painting a popcorn Ceiling which roller cover should I use???  (Read 45355 times)

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
Re: Painting a popcorn Ceiling which roller cover should I use???
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm with you on that. But removing the popcorn drives up the labor/cost required. 99% of all customers who I have made the suggestion to remove the popcorn ceiling have passed on the idea. Some I even get the feeling that they think I am making the job too complicated, or that I am trying to drive up the labor charge. I've actually had customers say with a smile, something to the effect, "Oh, I know you aren't looking forward to painting that popcorn ceiling. It would probably be easier for you to just remove it and start over". Yeah, right, easier.

I'd never heard of until recently, here in this forum, that popcorn ceilings can contain aspestos. Kind of scarey....as if our trade doesn't already have enough potential health risks.

All things considered, I think i'll continue to risk painting them as is...making the customer aware before hand of the risk of problems, of course.

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
http://www.asbestos.net/asbestos-products/acoustical-finishes.html

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
Roaddog- When I see an older house that has a popcorn ceiling, it is always because they were trying to hide cracks. Usually unsuccessfully, because the cracks weren't fixed.
 To tell those clients that the tex is not architecturally correct to the house, and the ceiling would look so much better with the cracks fixed correctly, gives me a chance at the sale. Because it's true.
  Around here newer (1970's +) suburban houses almost all have popcorn, so a flat ceiling is the exception.

And that link is really scary. I've scraped tons of the stuff.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:08:05 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
LOL.....yep, cracks or invented by drywallers cause they hate ceilings! My part of the country is mostly flat walls and ceilings. Dont see a lot of popcorn.

Jared

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »
Yep, I've previously preached here about the importance of lab testing of popcorn before removal.  I've even seen houses built as late as 1989 that contained more than 5% asbestos in the popcorn.

Around here, painting a popcorn ceiling seems to be the exception.  Perhaps it is because I got really good at selling popcorn removal services.  Regardless, 99 out of 100 popcorn ceilings I've dealt with were removal jobs.  Not a fun job, but it has always brought in a decent profit margin for me.

I use techniques very similar to the asbestos abatement companies, whether the popcorn contains asbestos or not.  It surely makes post-removal cleanup a breeze, if you plan out the job well.  Probably removed 50,000 sq ft or more in the last 4 years, so I've done tons of popcorn removal.  Probably 90% of the removal I've done has exposed drywall joints which weren't even taped... 

Pretty much everything stated in that article is true.  Good link, Roadog!

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
Around here, painting a popcorn ceiling seems to be the exception.  Perhaps it is because I got really good at selling popcorn removal services.  Regardless, 99 out of 100 popcorn ceilings I've dealt with were removal jobs.  Not a fun job, but it has always brought in a decent profit margin for me.

Here too Jared - in Florida the popcorn is probably the most common ceiling I deal with in homes built between 1970=1990-ish, and at least with the people I've dealt with they want it gone - we have it in our house too and one day it's coming out, I hate it. Thanks for the good advice as always. I never even thought about the asbestos factor!
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
"Acoustic" ceilings were definitely created to hide the sins of inadequate drywall work. So were the earlier forms of drywall texture, until they caught on and became trendy. Heavy textures created a lot of lazy drywallers, just as the airless pump created a lot of lazy spray guys who wouldn't know which end of a roll of tape went up their butts... ;D

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »
....heavy textures created a lot of lazy drywallers, just as the airless pump created a lot of lazy spray guys who wouldn't know which end of a roll of tape went up their butts... ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde