Author Topic: Painting a popcorn Ceiling which roller cover should I use???  (Read 45352 times)

Offline saltydog806

I have a small job (420 sq') and it is a medium textured popcorn ceiling. What type of cover do you recomened. I was thinking a 1/2" nap might work. Should I go up to a 3/4" and what about those split foam covers that claim they are for popcorn ( I have never used one)? If I don't go foam should I use lambswool?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:35:08 AM by saltydog806 »

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Painting a popcorn Ceiling which roller cover should I use???
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
First off, if that ceiling hasn't been previously painted, you may want to invest in a shower cap, 'cause that stuff is going to rain down on you.

When rolling a raw acoustic ceiling you need to remember to get it right on the first pass, as laying off will start pulling the styrofoam chunks off in---chunks. The foam rollers work, but if you use any pressure whatsoever that shower cap will be serving a second purpose.

a half inch nap will not hold enough paint to be practical, use at least a 3/4.

Expect a lot of debris. Spray if at all possible.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
Spraying would be the way to go in my opinion but since you asked about roller covers I would have to say go with a minimum of 3/4". I agree with paintsmith that the 1/2" would not be a good idea. I use lambswool rollers on most everything I paint but I have found that they don't work very well for popcorn ceilings. I've seen but never tried the split rollers you mentioned but it might be worth a try.
And as mentioned, wear a hood and cover the floor good.

Jared

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »
Also, you might want to consider a tip that I read from rmichael a few years ago:  use an oil-based primer.  This will help if the popcorn's bond isn't up to par.  Using a water-based coating on an unpainted popcorn ceiling can sometimes lead to the popcorn releasing in roller-width sheets, if the popcorn's bond is tenuous.  The oil-based primer will at least help out in avoiding this problem.

And if you want some more reading on the subject, do a general search here for "painting popcorn" and you'll find about 20 existing threads which discuss different aspects of the job.

Offline saltydog806

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
Yup, spraying is out of the question.Thanks for the info on the covers all (for me and the rollers)  ;) . Jared, many thanks on the oil primer point, I happened across a couple of sites that said the same thing and it made sense so I was going with it. Confermation is always great. I will try the "Split Foam" and let you know what I think. Buy the way I'm charging my regular rate for painting (.79 sq'). Should I have added a premium?

Thanks all

Jared

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Adding a premium is up to you.  It is ceiling work, which nobody likes to do, and it will be messier than usual.

But I would CERTAINLY warn the client about the possibility of popcorn delamination & damage, and any associated costs for repairs that become necessary.  In most cases, you'll finish the job without incident - but when that one bad popcorn ceiling comes your way, you'll have your butt already covered.

Offline saltydog806

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
0)-(0 Got it covered though it is to late to add a premium (checking so when I get onother one in 8 years I'll know). I'm brining touch up and reserved the right to quit the job at any time with no charge or penalty.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »
I would say rolling a popcorn ceiling takes twice as long as rolling a smooth one.  More dipping, your dips don't go as far and you use more paint....plus you have to take into account the time it takes to pick the little painted popcorn kernels out of your eyeballs.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »
Just a couple thoughts....

I have used the split foam covers with good success, but in my case, the acoustic ceiling had been coated previously.

If you plan to do two coats, I would suggest rolling one one direction and the rolling one the other.  Maybe you'd do that anyway. :)

Good luck,

lj

Offline saltydog806

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
This site is great  ;)/;, I can't thank you all enough (though I will have a beer in your names). One last question, do I load the roller as I would for any other job or should I load less paint?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »
IF the ceiling has already been painted previously, I like to thin the paint a bit so it gets in all the little places. Makes a huge difference in effort.

If not, really safest to spray.

And I personally usually use a 1/2". The wet paint is the difference. And don't dry roll. Load er up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:25:34 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »
Couple things you might want to consider....

How old is the popcorn ceiling?

Have you ever heard of asbestos?

Maybe it's just me but I always think about things like that  :-\

I'm pretty sure there was a thread around here not to long ago about asbestos in pc ceilings.

Good thing to be aware of at least.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:16:39 AM by Jake »
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline saltydog806

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »
Couple things you might want to consider....

How old is the popcorn ceiling?

Have you ever heard of asbestos?

Maybe it's just me but I always think about things like that  :-\

I'm pretty sure there was a thread around here not to long ago about asbestos in pc ceilings.

Good thing to be aware of at least.
Yes I have heard of asbestos, though that is a VERY good point. House Is 10 years old. No asbestos. ;D

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »
Popcorn ceilings can be a grab-bag of fun and surprises.

Spraying- sometimes the weight of a healthy coat of primer/paint alone can cause a popcorn ceiling to sag in sheets.

Sometimes, although it may not be apparent by looking at it, some areas of a popcorn ceiling may not even be adhering to the sheet rock/plaster to begin with. Apply too much pressure with a roller and you break the brittle bond of the section that isn't adhering with the areas which are....it rolls off onto your roller in sheets.

etc etc etc

IMO, the best scenario is to spray a light coat of oil based primer...not too weighty. Then roll a coat of ceiling paint, while avoiding over-rolling...hit one section and move on. The oil primer offers a seal so the waterbased paint can't break the bond of the popcorn texture to the ceiling.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
Why not suggest removing the popcorn...rather than paint?