Poll

Do you predominately sell one-coat or two-coat paint jobs for exterior repaints?

One-coat: what is important is film build and application technique not the number of coats
1 (20%)
One-coat: HO's either move or want  to change color in 7 years anyway
0 (0%)
Two-coats: most paint systems are designed for two coat application by the manufacturer
2 (40%)
Two-coats: two coats is the best value and quality for the HO
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: June 27, 2009, 10:37:34 AM

Author Topic: One coat or two on Exterior Repaints  (Read 17284 times)

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
One coat or two on Exterior Repaints
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »
I am curious to your-all's approach regarding selling one-coat or two-coats on exterior repaints.  I have heard different reasons for doing it different ways and I'd enjoy your thoughts on the subject. :)

Thanks all!

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
Re: One coat or two on Exterior Repaints
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
I think it depends on the job.  I can't really be that salesman that you are supposed to be in the business world and go to every exterior bid with the attitude that you are selling the customer two coats whether it needs it or not.  If the paint is in good shape and you are painting with the same color, a spot prime and one coat may give the customer the best bang for their buck.  Sure, you can always argue that two coats is better than one, but is that really giving the customer the best value?

Offline decoman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
I am curious to your-all's approach regarding selling one-coat or two-coats on exterior repaints.  I have heard different reasons for doing it different ways and I'd enjoy your thoughts on the subject. :)

Thanks all!

did you post this over at painttalk as well?
MAK -
Decoman

Offline LJ

• LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »

Thanks all!

Nope, must have been someone else wondering the same thing.  Now I'm curious, I'll need to go check out painttalk.

Edit: The thread on Painttalk was good, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:27:08 PM by LJ »

Vin

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
I agree with Carl it depends, BUT  I will add always back roll.

My aunts house which I spot primed and did a  one coat application and back rolled  was painted 7 years ago with a ICI Delux and its holding up very well, the facia got 2 coats because the wood was bad and cracking and peeled paint to the wood, it was primed then double coated its holding up also.

Offline decoman

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

Thanks all!

Nope, must have been someone else wondering the same thing.  Now I'm curious, I'll need to go check out painttalk.

Edit: The thread on Painttalk was good, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts here.

Most of my repaints are rough cedar siding here in Chicago burbs.. (mcmansions we call them) and will brush and roll first coat and roll second coat always most repaints are taking place after 5-7 yrs and one coats does look good after applied that second coat makes the color richer and probably gives a few extra yrs. The one we did in May of this yr was a re-paint from us and it was at yr 8 south side was the only side that really needed it this time around.
MAK -
Decoman

Offline LJ

• LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
I usually sell SW Duration as a one-coat product for one coat repaints.  I sell SuperPaint or Resilience, also by SW, as my two coat option, though really, I try to sell clients what best fits their goals and budget.  I do my best to explain the pro's and con's of the different approaches, give them prices and let them do the choosing.  Sometimes I'll give four or so options: one-coat, two-coat, one-coat with two coats on the South surfaces... etc.  But like you all have said, it just depends on the client and the job.  Some folks don't want four options.  They say, bid if for two coats of A-100, so I do.

anything