Author Topic: Latest Job - bathroom repaint and remural...  (Read 24749 times)

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
Latest Job - bathroom repaint and remural...
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Well I have spent the last two weeks on this house and I just finished yesterday. Thought I'd share some "before and afters", this is the same client that hired me to do that tuscan plaster finish. I also repainted his laundry room and his office, so I have been a busy girl! Enjoy and please feel free to comment if you so desire.

Here's the Bathroom before, these colors should be illegal! ;D

And here's the repaint, SW Duration interior satin and ProClassic SG Trim:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:02:07 PM by PainterJan »
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
Re: Latest Job - bathroom repaint and remural...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
Here's the sink area before:

And after with the addition of the new mural and a couple of new pieces of art:

Here's a closer view of the mural, it's the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse which is in my home town area:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:05:16 PM by PainterJan »

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
And this is the tub area, still with the lovely colors  ::)....

And here's the repaint and new mural addition, along with a stencil border:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:07:40 PM by PainterJan »

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »
This was over the tub, someone was trying to be creative but just didn't quite make it:

This is what I replaced it with:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:09:05 PM by PainterJan »

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »
And this is another view of the tub before the repaint:

And the new stuff:

Here's a detail of the sailboat mural, sorry not great lighting I'm going to take my tripod when I go back next week:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:11:09 PM by PainterJan »

Offline wje

• Wes Evans Painting
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »
Wow, looks great in there... I take it you did all the murals aswell? Awsome job!!

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
Wow, looks great in there... I take it you did all the murals aswell? Awsome job!!

Yep, I did the murals, it was a lot of fun! I enjoy jobs like this where the client tells me to pick the colors and designs, of course there were sketches etc. that were shown and approved but for the most part it was open. Thanks very much for responding, I am really proud of this job and wanted to share it.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Nice Jan- had you done the previous work as well?

Best I can do is smeer pigment around!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Jan great work. I bet you stay busy with this type of work. The before pics were awful. You pulled the colors together great.  :)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline decoman

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
nice job on the murals.. My personal taste I don't care for them only because most are not done well or place correctly etc... you did  a nice job tho. the original color is close to what is in my kids bath... South Beach by BM..
MAK -
Decoman

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:29:16 PM »
Jan great work. I bet you stay busy with this type of work. The before pics were awful. You pulled the colors together great.  :)

Lynjo

Thanks very much, I have had a great feedback and many people are interested in this type of work and I hope it will generate a extra paycheck eventually. It's a life/personal goal type of thing. However, it is a challenge to find someone to pay for this level of detail, this was a special situation. And that horrid color HAD to go LOL!!!!

I hope I can continue to do all of the prep and painting for a while, I really, really DO enjoy being a painter and I think it is a wonderful complement to the artist side of me. Plus, I am VERY particular about how my surfaces are prepared, I know maybe one day I'll have to relenquish that to someone else.

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:04 AM »
Its all on how you market yourself. I do a lot of decorative work AND general painting, including prep for other decorative painters. There is a whole bunch of "faux" (I hate that word) that know nothing about straight painting, never mind prep. I sub out and stay busy. This also allows me less time spent on marketing as once I got a handful of these companies, they get the jobs for me. And I bill out the same as if I were bidding so all is good. Plus more times than not, i'm used in the decorative work too. The down side is I work from Maine to DC so I travel a lot but sometimes its all good. Just got back from Cape Cod (straight painting) and Sat. head for Hershey PA. (hanging a mural in the Hershey museum)......Who dosnt like Chocolate?!!!

Heres where I was in April.  http://www.decoartisans.com/Recent%20travels.htm

Oh, and good work! just keep networking and it will fall into place.

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »
Its all on how you market yourself. I do a lot of decorative work AND general painting, including prep for other decorative painters. There is a whole bunch of "faux" (I hate that word) that know nothing about straight painting, never mind prep. I sub out and stay busy. This also allows me less time spent on marketing as once I got a handful of these companies, they get the jobs for me. And I bill out the same as if I were bidding so all is good. Plus more times than not, i'm used in the decorative work too. The down side is I work from Maine to DC so I travel a lot but sometimes its all good. Just got back from Cape Cod (straight painting) and Sat. head for Hershey PA. (hanging a mural in the Hershey museum)......Who dosnt like Chocolate?!!!

Heres where I was in April.  http://www.decoartisans.com/Recent%20travels.htm

Oh, and good work! just keep networking and it will fall into place.

Thanks Roadog... that window with the stars over it is stunning. I am doing a residence right now that I think will benefit from a small amount of metallic/foil accents, more on the bronze side rather than gold.

I'm glad someone else hates the "F" word  ;D as much as I do. It's tough to describe your work to people without using it though. I am really just beginning my career in this area even though I have worked as a graphic artist for thirty years and have been painting since I was a teen.

I don't mind some travel so I am reaching out to market myself in other areas; I'm getting ready to buy a new (well new to me) van that is roadworthy so that will help a lot.

Thanks very much for the comments and for sharing that link.

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
Where do you live??? what state. I know a lot of people and we occasionally have large jobs that need people. We would always bring on painters for decorative stuff that know how to prep and paint (straight) before the person who took a week faux class and thinks they are a painter.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »
Roadie- just a little to busy for my taste.
 JK!  Awesome!  What kind of place is that all dolled up??
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)