Author Topic: Anyone ever spray railings?  (Read 8941 times)

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
Anyone ever spray railings?
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
I have a small railing job and can't stand doing them. I was thinking about spraying them using a small HVLP touch up gun, cutting the paint and air WAY back and getting up real close. But still, the overspray, a mess, a waste.

Thoughts? Just brush em?
Thanks.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
Re: Anyone ever spray railings?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
I have sprayed lots of railings with an airless. If you use the right tip and dial it down just right overspray is a minimum. Of course you would still want ot drop and mask off what ever needed to be.

If it is small you might want to just brush the thing.
Sean

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
good feedback. thanks.

in terms of tips im using a 1mm tip since it's just a touch up gun. I plan on getting up nice and close and catching the overspray with a big piece of cardboard! The porch has to be painted too so I'm not overly concerned with getting anything on it... although I will use something just in case.... 

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:43:52 PM »
Is the job small enough to use a Preval sprayer?

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:20 PM »
uhhhh.... probably not, but I don't own one anyway.  I could just use spray paint but that, to me, is weekend warrior stuff and not very professional looking. This is the ideal job for a small turbine unit but i don't own one of those, either! lol. Godda lug the 5gal compressor. oh well, I'm thinking I can do 3 light coats in a day considering the warmth.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
I'd break out the mini roller and a bucket grid... if they are square sided ...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
yeah, same here.... but they're are skinny rot iron rails. total pita. I never could stand the tediousness of painting rails.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »
I haven't painted iron rails in a while, but when I do I use a painters mitt. They are hard to find though.

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline jaz

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 09:26:37 PM »
hi mgm painting. i am currently doing some interior iron ballastrading. im am using hvlp and using a quick dry urethane enamel. thinning it with thinners. the good part of the product is u can just build up the thickness and coverage by putting wet on wet on wet. literally waiting 2 min to flash off and repeat. also being nearly as thin as laquer the amount of air needed is absloute minimal so will keep ya overspray down. cheers

Offline Mr Edd

• The Famous Mr Edd
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
Dunno if this is any help but...  A while ago I had over a mile of picket fence to do in Australia.  I was fortunate to have a couple of Santa's little helpers tho.  I got a couple of sheets of 2.4m X 1.2m ply cut them in half lengthwise and got one helper to hold one up close against the back of the fence while I sprayed the front. One piece underneath the fence. Then another set ready for the next section.  as I got to the end of the sheet helper no 1 would grab the next sheet while helper two move the first along after wiping any over spray on it back into a spare can.  We did the whole thing two coats in one day.  I was using a Greco Ultra 400 at the time (still got it actually).

Just a thought???

Edd
I'd be dyslexic if I could spell ti

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
mjm, oil or latex?

anything